Our valued sponsor

Fireproof Hardware wallet or box to put into a safe?

erni

Mentor Group Lifetime
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I have been searching, googling and going crazy because I want to find a BOX or a Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet that is fire safe, which I then can put into a "normal" fire protected safe.

An expert told me that a data media will be destroyed if they get a heat higher than 55 degrees Celsius.

The safe can only hold it down to 188 degree celsius for 2 hours.

Any idea what to do? I need some online store that will ship in Europe or to Europe at least.

sorry for not directly answering your question but what's wrong with multiple (normal) hardware wallets (or paper backups) distributed to different places?
it will be probably much cheaper and solves few additional problems as a side effect...

normal hardware wallets won't be residence against the heat if a fire breaks out in the office.

paper backups would be good but I don't understand how it works. It means you will have to type in a wallet number somewhere or is it each transaction you will have to write down? and how would that work with a Ledger Nano S for instant?

I know a additional fireproof box that you can put into the safe would work and they costs about 100 euro or 200 if you want a good one, but I rather want a small box where you can have only 2 - 4 usb sticks (Ledger Nano S) so it don't take much space.

Or am I totally wrong here?

normal hardware wallets won't be residence against the heat if a fire breaks out in the office.
that's why I'm saying "multiple" and "different places"...

paper backups would be good but I don't understand how it works. It means you will have to type in a wallet number somewhere or is it each transaction you will have to write down? and how would that work with a Ledger Nano S for instant?
hmm, in that case you should probably get a bit more familiar with the concepts and then start caring about the fringe situations

Reactions: JohnLocke and erni
when you setup a hw wallet you have to backup 12 or 24 words, thats what you need to put in your fireproof box. with those words you can get access to your crypto from any other wallet.
any type of wallet will have those 12 or 24 words to backup in order to recover it if you somehow lose access to it.
never put a large amount on a wallet that doesn't have the seeds backed up safely somewhere, way too risky !
a hardware wallet is good against hacking but can be lost and damaged so don't just rely on that.

there are several solution to write those recovery words on metal that will resist high heat. like Cryptosteel - The Mother of All Backups

Reactions: JohnLocke
I believe what you are looking for is just landed in my inbox

As explained above by the other guys, you only need to backup your recovery words, if the device get damaged by fire or in any other way the words is what you need.

What you need is to select one of these with good rating for temperature/crash protection.
With them you even don't need safe box, because plate itself protected better.
Just don't select items which are bad against crush tests: cryptosteel capsule or billfold just not so good as good steel plate with punched words.
Coldbit, cryptokeys, etc is a good choice.
Userfriendly wallet for these seeds could be any popular wallet: trezor, ledger, even software. In case of crash because of crush or fire, you just recover keys from seed.

I believe what you are looking for is just landed in my inbox

As explained above by the other guys, you only need to backup your recovery words, if the device get damaged by fire or in any other way the words is what you need.
Personally i would recommend avoid seed backup with device like cryptosteel capsule or cryptosteel casette.
First of all, locking mechanism in it not so good, and during reading seed, you could permanently corrupt your seed by losing lock and dropping characters.

Second one, this backup are not perfect from shock proof. In some cases you could lost seed ordering, even steel part itself remain readable.

Simple steel plate is much better here, and most shock durable from modern/technological backup devices.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Any examples of what you mention there @John Spectre ? I would like to learn more about :)

What you need is to select one of these with good rating for temperature/crash protection.
With them you even don't need safe box, because plate itself protected better.
Just don't select items which are bad against crush tests: cryptosteel capsule or billfold just not so good as good steel plate with punched words.
Coldbit, cryptokeys, etc is a good choice.
Userfriendly wallet for these seeds could be any popular wallet: trezor, ledger, even software. In case of crash because of crush or fire, you just recover keys from seed.
why turn security aspect of digital asset to physical item that sustain damage ? it's like writing on wall your recovery seed to eliminate a side problem .

someone need to understand the risks associated with this method unless they are sold to soldiers staying in army base.

when it's takes a sticky note or cloud service to store them .

You are confused, the hardware wallet is not what you need to protect. It's the recovery seed.

You could have a Trezor hardware wallet that gets lost at the bottom of the sea, but as long as you have the recovery seed, you can buy a new Trezor wallet and recover it.

Reactions: Shavethewhale
why turn security aspect of digital asset to physical item that sustain damage ? it's like writing on wall your recovery seed to eliminate a side problem .

someone need to understand the risks associated with this method unless they are sold to soldiers staying in army base.

when it's takes a sticky note or cloud service to store them .
As we talk on crypto, I think "not your keys not your coins" is best description for it.
There is no cloud service in the world where I personally will allow to store my keys for years.

1. Cloud service could fall, no matter how good is it: from amazon or other provider. And nobody will recover your data.
If you need protection against fall of cloud service - you need do backups or duplicate storages, that reduce level of protection itself.

2. Cloud service could be hacked to access to your data. Or your credentials could be hacked more easily from any place in the world in any time.

Physical item that is fire/water/shock proof could protect access to the recovery seed much better, if you could select reliable place. And it will there for a years, without any problems.
True offline, cold storage :)

As we talk on crypto, I think "not your keys not your coins" is best description for it.
There is no cloud service in the world where I personally will allow to store my keys for years.

1. Cloud service could fall, no matter how good is it: from amazon or other provider. And nobody will recover your data.
If you need protection against fall of cloud service - you need do backups or duplicate storages, that reduce level of protection itself.

2. Cloud service could be hacked to access to your data. Or your credentials could be hacked more easily from any place in the world in any time.

Physical item that is fire/water/shock proof could protect access to the recovery seed much better, if you could select reliable place. And it will there for a years, without any problems.
True offline, cold storage :)
blockchain and bitcoin rely on internet . if internet fail the coins will not move globally .

i'm not cloud service advocate or against it . i see storing and backup your keys on different places is the best approach.

nevertheless you should not expose keys in way that anybody else can understand their purpose .

Latest Threads