Our valued sponsor

Costa Rica & EU country

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice, as I'm not sure what the smart thing here is. I have some money in a bank in Costa Rica, and now I live & work in a EU country. I'm planning to buy a car here and I want to bring some of that money. Would that money be subject to taxes in the EU if I use something like transferwise(wise) to send it to a local EU bank account? It's roughly $15000 USD.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

If 15,000 USD is significantly more than you usually transact, the bank will ask questions about the source of funds. As long as you can explain that, you shouldn't have any problem.

As long as the funds are not an untaxed/undeclared income earned while living in the EU, there would normally be no taxes applicable. You're just moving money you've already earned and previously declared and paid taxes on (if any) where you resided when they were earned.

Reactions: armdom64
.... or you just moving money for which you've already sat in jail, for tax evetion or some criminal stuff. And you no longer are obliged to sit there a 2nd time. Why would you? Not necessary. Therefore, no problem should be held for moving the money.