Our valued sponsor

American seeking advice on how to structure company and banking

AmericanNomad

Offshore Agent
May 16, 2016
Visit site
This is my first post here, so hello to all and please excuse my total newbie status. My goal is to legally minimize our taxes and make a long-term plan to take the best advantage of living abroad to help grow our business. Here's the situation:

We're an American couple and we've been living abroad for 8 years so far and plan to continue indefinitely. Although we've lived together for more than 20 years and refer to each other as husband and wife, we aren't legally married. The certificate is unimportant to us, but we're considering whether or not getting married would be helpful for our business, taxes and eventual retirement.

Until recently, we worked as employees for foreign companies so the FEIE took care of everything, but now the self-employment tax is killing us. We have a small online business selling jewelry and other products my wife designs. She's a fine artist and also sells her paintings. Most of our customers are in the US. The business is new, so we both also teach English online via Skype to make ends meet. Both of us teach as independent contractors. I teach for a US company and she teaches for a foreign one.

We currently receive payments for our business and teaching through our American PayPal personal accounts and transfer the money to our US bank accounts. Ideally, we would like to be able to continue accepting payments through PayPal.

We've been moving countries every 3 months or so in and around Europe. Eventually, we would like to get a long-term EU visa.

At the moment we're making very little money, so the initial and ongoing costs are definitely an issue.

What do you think would be the best way to structure our company and banking?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

That's just my thoughts whether it is the best solution in your case or not I can't tell you. However, if you want to structure everything to me less tax heavy and less complicated but be a legit business in Europe I would defiantly look into either the UK or Cyprus both countries offer great opportunities for foreigners and it's easy to incorporate your business there.

Where do you live today? You say you plan to stay somewhere long term in Europe do you already know where that place will be?

First, thanks for your initial replies. :icon_smile:

That's just my thoughts whether it is the best solution in your case or not I can't tell you.
swissbanking The first part of your message seems to reference another idea, but I only see this post about the UK and Cyprus. If you did have another thought, could you please repeat it?

Admin At the moment, we're in Albania. Long-term, our top choice is Spain. We would like to have a home-base there and spend 4-6 months and explore other places the rest of the year. Because of this goal, it would still work essentially the same if we could get a visa in any EU country that didn't restrict how much time you actually live in that country. I've read that Italy has a self-employment visa, which would be another possibility. If we can kill 2 birds with one stone by establishing our company and using it to get visas that would be a bonus.

If we can kill 2 birds with one stone by establishing our company and using it to get visas that would be a bonus.
I doubt it to be possible. Only if you get employed by this company (could be Cyprus or the UK) and if the authorities in the country where the company is registered will accept that and issue a VISA for both of you it can work. I'm not sure how this can be done but I know someone to ask. If I get clarification I will post here!

First, thanks for your initial replies. :icon_smile:
swissbanking The first part of your message seems to reference another idea, but I only see this post about the UK and Cyprus. If you did have another thought, could you please repeat it?

Admin At the moment, we're in Albania. Long-term, our top choice is Spain. We would like to have a home-base there and spend 4-6 months and explore other places the rest of the year. Because of this goal, it would still work essentially the same if we could get a visa in any EU country that didn't restrict how much time you actually live in that country. I've read that Italy has a self-employment visa, which would be another possibility. If we can kill 2 birds with one stone by establishing our company and using it to get visas that would be a bonus.
have you looked into Maltha and Andora for company setup?