Our valued sponsor

Question Anyone managed to recover their Wise deactivation?

marcius

Jul 19, 2022
Singapore
Visit site
I know there are probably hundreds of threads regarding deactivation but I was wondering if anyone has successfully managed to get their account back.

I have been using Wise for about a year thus far, it's great and super user-friendly, absolutely love the convenience of the app.

I decided to create a business account with them because of my great experience thus far and so I opened a business account on my Wise account which meant I now had a personal and business account. It's so convenient to be able to swap out the 2 accounts from the app and the site which meant it was a 1 account fits all kinda deal, you access your Wise account which contains all of your different accounts (business and personal)

The issue is, when I paid the upgrade fee and sent documents for verification, Wise told me that my business isn't supported as it is against their Acceptable Use policy. Fair. I sell video game services and accounts like boosting and smurf accounts. It's considered high risk by many platforms as there is an entire grey area surrounding the fact that it may be infringing IP and is largely frowned upon. I took my chances. However, Wise said that they had to deactivate my account, I thought at first that they were deactivating my business account because the buesiness isn't supported. As it turns out, they deactivated my entire account including my personal account which was used STRICTLY for personal use and the transactions largely involved shopping and daily expenses as well as subscription plans like Netflix and Discord.

I sent in an appeal to reinstate my personal account for the exact reasons stated above. However, knowing most FIs and Banks, I doubt they will even bat an eye and simply leave it closed.

This was largely unfair in my opinion, I know I probably shouldn't have even bothered with attempting to open a business account but I did not know that they'd literally close everything...

don’t even bother trying. Wise is the worst EMI in the world. Plenty of horror stories on this forum and elsewhere.
I've actually had a great experience with Wise up till this incident, they're convenient and they're also the cheapest amongst other EMIs like Revolut and Remitly. Not to mention Wise provides bank account details and they support more currencies (at least in my country) which is really important for me.

Reactions: RealDude
The issue is, when I paid the upgrade fee and sent documents for verification, Wise told me that my business isn't supported as it is against their Acceptable Use policy. Fair.

Ok.....so you understood their view clearly. Now what next.....

I sell video game services and accounts like boosting and smurf accounts. It's considered high risk by many platforms as there is an entire grey area surrounding the fact that it may be infringing IP and is largely frowned upon. I took my chances.

So....you decided to break their rules and you fully understood you were doing wrong....ok....what next.....

However, Wise said that they had to deactivate my account, I thought at first that they were deactivating my business account because the buesiness isn't supported. As it turns out, they deactivated my entire account including my personal account which was used STRICTLY for personal use and the transactions largely involved shopping and daily expenses as well as subscription plans like Netflix and Discord.

Bingo your relationship with EMI got deactivated.

This was largely unfair in my opinion, I know I probably shouldn't have even bothered with attempting to open a business account but I did not know that they'd literally close everything...

Unfair that you willfully broke their AUP and they deactivated your relationship with their EMI? You knew the rules but decided to break them and paid the price. Live with whatever happens now.

I've actually had a great experience with Wise up till this incident, they're convenient and they're also the cheapest amongst other EMIs like Revolut and Remitly. Not to mention Wise provides bank account details and they support more currencies (at least in my country) which is really important for me.
It’s full of EMIs and banks with good apps that will not close all your accounts if you do something “wrong” with just one of them.

He didn't break the rules, he didn't even start using the account, they terminated it during the actual opening process.
Wise is a scam, nothing new to see here.

Ok.....so you understood their view clearly. Now what next.....

So....you decided to break their rules and you fully understood you were doing wrong....ok....what next.....

Bingo your relationship with EMI got deactivated.

Unfair that you willfully broke their AUP and they deactivated your relationship with their EMI? You knew the rules but decided to break them and paid the price. Live with whatever happens now.
To be fair, I did not willfully break AUP as it isn't stated in the AUP that my line of work isn't accepted, platforms like Stripe have explicitly stated that my line of work is not allowed whereas Wise's AUP doesn't state it.
Like I said, I was trying my luck because of how convenient Wise is...

If I had known Wise would terminate our relationship just because I tried to open a business account for business uses to avoid liability on my personal account I wouldn't have done it.

I opened a business account for the sole purpose that I can use Wise for business-related transactions. I have not done anything that violates AUP or TCs on my personal account.

Furthermore, I also haven't even gotten to use the business account as my verification was denied... They didn't support my business, that's fine but why close my personal account too...

It’s full of EMIs and banks with good apps that will not close all your accounts if you do something “wrong” with just one of them.

Wise is a scam, nothing new to see here.
I've searched online, and the main competitors I find are Remitly and Revolut but none have the same ease of access and usability as Wise, unfortunately...

He didn't break the rules, he didn't even start using the account, they terminated it during the actual opening process.
Yes, that's what I was implying as well... Thanks for clarifying. I didn't even get to use the business account, the verification process has concluded my business is against policy so they will close the account. Typically one would assume its only the business account but they ended up closing everything...
My personal account has not been used for business and anything else that would inherently violate policy so why was it closed along with the business account...

From my perspective, it looks like my personal account which I use for my daily expenses was collateral damage which seems largely unjustified...

There's only one thing you can do and that is to send them an email and explain the situation. Good luck
Yes, I did. I do wish that I can go back and send them a more detailed explanation though... Their appeal is only a one-time deal but I wish I had elaborated more on the message. Well... I can't do that anymore so for now I'll just pray they accept my reasoning...

Well... I can't do that anymore so for now I'll just pray they accept my reasoning...

You might get lucky. But if they told you the below and you still went ahead you are to blame. Does not matter whether you got to use the account or it was not yet activated or not. Follow what they tell you or find another EMI.

The issue is, when I paid the upgrade fee and sent documents for verification, Wise told me that my business isn't supported as it is against their Acceptable Use policy. Fair.

You might get lucky. But if they told you the below and you still went ahead you are to blame. Does not matter whether you got to use the account or it was not yet activated or not. Follow what they tell you or find another EMI.
I know it doesn't help to explain but you misunderstand. They told me that at the same time my account got deactivated, it was all within one message "Your business is not supported by AUP so we deactivated your account".

They didn't tell me that prior to closing my account, so I didn't "went ahead" with anything. That's the main reason I feel unjustified. Wise didn't even let me have a say in anything, they asked for more information about my business, I provided that information and they decided my business isn't accepted and closed both business and personal accounts.

The only Wise horror stories you hear are by those who didn't follow their terms of service.

"I moved in $100k from a crypto exchange, and BOOM, they nuked my account; what a terrible service."

"I only transfer $2k from an account in Egypt, and they shut me down."

My account has run flawlessly for several years. I've used it to pay hundreds of individuals and companies, to withdraw thousands from ATMs in Europe, and receive thousands from other businesses and individuals. How can it be so bad?!

The only Wise horror stories you hear are by those who didn't follow their terms of service.
False
"I moved in $100k from a crypto exchange, and BOOM, they nuked my account; what a terrible service."

My account has run flawlessly for several years. I've used it to pay hundreds of individuals and companies, to withdraw thousands from ATMs in Europe, and receive thousands from other businesses and individuals. How can it be so bad?!
You have been lucky.

Reactions: Forester
I know it doesn't help to explain but you misunderstand. They told me that at the same time my account got deactivated, it was all within one message "Your business is not supported by AUP so we deactivated your account".

They didn't tell me that prior to closing my account, so I didn't "went ahead" with anything. That's the main reason I feel unjustified. Wise didn't even let me have a say in anything, they asked for more information about my business, I provided that information and they decided my business isn't accepted and closed both business and personal accounts.

Ah ok maybe I misunderstood the sequence of events. I apologize. That is indeed unfair. However I don't think they will be justified in closing your personal account. Likely just done for security reasons. Wait and see what they do and let us know.

Reactions: Forester
Ah ok maybe I misunderstood the sequence of events. I apologize. That is indeed unfair. However I don't think they will be justified in closing your personal account. Likely just done for security reasons. Wait and see what they do and let us know.
Yea.. Unfortunate, I believe I still have a small chance to get reactivated however, I also belive the odds are not on my side.

Those are people that didn't abide by their ToS, I never violated anything and my account was deactivated at the verification phase. I have email screenshots to prove it as well albeit even if I did provide said screenshots, it doesn't help my situation.

Open a few new account and don't use their business banking offering.
I believe most FIs keep a record of their customers as it is KYC, the KYC prevents you from having duplicate accounts under the same name. The only way I can think to create a new account would be to ask a family member to register for me to use but once again, this violates Wise AUP as they do not allow you to 'share' accounts unless given permission by Wise themselves.
And yes, if I were to get reinstated, I'm definitely not messing with Wise's business accounts or any other external account types they offer for that matter.

Also, absolutely loving how this community is so responsive.

I have seen this and similar happening in the last few months. It's clear that Wise is under pressure to improve their AML and KYC procedures, with the usual side effect that it goes too far and negatively impacts legitimate clients.

They usually stick to their decisions, especially if the business is your sole/primary source of income. But on a few occasions, I've seen them let people use their personal accounts after the business account was rejected.

It doesn't hurt to ask but the chances of success are unfortunately low.

Open a few new account and don't use their business banking offering.
Absolutely under no circumstance do this. What are you even thinking recommending something like this?

Update: Guys, I've emailed support pleading for help and asking why all my accounts got suspended at once.

I got a response from their support!

Capture.PNG

It states that when an account violates the AUP the entire account gets deactivated. However, they aren't exactly banning me from their service as they also further mentioned I can continue using Wise. Really odd method of dealing with accounts in my opinion. Also, the word "violates" really seems misplaced here... I haven't "violated" their AUP? All I did was open a business account and provided all the documents they requested of me. The business itself may be unsupported by the AUP but since I haven't done anything and I was kind of stopped before anything could even take place, I haven't violated the AUP... Right?

Either way, I have replied to said email and asked for further clarification on why Wise cannot simply close the business account and leave the personal account open. I also asked if I could proceed with the recommendation to use the same email and details as well as any potential differences I may face for having been suspended once.

I have seen this and similar happening in the last few months. It's clear that Wise is under pressure to improve their AML and KYC procedures, with the usual side effect that it goes too far and negatively impacts legitimate clients.

They usually stick to their decisions, especially if the business is your sole/primary source of income. But on a few occasions, I've seen them let people use their personal accounts after the business account was rejected.

It doesn't hurt to ask but the chances of success are unfortunately low.

Absolutely under no circumstance do this. What are you even thinking recommending something like this?
Yes, exactly that. Wise has grown too big too fast and is under more scrutiny and pressure. Thank god their support (at least from my experience so far) hasn't deteriorated much. They definitely have slower response times now but fair is fair.

Also, take a look at my Update. It turns out Wise themselves is allowing me to create a new account. Odd right? Definitely, the first time I've seen this from a Fintech that operates like a bank.

All I have to do now is be patient and I can hopefully sort through this mess.
(Never opening a business account with them ever, even when I move into a new line of business. I'll just stick to my local bank from now and pay their monthly fees because at least I wouldn't have to deal with this)

I'm also told they are able to reimburse me all my money in the account as well as the $54 fee I paid for the business account. Will keep everyone posted on how this pans out.

Pray that everything goes smooth and they do not pull a fast one on me and back out on their words or whatever.

Last edited: