Our valued sponsor

Armenian conflict - is banking still safe?

You mean the border skirmishes that happen all the time?

If you have an account in Armenia pull your money out asap....lol. I don't think it will come to anything as Russia is the big player in the region and will dictate events. Plus Azerbaijan which is a giant gas pump masquerading as country has a lot to lose.

Reactions: Btraveler
IMO,Azerbaijan will take the upper karabag region back and the conflict between 2 countries will end this time.
As it is a regional issue related to Karabag,i dont think 2 countries will go into WAR completely.

IMO,Azerbaijan will take the upper karabag region back and the conflict between 2 countries will end this time.
As it is a regional issue related to Karabag,i dont think 2 countries will go into WAR completely.
Azerbaijan wouldn't be able to explain why they went further than taking Karabakh. I'm also thinking it may end up suspending conflict after this disputed territory is retained by either side

You mean the border skirmishes that happen all the time?

If you have an account in Armenia pull your money out asap....lol. I don't think it will come to anything as Russia is the big player in the region and will dictate events. Plus Azerbaijan which is a giant gas pump masquerading as country has a lot to lose.
Im misunderstanding your position a bit..
>pull your money out asap
>I don't think it will come to anything
Do you think the conflict wont end up in massive tragedy or it will?

Would be interested to hear from those banking in armenia with the recent revelations today...
So far its totally fine. We will monitor the situation but banking in Armenia was one of my best banking experiences ever so far especially corporate services.

You could receive 40k EUR payments on business and cashing it (in hard cash) out without even providing a single invoice lol. Where else you can pull such stunt?

Azerbaijan wouldn't be able to explain why they went further than taking Karabakh. I'm also thinking it may end up suspending conflict after this disputed territory is retained by either side

Correct.
Now its a chance for Azerbaijan TURKs to retain the KARABAG and i dont think even Russia will be able to stop them as KARABAG is officially belongs AZERBAIJAN

• Haha
Reactions: 420weblazeit
>pull your money out asap
>I don't think it will come to anything

Yes pull your money as first priority. When you hear anything related to instability run and DO NOT wait. I did the same with my money in Georgian banks after the parliament speaker incident.

Do you think the conflict wont end up in massive tragedy or it will?

Doubt it. This is just covid flexing. Azerbaijan is an oil pump it does not want problems despite all the big talk for local audience.

Yes pull your money as first priority. When you hear anything related to instability run and DO NOT wait. I did the same with my money in Georgian banks after the parliament speaker incident.

Doubt it. This is just covid flexing. Azerbaijan is an oil pump it does not want problems despite all the big talk for local audience.
The problem is, our online business is based in Armenia lol. We have very comfy regulations, low tax, cheap card processing in EUR currency (2.7%) and easy-going banking that allows us to receive decent turnover on monthly basis. We cant just pull out that quickly, it'll be hard to explain to our business clients.

The problem is, our online business is based in Armenia lol. We have very comfy regulations, low tax, cheap card processing in EUR currency (2.7%) and easy-going banking that allows us to receive decent turnover on monthly basis. We cant just pull out that quickly, it'll be hard to explain to our business clients.

Well I am sure you knew the history of conflict in Armenia and well aware of the investment risks of operating there. So you may have to just ride it out. Cooler heads may prevail and I don't personally think it will come to anything like I said......fingers crossed.

Well I am sure you knew the history of conflict in Armenia and well aware of the investment risks of operating there. So you may have to just ride it out. Cooler heads may prevail and I don't personally think it will come to anything like I said......fingers crossed.
We really dont have much choice in stashing money for now.

Alternative for migration of business might be Cyprus but their GDPR mess... We have freelance-contractors outside EU handling most customer data, that would be a nightmare to handle this GDPR garbage.

_114669923_nagorno-karabakh_conflict_map_v2_640-nc.png

This conflict is a real shitshow... I have no idea how it can be ever resolved, besides just waiting multiple generations until various ethnic groups move (or mix...).

The official map shows an Armenian exclave in the middle of Azerbaijan, and the reality is even more difficult. In the past, Soviet leadership tried to change the demographics by importing Azeris into the region which didn't work as planned. Now Armenia borders Azerbaijan and also Turkey which declared it can support Azeris with an army. Azerbaijan borders Armenia and also Russia which on the other hand would probably support Armenia.

Georgia borders both countries but probably cannot side with either one, culturally and religiously it is closed to Armenia but economically it is closer to Azerbaijban and it doesn't want to lose the business and tourism coming from both countries...

Oh, did I forget both countries also border Iran and the Kurds? Many Iranians bank there because they would be rejected absolutely everywhere else.

Even given all this, I still wouldn't expect your money in an Armenian bank to disappear or be confiscated. The risk will be something more subtle will happen - a) inflation of the local currency and b) restrictions of handling with euros and dollars. If you need inspiration of what can happen when a country gets into a political and monetary crisis, look at current situation in Lebanese banks.

Georgia borders both countries but probably cannot side with either one, culturally and religiously it is closed to Armenia but economically it is closer to Azerbaijban and it doesn't want to lose the business and tourism coming from both countries...

Well Georgia will have to pick its economic interest. There are oil pipelines running through Georgia from Azerbaijan I believe :confused:.

Oh, did I forget both countries also border Iran and the Kurds? Many Iranians bank there because they would be rejected absolutely everywhere else.

If your talking banking in Armenia then yes they do. Many Iranians and Iraqi's bank there. I don't know if it is still the case in 2020 but certainly a few years ago it was totally normal.

Reactions: tacokai
I would pull out any money in Armenia or Georgia, it could become a shitstorm very quickly

• Haha
Reactions: EUman
Bank system works fine I was approved 150k loan today. it depends in which bank you're being served. Right now there is huge incoming transfers due to donations from diaspora. So banks itself are fine however you never know how this conflict will develop, how long this will go ... it's becoming geopolitical game with many parties involved.
Bank system is looking good honestly, I also think that way