Our valued sponsor

Bank of Valletta (BOV) Loses Last USD Correspondence Bank

Martin Everson

Offshore Retiree
Jan 2, 2018
Visit site

By December its gone. How can Malta's biggest bank not yet have found a USD replacement relationship. We are not talking satabank here we are talking BOV. Is the bank/jurisidiction repuation that bad? Most Nigerian banks have good USD correspondence relationships with major banks so this aint a good look at all for Malta that they are struggling to find replacement.

Updated at 12.58pm with BOV chairman's comments
Bank of Valletta’s last correspondent bank for US dollars transactions is pulling the plug on its relationship with the Maltese bank come December.

ING will stop clearing US dollar transactions for BOV as of December 14, the Maltese bank said in a brief statement to the market on Monday morning.

“Bank of Valletta plc has intensified its endeavours to engage alternative correspondents to minimise any possible operational disruption to its business and its clients,” BOV said in its statement.

Talk of ING ending its relationship with BOV has been swirling for several months, with the Dutch bank reportedly keen to cut ties with smaller jurisdictions it considers to be too risky to be worth serving.

That de-risking exercise follows a hefty €775 million settlement ING agreed to pay for money laundering violations.

Back in May, a BOV official had told Times of Malta that it was preparing for the eventuality of ING ending its relationship with the bank.

“We are preparing for all eventualities and will find ways and means to widen the pool [of US dollar transaction providers],” the official had said.

Bank of Valletta had already lost US dollar services through Deutsche Bank two years ago.

Banks form relationships with other banks to ensure they can move capital quickly and easily between jurisdictions. A 2017 World Bank study found that these correspondent banking relationships have been gradually declining worldwide, as banks become less keen to take on risk and seek ways to cut compliance costs.

'Smaller jurisdictions badly hit' - BOV chairman
BOV chairman Deo Scerri made reference to this general de-risking across the banking industry when speaking to Times of Malta about ING's decision.

"Smaller jurisdictions like Malta are being particularly hard hit, since the volumes of business they generate are not sufficient to be of interest to the larger players," he said.

"In their view, such business does not produce sufficient revenue to justify the costs incurred and the inherent risk".

Mr Scerri said the bank was stepping up efforts to find an alternative US dollar clearing house, while also working internally to reduce its risk profile and strengthen its anti-financial crime structures, which would make it more attractive to potential correspondent banks.
Two "global consultancy firms" were overseeing this process, he added.

Prime Minister Joseph Muscat sought to cast BOV's correspondent bank troubles in a positive light, arguing that they were due to the bank's growth over the past years.

---- end quote

Very interesting topic. It looks like whole economies are losing dollar access at the moment. Well, I am not surprised about Malta.

BTW not to open another thread can you or anyone else explain in simple words what is USD SWIFT Correspondent? Is this a bank or can be a private company ? - Thanks

BTW not to open another thread can you or anyone else explain in simple words what is USD SWIFT Correspondent? Is this a bank or can be a private company ? - Thanks

Ok the best way to describe it as as follows. All banks outside US territory are not able to directly process USD i.e have Fedwire accounts to recieve/send USD. The banks that can recieve/send USD payments have to be on US territory. So foreign banks wanting to send and receive USD have to have a relationship with a bank in the US or Puerto Rico or USVI I think also. This special account at the bank in US is called a "Nostro" account and contains all the USD the bank has. The relationship between the foreign bank and the US bank is called the "correspondence banking" relationship.

So for example if a client at a bank in Malta called XYZ Bank wants to send $100 to a bank called ZVV in UK. It will send a swift message to move $100 from its Nostro acount in US bank to the Nostro account of ZVV in its US bank.

Direct correspondence banking relationship between European banks and US banks can be difficult so small European banks build relationships with bigger European banks like ING and use their correspondence banking relationship in US. So you can end up with a chain or correspondence banks...lol. Now the problem is when a bank in Malta does dodgy payments i.e allow Satabank's capital payment to flow through their accounts and Satabank is later closed for AML issues it does not end well. ING also in unrelated event got fined $900m for AML failures. They are simply ending correspondence relationships with small banks they feel have risk of money laundering. Deutsche Bank did this some years ago and most US banks have also done so.

The problem is that if ING gets problems with either their Correspondence bank again in US they themselves may lose access to dollar processing with their bank in US. It's like lending someone your car and they go and do a drive by shooting and then return it to you. You will get problems as you are an accessory to the crime even though you were not involved - bank don't like this as they end up with fines and problems in US. So ING is ditching BOV but giving them time to find a new relationship by December.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: mmueller and boko
Who’s pushing this hard on AML policies?

I mean, I understand all banks public face has to be strict AML but still doing ML on their backs because it’s still money and it’s a ton of it.

Besides we all know the real rulers of this world are bankers.

So I think I’m not seeing the big picture here.

Malta has a huge online gambling sector, has lost three banks in recent memory due to compliance/AML (Nemea, Pilatus, Sata), and is currently being questioned by the EU about its ability to maintain rule of law. BOV used to be the go-to bank for gambling operators, although this has stopped as of a few years ago when Sata came around and took over. (The industry is in banking crisis mode.)

ING's actions make perfect sense as a part of derisking. In reality, BOV probably poses a rather modest money laundering risk. But it just didn't make commercial sense for ING to keep them on. They will probably find other banks for USD in not too long.

Reactions: Hani Salaam
Who’s pushing this hard on AML policies?

The US government ultimately. When you allow an Iranian to start a bank to avoid US Sanctions against Iran in Malta (Pilatus bank) and you allow Russians mafia to start a bank (Satabank) and you have an Azerbaijan laundromat (Nemea bank) the US will deal with you. The same way they paid Cyprus a visit and Cyprus scrambled to clean up things.

They will probably find other banks for USD in not too long.

They will end up with Euro Pacific Bank who has direct Fedwire clearing now smi(&%. You never wondered why ING was their last USD correspondence bank...lol? You never wondered what happened to the other correspondence banking relationships?

P.S I hope they do find a new USD relationship. Seems odd its taking so long for a major bank in Malta and they have not been able to get a backup bank already..lol. We are not talking bank of Timbuktu after all.

They will end up with Euro Pacific Bank who has direct Fedwire clearing now smi(&%. You never wondered why ING was their last USD correspondence bank...lol? You never wondered what happened to the other correspondence banking relationships?
It's been a painful couple of years working with them. I just don't see BOV being permanently shut out of USD. Perhaps the phrasing "not too long" was poor and indicate some sort of immediacy, though.

Reputable banks don't want to be associated with Malta's reputation. I mean BOV gave USD correspondence banking services to Pilatus bank. Pilatus bank owner Ali Sadr was arrested in US for evading US Sanctions against Iran and US shutdown the bank via its usual phone call to Malta. Deutsche Bank who provided BOV USD correspondence banking hence terminated the relationship naturally. No bank wants to touch BOV for USD since....lol.

I can go deeper but in Malta it is not a compliance issue but a corruption one. They will blow you up like they did that journalist who tried to investigate it all :confused:. The issue is very deep.

Malta has a huge online gambling sector, has lost three banks in recent memory due to compliance/AML (Nemea, Pilatus, Sata), and is currently being questioned by the EU about its ability to maintain rule of law. BOV used to be the go-to bank for gambling operators, although this has stopped as of a few years ago when Sata came around and took over. (The industry is in banking crisis mode.)

It may be more related to smuggling of oil from Libya. The bank did some business there, I think even directly with Gaddafi. Maybe they continued with something similar... or it is simply heritage of that - they did some funny things and now noone wants to touch them.

ING's actions make perfect sense as a part of derisking. In reality, BOV probably poses a rather modest money laundering risk. But it just didn't make commercial sense for ING to keep them on. They will probably find other banks for USD in not too long.

It is just the fault of the online gambling ? Or is someone from ECB saying that time has run out ? that's the real DILEMMA!

Reputable banks don't want to be associated with Malta's reputation. I mean BOV gave USD correspondence banking services to Pilatus bank. Pilatus bank owner Ali Sadr was arrested in US for evading US Sanctions against Iran and US shutdown the bank via its usual phone call to Malta. Deutsche Bank who provided BOV USD correspondence banking hence terminated the relationship naturally. No bank wants to touch BOV for USD since....lol.

So ...why should a bank like Unicredit be the second largest shareholder of BOV ?

"The Directors confirm that as at 31 December 2018, the shareholding in excess of 5% of the issued share capital of the Bank was held directly by: Government of Malta 25.0% and UniCredit S.p.A. 10.2%"

What impact will this have short (1 year) and mid-long (1-3 years) term on Malta's jurisdiction strategy?

No major impact as long as US does not add it to the high risk FATF list. There is space now available that Serbia has been removed..hehehe. They need to urgently stay away from welcoming crypto business to the island.

Will they continue to allow gambling and other high risk profile business for example.

They should have stuck to online gambling and tourism all along. They passed laws to allow growing of medical marijuana. What could possibly go wrong I wonder.

Reactions: deepocean
Trust me just move your money from BOV..sorry my bad BOV has closed USD accounts of clients by force

When the bank sells CRS avoidance products what other problems can they expect down the road ;). In an island of under 500k people with most of them poor you can't make money from doing normal clean banking and pay for all the overheads....lol.

• Haha
This USD frenzy is really tiring me out (not just me, but everyone dealing with USD). I wonder could this lead to world economies replacing USD as the preferred currency of payment? Wish EUR would replace USD. I read yesterday that Russian military industry stopped receiving USD payments for the sale of their products.

Hopefully they will replace it at some point but USD is like heroin you just don't come off quickly its like 88% of global currency transactions or something and over 60% of countries foreign currency reserves. It is not easy for countries to erase the benchmark currency overnight without their own currency falling apart. Dollars (and sometimes gold) is what is used in local currency support intervention measures by governments sadly.

However de-dollarization is real and more and more countries are adopting a stance of removing dollars from critical parts of their economy such as Georgia removed from housing market and its central bank is trying to ensure control over the economy by de-dollarizing in general as policy. The other countries such as Russia, Iran, Turkey, Venezuela and China well....they have good reason to push replacement of USD. However replacing USD with Euro's just moves hegemony from USA to Angela Merkel ns2....oh yes Germany is the Euro.

Latest Threads