Our valued sponsor

FBME vs. Bank Of Cyprus

Josephj

Offshore Agent
May 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I know that these topics just go around in circles, but I've been looking around and I couldn't seem to find an answer. This thread hinted at it, but didn't answer it definitively.

invalid1c/forum/f16/fbme-cyprus-bank-account-easy-free-open-bank-account-good-18409/

I went with a company to form a UK company, and then I used their service to open a Cyprus bank account. The bank account was with FBME. They luckily turned me down, but the process took 1.5 months. The company formation person told me it would take 2 weeks at most. I get the feeling that he is lying, but haven't found anything for sure.

That failed, so then he applied for the Bank Of Cyprus bank account. He told me that that takes about 24 hours to be approved. We hit the banking crisis, so it was inevitably delayed, but I'm again smelling an overly optimistic prediction (it took about 1.5 months again).

Then he told me that a paypal account in Cyprus only takes a day to get set up. Again, a load of rubbish.

So-

Does FBME really only take two weeks to get a fully set up bank account? (I'm not talking about IBAN numbers, I'm talking about a fully set up company).

Is Bank of Cyprus a good bank to use?

I don't think that I'll be using him again. I think that he explains the easy stuff very well only in order to upsell the more expensive useless stuff at a later date. I reckon that he must have been really sad that the FBME application was turned down so he lost the potential fees and had to do extra work. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently, FBME has been taking anywhere from one to six weeks to set up an account. It varies very much on a case-by-case basis.

FBME is a rather unique bank, in that it has virtually zero exposure to the debt crisis in Greece, Cyprus, and other problematic Eurozone countries. I would refrain from using any other Cypriot banks at this point, if any at all.

Well, FBME is a little more complicated to open an bank account with, however, as Zqq already said they are rather a unique bank.

Hello,

I'm sorry for not replying sooner. Thank you for your reply. I really like that there is a forum that is in use about these kinds of things and that there are some very knowledgeable people who are ready to answer.

Jo