Our valued sponsor

Question BVI hold: Bank account or re-domicile & DIY bookkeeping?

Ener

Aug 17, 2021
Malta, EU
Visit site
Hi all,

New EU based member here...
I guess just like you all I received this nice welcome message: "Make your first post, be awesome!"
Well... I always wanted to be awesome, so I guess this finally is my chance... a temptation hard to resist... ;-)

How awesome would I be to even put 3 questions in one single post (that being said, hoping not to make a newbie mistake here and getting banned for life because that for sure would leave a less awesome impression...)
Anyway, I feel all questions are all linked around the same topic and complete the full picture.

So...
I have this BVI holding which I maybe need to re-domicile.
Main reason: the difficulties I have in getting a bank account for the BVI holding (preferably even one that comes with IBAN).

(1) Well, I tried many banks in many countries but always the same blockade: nobody is interested in a BVI holding. At least no one in the EU, maybe except for an expensive Swiss bank. But even the banks in BVI itself -or banks on one of the many islands in that area- were also not that eager and willing. OK, I have some applications started for a bank account over there but reactions so far are slow and I anticipate that there will be a fair chance that one by one they step out.
I even looked at Seychelles, Mauritius etc. But again, very few banks were interested and I don't have much hopes so far that my applications will be accepted.
Also, I checked many digital banks, a long line but no result there either. Revolut, Wise, Payoneer, Paysera, etc, etc.
Question: does anyone here recently -let's say in the last year- got a bank account for a BVI holding company? If so, where? As mentioned before, in my case preferably with an IBAN because most transaction are EU related anyway.

(2) Because of the frustration above -and if it won't work out in getting a bank account- I feel like re-domiciling my BVI holding to end this type of problems once and for all in a structural way, and maybe even doing so anyway even if I get a backaccount just for future peace of mind. Preferably therefore to a location where A) banks don't have a problem with, B) the overall costs of doing that transfer stay doable (meaning not going for the most expensive solution, but rather a mix of value for money and therefore being cost-effective & efficient), C) local (corporate) directorship can be arranged, preferably at low costs.
Question: any advise here? Did anyone actually did this for a BVI holding and how did that turn out? I heard Gibraltar would be a good option for this. I appreciate any feedback here.

(3) And then there is that tiny little technicality that comes out at night... the bookkeeping.
Went I got my BVI a long time ago I was delighted at first by the fact that no accountancy interference was needed; just me and my Excel file was enough according to BVI rules. So yes, according to those rules I personally -as shareholder- have ongoing a crystal clear insight of the financial position of the BVI company. However, once the de-domiciling takes place the new country probably will have new rules which might include annual figures done by an accountant.
Question: how to solve that puzzle? Day one for the BVI company is more than 20 years ago and not all data is kept or complete from that moment onward. I doubt if an accountant will accept the -absolutely perfect- end result of my Excel file as starting point for his balance sheet. Anyone having experience here in this matter or ideas how to approach this tiny detail?

Reactions: uplana
One way of obtaining a bank account for a BVI company in the EU is applying for an investment account. I.e. No business activity as such but you do get that IBAN.
Naturally anything like this is going to cost more than any EU based company to maintain but still possible.
As for doing the accounting for the BVI company which has been required since about 2013 you could use any accounting system for this. Keep it simple. TurboCash5 works for me.

Hi all,

New EU based member here...
I guess just like you all I received this nice welcome message: "Make your first post, be awesome!"
Well... I always wanted to be awesome, so I guess this finally is my chance... a temptation hard to resist... ;-)

How awesome would I be to even put 3 questions in one single post (that being said, hoping not to make a newbie mistake here and getting banned for life because that for sure would leave a less awesome impression...)
Anyway, I feel all questions are all linked around the same topic and complete the full picture.

So...
I have this BVI holding which I maybe need to re-domicile.
Main reason: the difficulties I have in getting a bank account for the BVI holding (preferably even one that comes with IBAN).

(1) Well, I tried many banks in many countries but always the same blockade: nobody is interested in a BVI holding. At least no one in the EU, maybe except for an expensive Swiss bank. But even the banks in BVI itself -or banks on one of the many islands in that area- were also not that eager and willing. OK, I have some applications started for a bank account over there but reactions so far are slow and I anticipate that there will be a fair chance that one by one they step out.
I even looked at Seychelles, Mauritius etc. But again, very few banks were interested and I don't have much hopes so far that my applications will be accepted.
Also, I checked many digital banks, a long line but no result there either. Revolut, Wise, Payoneer, Paysera, etc, etc.
Question: does anyone here recently -let's say in the last year- got a bank account for a BVI holding company? If so, where? As mentioned before, in my case preferably with an IBAN because most transaction are EU related anyway.

(2) Because of the frustration above -and if it won't work out in getting a bank account- I feel like re-domiciling my BVI holding to end this type of problems once and for all in a structural way, and maybe even doing so anyway even if I get a backaccount just for future peace of mind. Preferably therefore to a location where A) banks don't have a problem with, B) the overall costs of doing that transfer stay doable (meaning not going for the most expensive solution, but rather a mix of value for money and therefore being cost-effective & efficient), C) local (corporate) directorship can be arranged, preferably at low costs.
Question: any advise here? Did anyone actually did this for a BVI holding and how did that turn out? I heard Gibraltar would be a good option for this. I appreciate any feedback here.

(3) And then there is that tiny little technicality that comes out at night... the bookkeeping.
Went I got my BVI a long time ago I was delighted at first by the fact that no accountancy interference was needed; just me and my Excel file was enough according to BVI rules. So yes, according to those rules I personally -as shareholder- have ongoing a crystal clear insight of the financial position of the BVI company. However, once the de-domiciling takes place the new country probably will have new rules which might include annual figures done by an accountant.
Question: how to solve that puzzle? Day one for the BVI company is more than 20 years ago and not all data is kept or complete from that moment onward. I doubt if an accountant will accept the -absolutely perfect- end result of my Excel file as starting point for his balance sheet. Anyone having experience here in this matter or ideas how to approach this tiny detail?
Hi Ener

Welcome to the forum!

Please see my responses in your questions below:

(1) For a Company registered in zero tax jurisdiction it will be almost impossible to find a bank that would nowadays accept to open an account, with the exception of a few financial institutions mainly in BVI and a bunch of EMIs. From personal experience of a recent case, I have witnessed an active EU bank account for a Seychelles Company but for this account to be maintained the bank was performing yearly due diligence requesting audited financial statements and other corporate documents. However, the Seychelles Company was a client of the Bank since 2015. It all comes up to the risk profile of the Company either by means of its activities and/or residency of the owner of the Company. If the Company is categorised as high risk by the compliance team of the bank then it would be very hard to achieve opening an account.

(2) Yes, redomiciliation is a good choice as a last resort and you shall choose a jurisdiction which its Domestic law allows this. I would urge you to consider Cyprus (an EU country) as it confers significant benefits to foreign investors especially if they choose to relocate themselves as well and obtain the 'non-domiciled' status.

However, please note of the following restrictions:

(a) A company must be in good standing.
(b) A company must not be struck off the register of the previous country before the Registrar issues a Temporary Certificate of Continuation. Otherwise, the Registrar has a full right to cancel the application of the company for its transfer.
(c) A company cannot be in liquidation.
(d) A company cannot be redomiciled if any insolvency or execution proceedings have been initiated against it and/or any legal proceedings have been commenced against it.

(3) Yes, however I can only advise on Cyprus prespective. Ultimately accounting records will need to be prepared as there is statutory requirement to file audited financial statements a. I would recommend once a decision is made to transfer the seat of the company, to prepare management accounts and company books up to the date of redomiciliation. The management accounts and accounting records made up to the date of change of the company’s jurisdiction will show the incoming balances, which will reduce future accounting and audit costs.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjrapy

Latest Threads