Our valued sponsor

Digital goods, E-commerce

specter

Offshore Agent
Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Dear all,

as with so many here, I am new to the whole offshore idea, and have a couple of questions. Please help me understand.

I am giving you all the details that I think could help below. My questions will be at the end. Please feel free to ask me for further information/clarification.

The situation:

1. I am a German citizen, who currently lives and works in the UK.

2. I do not want to commit tax evasion. ( just to clarify, as some people ask this here :) ) I am looking for reasonable tax optimization. (with reasonable I mean: considerable savings, but it shouldn´t cost me alot upfront and not take months to set up)

3. I have a decent job in the UK and am paying full income taxes in the UK.

4. I am about to start a company in a field I am very experienced in and had previously a company and did quite well.

5. My new company will specialize in digital goods. I can work from anywhere, however, I am happy living in the UK (and likely would not move until 2013-2014).

6. My customers are from around the world. I will receive most payments from customers in the US (I estimate ~50%), the other will be Europe (~35%), and rest of Central and East Asia (~12%), rest will be Africa etc (~3%). This will not change much over the next 2-3 years.

7. I am planning to run this company side by side to my job. I will keep my main job and I will keep paying income taxes on my current job in the UK.

8. If I should move to another country, I plan to keep on working a regular job (and pay income taxes, wherever I live), unless I will make several millions with my new business, but let´s say I will realistically only make 100k-200k per year for the next 2-3 years to come. I am in this for the long run though, and do expect higher incomes in 5-10 years time, but until then, lets please assume I keep working my regular job and pay income taxes on it, and do not need to pay myself any salary through my new business.

9. I want tax optimization, but within reason. What I am trying to say: I do not intend to spend a huge amount on this first stage of the business, but want to get an easy start into offshoring (so no big jumps at the beginning). If I can save 5-10% on taxes, great, if I can save more, awesome - but it should not require me to fly around the world at this stage, just to open a bank account :)

10. As I said, I will not need to pay myself a salary through my new business, HOWEVER, I want to make sure that I do not run into any problems using my company´s revenue to keep on building my company (example: at the beginning I will use payment gateways to process credit card charges, so the country / company / bank solution I need has to be 100% accepted, 100% legal, and offer internet banking to pay for company bills/expenses etc)

11. I am planning to start paying myself a salary through the new business in maybe 1-2 years time, at that point I would be willing to move on to another country, e.g. for tax optimization, however, I will likely not abandon my home country, the UK, or the US (places I like to live) just to avoid income taxes. I believe in paying income taxes on your salary, but want to do it smartly, and to some extend optimized (i.e. just as Mitt Romney lives in the US and pays only 13.9% tax .. don´t know exactly how, has something to do with capital gains tax, but would love to understand this in full, but as I do not plan to pay myself any salary for the next 1-2 years, this should be kept in context).

My questions:

1) Given the above scenario, what´s a good place for me to incorporate?

2) Where should I open a bank account for my business? (Please note: As I am new to offshoring, I do not intend to send $15000 to some country at this point in time :) see point 9 and 10)

3) What are the costs involved?

4) How long does it take?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to read your comments.

Best

Specter

Reactions: JohnLocke
Welcome aboard :)

The key point here is that you live in the UK and from what I understand, then you will also conduct the business from there, if that's the case, you will need to pay regular income tax in the UK, the best would be to consult a local tax adviser to see what options there may be to reduce the tax.

Only if you can proof the company to be managed and controlled from abroad i.e. Cyprus (most often accomplished by nominees) then your company will be exempted from any tax liabilities in the UK. It will be difficult to proof this with digital service. However, I believe there are good chances, that you can reduce the tax dramatically just by consulting a local tax adviser as already mentioned.

Hello Specter,

Welcome to the forum. There are so many countries for you to consider when looking to incorporate. Your options can be any country outside the UK and Germany! I would suggest the Caribbean, since I am from there and we're very far removed from issues such as EU currency battles and economic turmoil. :D Offshore companies can have a bank account anywhere in the world, so again, you've got plenty of options. However, consider that many banks require that if you are using merchant accounts for payments processing that you need to incorporate in the same country as the bank's domicile. Costs range depending upon your needs and wishes, the service provider and the country of incorporation.

I would estimate a basic incorporation to be around 800-900 pounds for the first year. The process can be completely quickly provided that the service provider has all the information required such as KYC, terms and conditions and other miscellaneous information, not to mention payment!

Admin said:
Welcome aboard :)
The key point here is that you live in the UK and from what I understand, then you will also conduct the business from there, if that's the case, you will need to pay regular income tax in the UK, the best would be to consult a local tax adviser to see what options there may be to reduce the tax.
Thank you for writing.. hmmm .. but why would I still need to pay income tax if I do not pay myself a salary for the first couple of years through my company? (see above.. I will of course however pay income tax for my income I get through my regular "day job" that is independent of my company)...

I don't believe that you would have to pay income tax if you did not receive a salary or dividends. Consider any obligations or liabilities on the IBC re: onshore trading from HMRC.

You really want to consult a local tax adviser... also please check this link HM Revenue & Customs: Non-residents: frequently asked questions

Happy reading :hello:

Latest Threads