Our valued sponsor

How, when and IF changing tax residency - moving formally from Norway to Thailand

Dasboot

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Without going into all the gory details, I'd be happy to get some advice on how to deal with this...

1. I've been registered as living in Norway "forever", but in reality moved to Thailand a couple of years ago. I will NOT own anything in my own name back in my old country (seen too much), and has a lot of papers documenting that I cannot work properly when living in a colder climate ++

In short: I think its very unlikely that I will suddenly be hit with a HUGE tax bill or something, and based on experience worst case I might have to push it home to them that I'm really a tiny fish.

2. I started paying taxes with a work permit here in Thailand this winter. If I report a move, should I also report those taxes to as well as sending them a copy of my work permit? (There is an option for this when changing address)

3. The past years I've had a net loss in my sole proprietorship in Norway, this has just passed through with no problem as I've had some other salary + payouts. I suspect that the rules for these companies now that include almost no reporting if under 50.000 NOK turnover each year is a kind of "pressure valve" in the system as there used to be a lot of enraged hobbyists and small time businesses, but now these in actually get some decent, simplified treatment.

4. Should I try to get my tax filings done FIRST, then file for a move? Will filing for a move trigger any checks, routines or other red flags in itself?

I totally understand that there might not be a lot of people who has specific knowledge about Norway, what I'm interested in is more "pattern-based" experience on how these bureaucrats THINK (If that is what they actually do)

Any advice, questions or warnings are welcome :)

I’m not an expert on Norwegian taxes, but I’d formally move as fast as possible. If possible, I would even date back the move. There is a rule in the Norwegian tax code that says you will still have to pay taxes in Norway for 3 years or so after you move abroad, so it’s better to start that clock early.
If you have documents to prove that you’ve moved, it probably won’t hurt to send them. But I don’t think you’d have to either. It’s not a crime to move and you don’t need permission from the government either. Once you’re gone, you’re gone. I think you can even own a holiday home and stay in Norway up to 60 days or 90 days per year or so?

Hmmm... You might be right...

The thing is that I've got tons of papers on the medical case, and any income I've had the past years has been integrated with that case - so basically when that is now completely gone, then one branch of the state has documented that I cannot be expected to pull in a lot of cash living there!

So, basically I could tell them to f... off and it would probably work... Or, pick a fight, leave it unresolved, and then return in a few years to start the whole thing over.

But the main thing is that all of this insane s**t is what I want to get away from. Won't ever own any property there again, not in my own name at least, seen too many cases where people have been forced out for whatever insane reason. Property is not really property in Norway any longer.

We'll see... If the world opens up a bit the next months I might even let the whole thing stay as it is, the one thing I've learnt about the system in Norway is that if you feed it a bit of conflicting information and then just ignore them, then the chances of them just letting you be are high! ;-)

I didn’t understand the first part about the medical case...?

I think the big advantage with highly digitalized countries like Norway is that the authorities are used to only clicking “OK” on their computers, so they’re extra lazy. As soon as anything goes to manual processing because it’s not a standard case, they don’t really want to deal with it, unless there is a high reward.

Eeeexactly ;-)

I´ve even dodged two speeding tickets using this to my advantage, in the first case I got my lawyer to request all documents. When she told me there was a clear picture of me, I simply did not reply & she then did not follow up. I got the other one when simply not living at my "government mandated address" for around 8 years.

When I do a check on my credit standing now, there is only ONE tiny notation that actually has not been legally removed - even tons of bill collector-stuff is just GONE ;-)

Of course everything is stored somewhere, but by living as a digital nomad & just not playing by their rules most stuff just ends up in some stale backwaters.

There is simply no use trying to salvage any of this system, its simply beyond repair. Dodging most radars for almost a decade & then getting out is what has kept me somewhat free and sane!

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad

Latest Threads