Our valued sponsor

Crypto-friendly bank in Spain to facilitate tax payment?

tdk

Oct 16, 2021
Spain
Visit site
(New member. Please let me know if I should post this in some other section of the forum. I have checked other people's posts but could not find a solution to my problem)

Hi.
Spanish citizen here.

THE PROBLEM
Years ago, living in the UK, I bought BTC on a personal meeting through LocalBitcoins.com
My main bank account is with Sabadell bank.
In the last year for the first time I cashed out some and started trading, so a tax declaration was due.
My tax assitant made a declaration for Hacienda (Spanish tax office) for me.
Since Hacienda does not accept payment in BTC, I got the considerable money to pay for the upcoming tax bill (low six figures) by defrosting some of the coins and sending them to the exchange, in exchange for euro.
Then I sent the euro from the exchange to my Sabadell bank account.

THE OBSTACLE ON THE ROAD
My bank immediately froze the transfer while asking for clarification on procedence of the funds. I sent them two long emails with screenshots attached and all the information I have on this.
(I have also talked with a couple of Madrid lawyers and they told me that having bought the coins in 2014, I did not have to explain much more about them to the tax office anyway (I think there's a cut-off date 2 or 3 years back for them to ask you about this kind of info))

Despite the two emails my bank simply rejected returned the transfer to the exhange, so I am back to square one, and I'll have a 1% penalty every month if I continue not paying.
I have also made very clear to my bank that the reason to send that money to my account is to pay taxes, so that's not the problem.
In any case, based on their questions, some of them irrelevant or misinformed, I also have the feeling that the bank simply doesn't know enough about it all, so I think it's pointless to try again.

So...right now a large tax bill and a first penalty is already due, and I want to pay but my bank won't let me, since they don't accept the funds. They have already returned the money to the exchange.

MY QUESTIONS
Do you know any BTC friendly bank in Spain that will facilitate the payment of my taxes?
What would you do in my case?
Any other creative or legal solution to the problem you can think of?

I am right now out of Spain so if the process can be conducted from abroad, even better.
Thank you

Moved thread to the correct section and zapped your duplicate post thu&¤#

Can you not pay taxes directly from an account outside Spain? You can find crypo friendly EMI's if you search the forum.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Thank you, Martin. I have no idea if they allow this because I know that Spanish banks have a special section on their website, so they give you a reference number when you pay, and that's what you give to your tax advisor. Not sure what would be the guarantee that the money goes to the right place with banks outside of Spain, or if the Spanish tax office accepts this method.
Still researching. I'll do what you say about EMIs

See below. Thats for companies but interesting that such strange rules existed.

Thank you guys.
@Horseshoe , that's not a bad idea but if they don't accept a simple, clean transference of the funds into my account because they have doubts about their origins, would they give me a loan with it as collateral? I don't own anything else to use as collateral.
Keep the ideas coming! Appreciated.
@Martin Everson you'd be surprised how backwards they still are there...and how aggressive the tax office is

@tdk I would complain to ECB if Spain makes you pay taxes from a Spanish bank account. IBAN discrimination is against EU Law. Spain cannot discriminate against foreign EU IBAN's for any payment which would be a violation of Article 9(2) of the SEPA Regulation (Regulation (EU) No 260/2012).

You have a very clear open and shut case for suing the the Spanish government if they do not accept payment of taxes from another EU bank account in your name. So just send money from another EMI account in your name with the tax payment reference code they gave you.

Just from March THIS YEAR they have started accepting payments from accounts abroad
Unfortunately it seems that you can only use this method if you don´t currently have an account open with a "collaborating entity", and I have a bank account in Spain, with one such entity. The problem is that said damn entity is rejecting my transfer to pay taxes. It´s a vicious circle, it seems. In the meantime the clock is ticking and penalties accummulating.
As far as I can see, they still don´t accept direct payment on BTC.
Anyone has a Spanish crypto-lawyer handy?

Thanks guys. Adding those banks to my list of numbers to contact and ask.
Any specific EMIs you would recommend? If I am not familiar with them, so how do I know they're not a scam and the money will never return or be directed where I need it to?

Latest Threads