Our valued sponsor

estonian e-residency help

coins4939

Sep 17, 2020
Visit site
I am a UK national and was thinking about incorporating my business in Estonia using their e-residency service, would I have to pay tax in both countries or just one? and would it be an better option to operate my consulting business in Estonia as opposed to the UK, my clients are mainly from Europe and a few from the UK?

I am a UK national and was thinking about incorporating my business in Estonia using their e-residency service, would I have to pay tax in both countries or just one?

Just one: the UK. It wouldn’t make any difference for your taxes, but it would probably make the filing/accounting a bit more complex.
That’s not specific for Estonia, it would be the same with any other country which the UK has signed a tax treaty with. In the absence of a tax treaty, you might have to pay taxes to both countries. You can’t avoid the UK taxes by incorporating in another country, unless you spend a ton of money on local staff and can prove that no work is done in the UK.

and would it be an better option to operate my consulting business in Estonia as opposed to the UK, my clients are mainly from Europe and a few from the UK?

If it’s easier for your clients to deal with an EU company, so you can make more money, or if you want to prepare for then it may be worth the additional hassle. Otherwise probably not.
Banking and access to payment processors like PayPal or Stripe is also typically more difficult when you’re not a resident in the country where your company is incorporated.