Our valued sponsor

Chinese central bank orders lenders to cut cryptos’ financial lifelines

Martin Everson

Offshore Retiree
Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
More FUD.

--- start quote

The People’s Bank of China has told the country’s big banks and other finance sector heavyweights to cut off financing sources for cryptocurrency transactions, it announced this afternoon.

Fast facts:

• The PBoC issued its instruction at a meeting attended by representatives of Industrial & Commercial Bank of China, Agricultural Bank of China, China Construction Bank, Postal Savings Bank of China, Industrial Bank, digital payment giant Alipay and other banking and payment institutions.

• In an announcement, the PBoC accused cryptocurrencies of disrupting the normal order of financial activity and providing a breeding ground for illegal cross-border transactions. It urged financial institutions to prohibit “crypto-related activities” from accessing their services and told them to “thoroughly inspect and monitor” existing clients’ transactions for potential involvement in crypto.

• Three hours before the PBoC’s announcement, Agricultural Bank of China, the country’s third-largest lender by assets, issued a similar statement before withdrawing it less than two hours later.

• In its statement, Agricultural Bank of China said that once a crypto-related transaction was discovered, it would immediately shut down the accounts involved, terminate its relationships with the customers involved, and report the involved parties to “relevant departments.”

• The PBoC’s move is the latest in a series of broadsides against China’s crypto industry, which initially enjoyed explosive growth but which has come under regulatory attack by various authorities and industry bodies for the past eight years. All sides of the industry have increasingly drawn fire in recent months, from banks being told to distance themselves from crypto to miners of cryptocurrencies being ordered to shut down in Sichuan Province and other parts of the country.

--- end quote

Reactions: JohnLocke
They are working out how to regulate it and also buy up certain coins cheaply.
With other countries albeit smaller or less developed nations seriously looking at Crypto, its just another ploy by the CCP.
The worlds biggest miners are Chinese and the worlds biggest exchange is Chinese.
I don't see this lasting long!!

Reactions: JackAlabama
I guess the "More FUD" part was cynical?

Overall it's not surprising that the Chinese will not like tech that allows bypassing of currency controls...
While I cant speak for others if "more fud" was cynical or not, crying wolf over and over comes to my mind.

Read the articles before looking at the date to have maximum effect ;)

I guess the "More FUD" part was cynical?

Yup thu&¤#

Overall it's not surprising that the Chinese will not like tech that allows bypassing of currency controls...

Exactly what I have been saying for years on here. The main activity of crypto in China is to circumvent capital controls as it is in Nigeria etc. It's nothing more than buy Crypto in China in local currency and sell crypto outside China for foreign currency......hey presto no capital controls and banks circumvented. What government will accept this destabilizing activity in their financial system certainly not PBOC or CBN.

P.S Interesting coordination between a lot of central banks all announcing they are investigating CBDC's ca#"!. I sense a hidden hand as this does not happen by accident.

Yup thu&¤#

Exactly what I have been saying for years on here. The main activity of crypto in China is to circumvent capital controls as it is in Nigeria etc. It's nothing more than buy Crypto in China in local currency and sell crypto outside China for foreign currency......hey presto no capital controls and banks circumvented. What government will accept this destabilizing activity in their financial system certainly not PBOC or CBN.

P.S Interesting coordination between a lot of central banks all announcing they are investigating CBDC's ca#"!. I sense a hidden hand as this does not happen by accident.
Spot on. Some central banks are quite advanced with the cbds and it is not just china which is ready for a test balloon, there are rumors some western central banks are ready as well.

The Chinese do not seem to like the expiry date however.

Life in China is anyway quite peculiar so what is actually allowed or not is a question per se.

Rinse and repeat market manipulation. More than 50% drop since recent highs! Once all leveraged investors are screwed it will go up
agree very much, wait for it and it will rain with gold.

How about the exchanges like Binance and similar chinese crypto exchanges, how can they operate their business right now, will we see them go bankrupt?

How about the exchanges like Binance and similar chinese crypto exchanges, how can they operate their business right now, will we see them go bankrupt?

Doubt it. I mean they already banned searches for Binance last month I believe.

The real crypto crash will happen when Tether is exposed as fake. That will be a hilarious day
Spot on I believe! Tether would make Madoff proud.. who the hell believes Tether has over $60B and no one knows who they are on wall street or who they have made these "commercial paper" trades through yet with $60B their one of the worlds biggest holders of "commercial paper". They have 13 employees even less than Madoff had haha. It's gonna be national news when this thing implodes.

Spot on I believe! Tether would make Madoff proud.. who the hell believes Tether has over $60B and no one knows who they are on wall street or who they have made these "commercial paper" trades through yet with $60B their one of the worlds biggest holders of "commercial paper". They have 13 employees even less than Madoff had haha. It's gonna be national news when this thing implodes.
100%

This video explains it in a really hilarious way

Reactions: JohnLocke and Vor
100%

This video explains it in a really hilarious way

Watched this when it came out haha great video, I'm unsure how people think stablecoins are gonna be able to exist in general considering the fact it is essentially shadow banking. The EU/US has put all this pressure on traditional tax havens for what? Just so stablecoins can come along and allow people a way to store money with no KYC/AML and no FATCA/CRS information sharing not sure how any of this lasts from a regulatory standpoint irrespective of if Tether is a massive fraud, which it most likely is. rof/%

Binance is in Seychelles.
Are they operated from the Seychelles with local owners or do they have Chinese owners, from all the reading about them I was convince that they were China base too?

Are they operated from the Seychelles with local owners or do they have Chinese owners, from all the reading about them I was convince that they were China base too?
Binance is very opaque. Maybe not even themselves know who the real owners are.
Cz said wherever his laptop is is the headquarter ;)
I assume they mostly operate a distributed Chinese team. Similar applies for Kucoin.

Binance is in Seychelles.

Is that where they are headquartered as of today? I mean I don't use them but something sounds off about that company.

Is that where they are headquartered as of today? I mean I don't use them but something sounds off about that company.
According to rumors yes, but they foremost are like the internet, everywhere and nowhere ;).
I once had talks with some people from Taiwan years ago where they had operations.
Then they had stuff in Malta.
I also do not use them for anything besides insignificant activities, so don't bother much.

Reactions: Martin Everson
Watched this when it came out haha great video, I'm unsure how people think stablecoins are gonna be able to exist in general considering the fact it is essentially shadow banking. The EU/US has put all this pressure on traditional tax havens for what? Just so stablecoins can come along and allow people a way to store money with no KYC/AML and no FATCA/ CRS information sharing not sure how any of this lasts from a regulatory standpoint irrespective of if Tether is a massive fraud, which it most likely is.

Couldn't agree more.

Interesting analysis of Tether below:

Interesting analysis of Tether below:

The Tether Ponzi Scheme

This all makes sense now when he writes the below:

----- start quote

Tether has lost the privilege of the benefit of doubt a long time ago. Here is how tether’s Ponzi scheme likely works:

• All their commercial debt is to the related exchanges (Binance, FTX, Bitfinex – see below) or their affiliated shell companies.
  • Tether make new USDT out of thin air and send them against a dollar-denominated loan to these affiliates
  • The affiliates use the new USDT to put market buy-orders for crypto, putting them on the new USDT on market
  • Crypto goes up in value becaue of the new demand pressure. This overcollateralizes the affiliated loans, justifying more loans.
  • Rinse, repeat.

----- end quote

If this is happening then these exchanges are borrowing to manipulate the price of any crypto they choose in their favor :oops:. What an elegant fraud.