Our valued sponsor

Display other company name on website than on Stripe account?

Dandyline

Pro Member
Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
If i have a e-commerce store which are using Stripe for payments, is it possible to display a different company name on the e-commerce website (For the customer to see / contact info) than the company that are registered on the Stripe account? Or will it be any issues with Stripe?

Its all legitimate but i prefer to display one of my other company names on the website other than the company name Registered on Stripe.

You want to do it for cloaking or purely because you don't like the name registered with Stripe?

Reach out to Stripe support and ask for their approval.

If your case isn't that straight-forward, give me a little more info to chew on.

You want to do it for cloaking or purely because you don't like the name registered with Stripe?

Reach out to Stripe support and ask for their approval.

If your case isn't that straight-forward, give me a little more info to chew on.

I want to do it because the Company registered with Stripe is based in a country that openly displays everything about the company including the board. On the actual website, I want to display the Company details of another company based in a country with more anonymity. So its more of a privacy reason.

Your account will be shut down by Stripe. It is against the rules/regs of the card schemes to display anything where the information (descriptor) on the customers credit card receipt/statement differs from the registered information with Stripe. Clone sites are used in high risk business types but that too is a grey area and another conversation. LOL...But, back to your situation, no you cannot do it without causing yourself a headache with Stripe.

Your account will be shut down by Stripe. It is against the rules/regs of the card schemes to display anything where the information (descriptor) on the customers credit card receipt/statement differs from the registered information with Stripe. Clone sites are used in high risk business types but that too is a grey area and another conversation. LOL...But, back to your situation, no you cannot do it without causing yourself a headache with Stripe.

Descriptor doesnt differ from info with Stripe. Thats not what im talking about.

I mean to write a company name in the About us / contact us section on the website that differs from the company registered with Stripe.

As long as the company registered with Stripe is the same as in your terms and conditions section of your website you will be fine as you can tell Stripe the other name is your dba (doing business as) name. Stripe will audit your website using AI technology and the frequency will depend on what you are selling..fyi..

I want the company in terms to differ as well. I dont want to have the Stripe company anywhere on the site.

What you're describing is not allowed under card scheme rules and if/when Stripe finds out, they will stop processing and freeze your funds until you change, or they will just close your account forever.

If the incident is severe enough (in particular if it involves gambling, adult, crypto, CBD, or other high-risk), you also run the risk having your name end up on Visa and Mastercard blacklists.

You can't do that, and asking for Stripe´s approval is waste of time.

You can incorporate in for example Latvia, where information about company shareholders and directors is not that easily obtainable?

You could also incorporate in Bulgaria, where your name will be written in Cyrillic letters.

Both is enough to hide your personal identity from the average consumer.

This will however might create a new headache for you in regards to place of effective management.

Thank you for all the answers. Yes, i can of course create a new Stripe account with a Cyprus company to obtain the privacy i need. My current accs has a long history with thousands of transactions, thats why i wanted to check if it was possible to just display another company name on the website). I can also just edit the company information for my current accs.

I will see how i do.

Descriptor doesnt differ from info with Stripe. Thats not what im talking about.

I mean to write a company name in the About us / contact us section on the website that differs from the company registered with Stripe.

Minor difference does work but requires an approval and consistency with the rules of a particular payment processor. Multinationals of a group aggregate payments all the time.

"123 Pacific Surf Ltd." vs. "123 Pacific Surf NA LLC" is a viable attempt.

Use that to your advantage.

What you're describing is not allowed under card scheme rules and if/when Stripe finds out, they will stop processing and freeze your funds until you change, or they will just close your account forever.

If the incident is severe enough (in particular if it involves gambling, adult, crypto, CBD, or other high-risk), you also run the risk having your name end up on Visa and Mastercard blacklists.

Yes, my question was just if it was ok to write different company information in the websites Terms and conditions. The actual website is normal and well approved by Stripe for years.

Just out of curiosity, if some one gets blacklisted by Visa/Mastercard i assume they blacklist a certain company and not the person behind the company?

Minor difference does work but requires an approval and consistency with the rules of a particular payment processor. Multinationals of a group aggregate payments all the time.

"123 Pacific Surf Ltd." vs. "123 Pacific Surf NA LLC" is a viable attempt.

Use that to your advantage.

Yes, you mean that i should write for example Stripe and ask them if its ok. I also want to display another corporate identity number.

On Stripe: Company Ltd., XXX XXX XXX, Address

On website:

This website is owned by:

Company LLC, XXX XXX XXX, Address

Yes, you can go in that direction using that exact example. Since you have a history with them, if they are asking why the change (which they will) it is due to your companies expansion into the global marketplace. Don't forget, as I mentioned earlier, you can simply list the above example only in your terms and conditions section of your website. That will meet all compliance needs from the card schemes.

Just out of curiosity, if some one gets blacklisted by Visa/Mastercard i assume they blacklist a certain company and not the person behind the company?
It's all of it. UBO, shareholders, and directors of the involved companies. That's a worst-case scenario, though. But I have seen it play out a few times.

Yes, you mean that i should write for example Stripe and ask them if its ok. I also want to display another corporate identity number.

On Stripe: Company Ltd., XXX XXX XXX, Address

On website:

This website is owned by:

Company LLC, XXX XXX XXX, Address
That won't fly. Buyers must be shown the company name with which they are entering into a contract for the purchase of goods and services. If a separate company is handling the payments, that needs to be shown as well.

You would need to show both Company Ltd and Company LLC. That's quite common.

Blacklisting is called being placed on the TMF (Terminated Merchant File). This is done by the acquiring/processing entity. Sols is correct that all information regarding the company and said shareholders (owners) info is flagged. It is a difficult task to get removed off of the TMF but it is possible..just another fyi. Once again, as long as the company who is entered into the agreement with the customer and payment processor is in the terms and conditions you will be good to go.