Our valued sponsor

Conditions of domicile in another country

glengoolie

BANNED MEMBER
Mar 30, 2021
EU
Visit site
If you move to another country through some type of long stay visa and you are not citizen, how do you prove to tax authorities that it is now your domicile and you don't need to stay there half a year to be a tax resident by default?

If you move to another country through some type of long stay visa and you are not citizen, how do you prove to tax authorities that it is now your domicile and you don't need to stay there half a year to be a tax resident by default?
Renting/purchasing property and utility bills are the usual evidence required, at least by Cyprus authorities.

so the "center of life" proof, right?
i imagine if you own properties in different countries, for the purpose of residence, it would be advised to pick one and spend majority of time during the fiscal year in there, right?
Yes. My experience with the Cyprus tax authorities is that it is extremely rare for them to challenge the tax residency. However, it’s advisable to take all possible precautions to be on the safe side.

Reactions: glengoolie
i think in the case i described you have to become tax resident in one country during the first year(ie. spend the 183 days) and from there on you just have to ensure you will not become tax resident elsewhere(183 days) and that should be it. which one also has to make sure to not work in other countries and be subject of paying taxes for income earned there during the year.

Latest Threads