Our valued sponsor

Do I need to physically stay in the UAE for 6 months to get the Tax Residency Certificate?

babaorum

May 15, 2019
Visit site
In order to maintain residency once one has a visa, they have to visit the UAE at least once every 180 days.

However, the conditions to maintain tax residency are unclear. The Ministry of Finance website lists the following:
Conditions & Required Documents:

For individuals:

To apply for a tax domicile certificate individuals must have been a resident in the UAE for at least 180 days. The certificate is not granted to non-residents.

The following documents must be attached:

• A copy of the passport + valid permit of residence
  • A copy of ID card
  • A certified copy of (residential) lease agreement
  • Validated 6-month bank statement from a local bank
  • Source of income/Salary certificate
  • A report from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs specifying the number of days the resident has stayed in the UAE
  • Tax forms (if any) from the country in which the certificate is to be submitted
It is unclear whether one has to spend any time in the UAE - apart from the visit every 180 days - in order to qualify.
I called the Federal Tax Authority and they said the customer representative said that in the guidelines visible to him, he sees a condition of physical presence in the UAE for 183 days per year - which is surprising, because such information should be published somewhere! I couldn't find it on any government website.

However, several incorporation/immigration websites say that there is no physical residence requirement. I called one of them and he said that in his 25 years of experience, he saw that in practice, if one visits the UAE 3-4 a year and stays a week each time, the tax residency certificate will be issued.

I was wondering if anyone spent less than 183 days in the UAE, yet was able to obtain said certificate.

Reactions: troubled soul
Of course, you need to stay at least 180 days and you need to provide evidence about it.

Conditions & Required Documents:
For individuals:

To apply for a tax domicile certificate individuals must have been a resident in the UAE for at least 180 days. The certificate is not granted to non-residents.

The following documents must be attached:
A copy of the passport + valid permit of residence
A copy of ID card
A certified copy of (residential) lease agreement
Validated 6-month bank statement from a local bank
Source of income/Salary certificate
A report from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs specifying the number of days the resident has stayed in the UAE
Tax forms (if any) from the country in which the certificate is to be submitted

My understanding is that being "resident" just means having a valid residency card. The language used support that interpretation - because it says being resident for at least 180 days which implies that once residence starts, it is not discontinued. Otherwise, it would have been 180 days per calendar year or something of the sort. Here's how the UAE defines "resident" with the OCDE:
"Resident Person" in the United Arab Emirates means: A. AnIndividual:
  1. a) Any United Arab Emirates National
  2. b) An individual who is a resident in United Arab Emirates with:
    1. a valid Emirates ID and
    2. a valid Residency Visa.

The last thing suggests that they might take into account the number of days spent, however, there doesn't seem to be a hard requirement.

Reactions: 4br
Residency and Tax Residency are different things. You can keep your residency as long as you visit the country every 180 days(2 times a year) but the tax residency is something different. You need to stay in UAE for least half of the year.

In reality - you don't. I have many examples.

6 months after getting your ID card you can apply for your tax certificate regardless of whether you are in the UAE or not.
Ideally make the application in country but it's tried and tested from my end.

Reactions: troubled soul