Our valued sponsor

Thai bank account turist visa

Thank you sooooooo much for this lovely information from your experience @Reawake ! It makes good sense that someone can't just walk into a Bangkok Bank and open an account without proper documents. I would have be surprised if that would work.
Used to be walk in, dump 2,000 quid on the table in THB, buy insurance (700THB) walk out with a lousy insurance (i once used it for 25,000 THB in medical costs mind, they refused to renew) and a new bank account.

Still using the bank account to this day well over a decade later.

For simpler openings, usually concentrate on some branch in somewhere like Tesco Lotus...

SCB is usually the easiest.

Reactions: jafo
Rules have recently been significantly tightened so opening a bank account without a long-term visa is very difficult. Easiest is to use an agent, for example Siam Legal in Bangkok. Fees for this are probably around 5000 THB

BANGKOK BANK.jpeg
from March last year. Bangkok bank.

Definitely world has changed unfortunately.

My bro was able to open an account at KB years ago with a passport but honestly he bought a condo and said he needed it to get rent money. I don't even know if it will work today but I guess in these cases better to use a local "fixer" as somebody mentioned here.

I'm actually in Philippines and in the process of opening an account here, but even here they asked me for a local ID card...Which I got so it will be a matter of time I will get it. You literally could walk in banks in here with cash and they would open an account for you but things changed because of this Bangladesh Bank robbery - Wikipedia

Mind sharing some of those fixers? Can't find anything.

Banking got tighter as people mentioned here. The usual law firms like siam legal stopped providing the service to open a bank account (called them and checked). I wasn't able to create one with Bangkok bank because no work permit.

If anyone knows firms offering this service, please DM :)

Mind sharing some of those fixers? Can't find anything.

Banking got tighter as people mentioned here. The usual law firms like siam legal stopped providing the service to open a bank account (called them and checked). I wasn't able to create one with Bangkok bank because no work permit.

If anyone knows firms offering this service, please DM :)
You can get the residence paper from the immigration in Jomtien for free with no issues. Bangkok is different. Why not go for 3 days, get a room and the residence paper from the immigration, and open a bank account there, it's just 2 hours from BKK and you can use the card everywhere? Worst case, you'll have to pay 3000 THB to an agent, or buy that insurance from the bank to open an account.

Check this thread: The chances this may work? (Opening a thai bank account as a tourist)

Reactions: Marketint