Our valued sponsor

Interest on USD in EU - Bond trading

European

Mar 10, 2023
Iceland
Visit site
Hi all,
I am looking to put some money away to generate interest in USD. I'm a based in the EU
1. What options are there paying a good interest?
2. Any ideas on platforms in the EU with low commission to trade bonds (American and European mainly)

Thanks

No idea about bonds.

Reactions: European
2. Any ideas on platforms in the EU with low commission to trade bonds (American and European mainly)
Bond trading is usually done OTC.
Some online brokers might offer the option to buy retail bonds on stock exchanges. Even the most expensive private bank does that cheaper (because they only trade OTC) since the price of one and the same bond is much better OTC than on a stock exchange.
Understand that pricing is done OTC and depends on several factors. One is, of course, your volume.

In short: Do not look for a "platform", look for a good bank!

Bond trading is usually done OTC.
Some online brokers might offer the option to buy retail bonds on stock exchanges. Even the most expensive private bank does that cheaper (because they only trade OTC) since the price of one and the same bond is much better OTC than on a stock exchange.
Understand that pricing is done OTC and depends on several factors. One is, of course, your volume.

In short: Do not look for a "platform", look for a good bank!
@backpacker
Does that apply also to government bonds?Those trade mostly on exchanges if I am not mistaken?
Thanks

Does that apply also to government bonds?
With regards to volume, price and liquidity: Yes.
You are almost always better off to buy/sell bonds OTC. The only exception is if you want to buy low volume since OTC requires a certain minimum to make sense.
Those trade mostly on exchanges if I am not mistaken?
They might be listed there (aside from their main listing, done for tax reasons) but the volume goes OTC.
Forget about buying on a stock exchange, if you're fine with the minimum required.