Our valued sponsor

About CRS reporting when opening account in EU bank

DesertHorse

Dec 18, 2022
Oman
Visit site
I have a general question. Atm am residing (and have all my center of life interests) in a low-tax country which is unfortunately considered 'grey', in fatf list and so on.
Now for example I open bank account in EU and when asked for tax number, give tax number of my home country (it is non-EU country and country of my citizenship).
In my current country of residence I do not have tax number obviously.

Bank will be reporting me to my home country, but there is no problem with that as am not tax resident there for several years bcz of me not residing there.
I do not want to give info on my current residence to bank, as it will not help with opening account. Just curious if anybody was in similar situation, my income is legal, occasionally they may ask me for some proof of income, and then I would probably need to tell "this is from where i have income, but sorry, i moved to this faft-greylisted country and receiving it there',
what are the general implications of this scenario?

I have seen banks question a client's claimed residence. One way they might get suspicious is through automated screening of data trails you leave, such as IP address, geo location, phone number, and your address on incoming wires (if you wire money from your account with another bank, where that bank has a different address for you). Even social media posts have been used in some cases to call into question where a person actually lives.

But if you're just some average account holder transacting in a way that doesn't cause any alarms to go off, the worst that'll happen is probably just that they might ask you to update your address. Living in a gray listed jurisdiction doesn't mean banks won't touch you. It just means more questions upfront and higher risk of supporting information being requested for transactions.

Latest Threads