Our valued sponsor

Does a utility bill address need to match the passport address?

Scratch

Oct 4, 2022
EU
Visit site
I'm in the middle of opening a bank account in a different country, and was wondering whether the address on an utility bill needs to match the address on my passport or id card?

Currently, they are slightly different (same street, different house) so not sure if that can be a cause of rejection?

I'm in the middle of opening a bank account in a different country, and was wondering whether the address on an utility bill needs to match the address on my passport or id card?

Currently, they are slightly different (same street, different house) so not sure if that can be a cause of rejection?
It should not, but you can always stumble upon a bank monkey who rejects your application because of that. Photoshop (or freeware GIMP) solves the problem.

There is generally no expectation for identity document holders to renew their identity document every time they move.

It can be a good thing if they do (at least country), but as long as the it's obvious that for example you got your passport three years ago and you moved one year ago, it shouldn't be a problem.
Just a tiny correction, @Sols: There are countries where it is obligatory to keep the address on the ID card/passport (i.e. the address for official use by the government) up-to-date (at least formally, the enforcement may vary). I am personally aware about some “former East Block” countries where this is valid. Consequently, I am 99% sure that if you present different addresses on an ID and on an utility bill to some Polish, Czech or Slovak bank, it will result either in the rejection or (at least) in a complicated (and absolutely unnecessary) dispute. @tes100 lives in Bosnia, IIRC; I have no clue how it is there, furthermore, we do not know where the bank is located; so I do not feel competent to judge for this particular case. Nevertheless, generally I would either go for @JohnnyDoe's solution ;) or update the address on my ID...