Our valued sponsor

Anyone think about setting up off shore company in China?

Laowu

Mar 17, 2022
HongKong
Visit site
Hello everyone

Last month, the central gov of China released a statement that after 2025, an island called Hainan will operate outside of China Customs’ jurisdiction. Customs duties will apply to items entering mainland China from Hainan, while products moving in the opposite direction will count as exports. they said that Hainan will be a Free Trade Port of the world. it is like a China version of Cayman islands or BVI or Singapore, no product restrictions ,no foreign exchange restrictions at all

So as my understanding, China send a message to the world, if you have money, you want protection, and you don't trust the westen countries, you can come to me. but my concern is anyone gonna buy that?

Reactions: jafo
Hello everyone

Last month, the central gov of China released a statement that after 2025, an island called Hainan will operate outside of China Customs’ jurisdiction. Customs duties will apply to items entering mainland China from Hainan, while products moving in the opposite direction will count as exports. they said that Hainan will be a Free Trade Port of the world. it is like a China version of Cayman islands or BVI or Singapore, no product restrictions ,no foreign exchange restrictions at all

So as my understanding, China send a message to the world, if you have money, you want protection, and you don't trust the westen countries, you can come to me. but my concern is anyone gonna buy that?
China already has like 20 free-zones, how is this one different?

Source:

China already has like 20 free-zones, how is this one different?

Source:

There is no official details of Hainan FTP at this moment, but you can read this for more information

And, rumor in China says Hainan is an upgrade version of Hongkong, will have all policy benifits which HK have, and Hainan is much more stable than HK, because Hainan is fullly controlled by Beijing

Not sure this plan gonna work or not, we'll see

Probably not because at the end of the day, they are still commies

Good point, but what if the WEST is not safe anymore, what's the next place you plan to go? Dubai or Singapore? they are good but they are small and weak countries, i don't think they can protect your money in all situations, China can say NO to the US, no matter you are FBI or CIA or some other. small countries can't do that, like Swiss, we all know that

Last edited:
Good point, but what if the WEST is not safe anymore, what's the next place you plan to go? Dubai or Singapore? they are good but they are small and weak countries, i don't think they can protect your money in all situations, China can say NO to the US, no matter you are FBI or CIA or some other. small countries can't do that, like Swiss, we all know that
That is also a good point. There are options though, especially with substance.

Hello everyone

Can you tell me more? I go to China a lot.

Good luck to set up an offshore in Hainan. Have you ever set up a business in China and lived in China?
If you need to receive money from an outside wire transfer, they require the contract between parties and each time you need to provide the invoice to the bank to be able to receive funds. Getting money out of China we wouldn't even consider to try, that's why there is Hong Kong which is still the financial gateway between China and the world.

Capital control is a serious headache and although Hong Kong is losing a part of it's charm and rule of law is deteriorating, HK is still unbeatable as a financial hub. For over a decade China already says it will become a financial center and take over Hong Kong. With their capital control it won't happen.

Qianhai and Henqin in the greater bay area are an example and definitely much more financially developed (and integrated with Hong Kong, Macau) compared to Hainan. Setting up something in an economic zones only makes sense if you do business in China and definitely there is a financial development, but only focused on those living in China and keeping the money inside China. Substance is required as you need to rent an office space which can easily cost 2000 usd a month and authorities will check your office space. There are some ways around it but just as in other Asian countries, you can most of the time get away with things, until you aren't lucky anymore and the consequences can be very severe if you are in China as a foreigner. For local Chinese they are more flexible and have less requirements.

Most wealthy Chinese people set up structures and find ways to get their money outside China, this is for a reason.

Reactions: Wolf
Good luck to set up an offshore in Hainan. Have you ever set up a business in China and lived in China?
If you need to receive money from an outside wire transfer, they require the contract between parties and each time you need to provide the invoice to the bank to be able to receive funds. Getting money out of China we wouldn't even consider to try, that's why there is Hong Kong which is still the financial gateway between China and the world.

Capital control is a serious headache and although Hong Kong is losing a part of it's charm and rule of law is deteriorating, HK is still unbeatable as a financial hub. For over a decade China already says it will become a financial center and take over Hong Kong. With their capital control it won't happen.

Qianhai and Henqin in the greater bay area are an example and definitely much more financially developed (and integrated with Hong Kong, Macau) compared to Hainan. Setting up something in an economic zones only makes sense if you do business in China and definitely there is a financial development, but only focused on those living in China and keeping the money inside China. Substance is required as you need to rent an office space which can easily cost 2000 usd a month and authorities will check your office space. There are some ways around it but just as in other Asian countries, you can most of the time get away with things, until you aren't lucky anymore and the consequences can be very severe if you are in China as a foreigner. For local Chinese they are more flexible and have less requirements.

Most wealthy Chinese people set up structures and find ways to get their money outside China, this is for a reason.
Yes, that's very true at this moment in mainland China, regulations and rules kill the off shore business here. i am Chinese and i know exactly what you talking about

And that's why they need change, Hainan is an revolutionary experiment, China wants get into the business, they want people send their money to China, they want to be the financial center of the world, but China is so big. they can't open all China, so they decided just open one province to the world. in this province, you can do business like in HK or Singapore.

However like i said before, no one knows this plan gonna work or not, even some local Chinese think this is not gonna work, all we can do is just keep our eye on it and see what will happen then

Mike, please don't take the following as an affront...I am just trying to keep things narrowly focused for me... Are you talking here out of
(1) Personal experience or
(2) hearsay?

Yes, that's very true at this moment in mainland China, regulations and rules kill the off shore business here. i am Chinese and i know exactly what you talking about
When you say "kill the offshore business", what exactly do you mean?

(1) Selling overseas?

(2) Something else. If something else, could you please explain?

Mike, please don't take the following as an affront...I am just trying to keep things narrowly focused for me... Are you talking here out of
(1) Personal experience or
(2) hearsay?

When you say "kill the offshore business", what exactly do you mean?

(1) Selling overseas?

(2) Something else. If something else, could you please explain?

Hello jafo

in mainland China , you need gov approval to do almost every business, so it is NOT free at all, the bank co-operate with the gov, they ask you many papers before they can do business with you , and most important is China has foreign exchange control or foreign exchange restrictions, you can NOT exchange money here freely, you need explain why you need exchange and wait for approval.

so basicly, mainland China is not a good place for off shore companies

Reactions: jafo

Latest Threads