Our valued sponsor

How to Travel Light for a Year-Long Journey Across Europe and Beyond?

Lol....hell no.

I walk around most days with a straw hat, old t-shirt, ripped cargo shorts drinking with a straw from a coconut :cool:.

Casual-look-with-straw-hat.jpg
I can imagine that you look like this, it would fit your profile, though I think you are older given the knowledge you possess.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnLocke
I can imagine that you look like this, it would fit your profile, though I think you are older given the knowledge you possess.

Yes way older in retirement age range.

I'm happy to see that we have some digital nomads around us who can contribute with useful information on the subject.

What matters is where you are going to and how you are going to move. After taking these points into consideration you decide what to take. One year can be spend in different ways at different places. Even inside the same countries this can be different.

I travel with:

Tech
1x laptop
1x laptop sleeve
1x phone
1x charger and cables for both
1x battery pack

Personal care items (very minimalist)
multiple ziplock bags (IKEA 1,2 ltr, works perfect for flying with liquids)

Clothes
1x jeans
1x shorts
1x swimming and work out shorts
3x short-sleeve
2x long-sleeve
1x (fleece) hoodie
5x underwear
3x socks
1x compression/laundry bag
1x packing cube
1x sweat pants
1x beanie
1x baseball cap

Normally for a traveling day I wear sneakers, socks, underwear jeans, wrinkle free dress-shirt, baseball cap, 3 seasons jacket with detachable liner

Shoes
1x dress shoes (good enough for semi formal settings)
1x running shoes
1x flip flops

Paperwork
Passport
Drivers license
Everything else is digitally available

Various
2x sunglasses
1x travel towel
1x water bottle
1x wallet with cards etc.

I also carry 500 euro, 250 chf and another 250 euro worth in local currency in cash on me in various places. And I use a decoy wallet.

The above I manage to get into a 40ltr backpack, definitely in a carry-on trolley or a RedOxx Airboss (one of my favorites). It weighs approximately 15-16kg. I never have questions at airports as it doesnt look bulky and heavy.

If I miss something, ill replace it locally. I have per country a budget for 100 euro for missing or broken items. That includes shampoo and you name it.

For occasions, say I need to show up formally dressed, I'll rent.

second vote for merino wool,
i suggest wool everything, socks, underwear, undershirts
buy 2 wool suits, 1 in blue, 1 in grey and you can mix pieces and create several outfits.
there are even merino button down shirts nowadays that drape well, hold their shape, and don't even need to be washed, can just be aired outside.

Here is my kit:

Laptop with 4G/5G modem, 5ber SIM loaded with Airalo Global eSIM

Belkin BoostCharge Pro 140W 4-Port USB-C GaN Charger, comes with travel adapters

Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600mAh 87W power bank

Belkin 3 meter braided USB-C 100W 3 meter charging cable (cab014bt3mbk)

Kramer Electronics 3 meter HDMI cable, for using the hotel/Airbnb TV as a 2nd display

Ugreen 10919 USB-C hub with Ethernet, for laptop and/or updating OsmAnd offline maps

iPhone + Google Pixel with GrapheneOS, both with two eSIMs: OneSimCard for GSM calls/SMS, and Airalo for data (or a cheaper, local SIM assuming registration is not required)

Iridium 9555 satellite phone

JBL Live 460NC headphones in a Geekria case

Travel belt from Decathlon: Money belt TRAVEL black FORCLAZ | Decathlon

5.11 Rush 24 2.0 backpack (power bank fits in the side pocket)

SafeGuard CoolMAX IIIA bulletproof vest: CoolMAX IIIA Schusssichere Weste - Weiß

Defenol 50ml CS spray, that I ship to myself between the countries

Leatherman Super Tool 300 EOD

At least 1500 USD/EUR, depending on the country and duration of stay

Seiko 5, looks like a Rolex 126000 but costs about 5k EUR less, hoes can't tell the difference

A dozen credit and debit cards

Cohiba Shorts

P.S. I would really like to carry a Beretta M85 (or M86, due to the tip-up barrel)

These are one of the best things you can have when travelling. I use a few more than you and separate out my clothes in each. I have the Eagle Creek brand, however, plenty of others around. Makes packing much easier.
I don’t get the point of putting stuff inside a cube which goes inside another bag, seems just a way to waste space.
Vacuum bags on the other hand can help with saving space.

P.S. I would really like to carry a Beretta M85 (or M86, due to the tip-up barrel)
always be super careful when handling your weapons and ammo. See what happened recently in the Turks & Caicos: Wife of Virginia man facing Turks and Caicos prison breaks her silence

Reactions: DomOCT
These are one of the best things you can have when travelling. I use a few more than you and separate out my clothes in each. I have the Eagle Creek brand, however, plenty of others around. Makes packing much easier.
I used eagle creek myself as well. Until unfortunately the tore at the zipper. I then bought ones from ikea. They also work perfect.

I don’t get the point of putting stuff inside a cube which goes inside another bag, seems just a way to waste space.
The latest cube versions also let you compress your clothes.

Reason why I have one is organization. You can compare it to have a tech pouch for cables and other tech things you bring with you or a toiletries bag..

For me it's about organisation, not space. I haven't used vacuum bags so can't compare.

Whats bags are everyone using?

I use the OGIO Rig 9800 bag. Had it for 14 years and it used to be marketed as a motocross bag and now seems to be a travel bag. Only issue is the wheels broke and I replaced with scooter wheels. An improvement and if I bought a new one I'd change them on day one. It's a mix of hard and soft shell so offers protection and also expansion/contraction. For the first few years I used their similar golf bag to travel with a BMX bike.

Carry on is a no longer available Crumpler Whickey and Cox laptop/camera specific bag. Good design with the zip is on the other size compared to most. Means it can't be opened by someone whilst on my back. Confuses the airport security people when they do a further inspection as well. Separate sections and good for keeping things organised and easily accessible.

Reactions: polonieth
well the most important things are 1. securing access to money (however you achieve that is entirely up to your situation), 2. visa / passport (keep in mind visa which will expire while absent or being needed where you go, passport validity and flight tickets back if required) and 3. being able to run your business or whatever it is which secures point 1.
In case you need special medical things, securing these and being able to source is right at 1. (Normal medical conditions can be treated everywhere and medicine is available).
These are top priorities.

Unless you go to the African bush or other off track ventures, you can buy whatever you need along the way and gift it away once you leave (or keep if you want). The big pro is you will fit in naturally since you bought local clothes.
Otherwise a set of universally clothing lasting 5-7days until the next washing cycle.

Pacsafe 15l backpack (has steel net inside and can be tied to furniture so doubles as a soft safe box) I don't trust the hotel safes since often the staff has the master code and theft is usually done by staff.) - for laptop, valuables and electronics (I often travel with expensive watches)

Wandrd backpack/dufflebag with built-in organization ala packing cubes for clothes. It can be carried on, but also checked in if needed. The beauty of it is that you don't need to unpack the clothes, you just open it and everything is readily available. I don't even use hotel wardrobes. Makes unpacking and packing very efficient. I like to change hotels every few days so I can explore more of the city (and also stay ahead of the police :) )

On me I have phone, little cash, many cards (some cards in the backpack as well) and depending on the city glock 19 or small knife and a flashlight (for strict countries)
Depending on climate and situation I might have a (either rugged foxbat one or pacsafe) fanny pack (but not on the waist, that is gay) with sunglasses, power bank, wet wipes, pepper spray, mini multi-tool, flashlight etc small items.

I couldn't help but notice majority here travels with just 3x socks, excuse moa but that is barbarian! :) I travel with 10x+ socks and sometimes just throw them in the trash bin when used just to feel the wealth you know :)

I couldn't help but notice majority here travels with just 3x socks, excuse moa but that is barbarian! :) I travel with 10x+ socks and sometimes just throw them in the trash bin when used just to feel the wealth you know :)
I am one of those.

I walk a lot on flip flops. It’s why I can do with less socks

Whats bags are everyone using?
The Airboss from RedOxx.
Over the years I have tried a lot. Until now, I think that I am most satisfied with this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: polonieth

Latest Threads