Our valued sponsor

Let's talk watches?

@ OP Checkout the Vacheron Constantin... Timelessness

Richard Mille Got Serious Reselling Value..

The GulfStream Of Watches: The Breitling Chronomat 44

some vacheron watches do look like quite nice

Richard Mille I would not be caught dead in these days, I used to like them back when nobody knew about them and you would very rarely see them on someones wrist. Thanks to rappers and social media hype, a richard mille is the first thing these NFT boys purchase when they pump and dump a jpeg of an ape. Also in 9/10 cases, they are fake.. Richard Mille no way near produces the amount of watches that you see on the streets every day in Dubai...

A Breitling was actually my first watch when I was a wee ladange¤%&

Nowadays I am all about Steel Rolex watches. I have been eyeing a Patek Philippe Nautilus for years, but can't justify the ever rising secondary market price. Now that they have discontinued them... I think I will for sure not get one anytime soon. A steel 5711 is going for over $200,000 now lol cig-:,

For Rolexes take a look at the Skydwellers that has always been my go to eye catcher...the Day Date Was A thing Pre covid...for now its watches that hold weight in stock and resell value..

You cant go wrong with the Vacheron... Exquisite I must say..cig-:,

From Rolex steel models I'd suggest
Daytona Panda (currently many look after this one, it became very popular recently)
GMT-Master II Pepsi
GMT-Master II Batman
Submariner Hulk (or Starbucks) or the black one is ideal for typical corporate business settings (lets say in banking) due to not being too flashy.

Explorers are also nice and might be the one I look into next.

I am gonna be controversial here and say take a look at A. Lange & Sohne. These are my watches. They are a German watchmaker but tell me better watchmaker even in Switzerland?

For many years, I collected lower-end Patek Philippe watches from the late-1930's to the early 1960's. I love the styling from that time period. Those watches hail from a time when wristwatches were understated, elegant timepieces instead of the gaudy, bulbous, oversized horrors of today (which, IMO, reflect our sick and twisted maximalist culture).

Then that greedy, scum-bucket of a company Rolex began its slash-and-burn campaign of limiting the sale of its spare parts to only "authorized service centers," where a simple cleaning and overhaul now costs thousands of dollars -- when any independent watchmaker could perform the same service for $300 to $400. Soon, all the other luxury watch companies followed suit. Finding parts for vintage watches soon became a nightmare, unless you sent your watch back to the factory or to an authorized service center. That is what finally ended my love affair with fine vintage watches.

I liquidated my entire collection for a pretty penny. I also made quite a bit of coin on spare parts that I had purchased on ebay over the years. For example, I paid about $600 for one box of parts over a decade ago, just to obtain one particular part that I really needed for a watch repair, and I must have cleared nearly $5,000 on just the contents of the remainder of that box.

I can tell you from personal experience that Patek Philippe holds its value better than any other watch company. It also holds most of the records at auction. If you buy a pre-owned Patek Philippe watch, you can wear it for a few decades and sell it for far more than you paid for it. Like firearms, high-quality pre-owned watches only increase in value.

By the way, if you return a Rolex watch to the factory, or to an authorized service center, and it has any non-original Rolex components, Rolex will refuse to service the watch or even confiscate the aftermarket part from you. So, for example, you pay a jeweler to make an aftermarket diamond bezel (which is high quality but half the price of a genuine Rolex bezel) to add to your Rolex watch, Rolex will either refuse to work on the watch or even confiscate the bezel from you. Don't take my word for it. Visit the various Rolex watch forums.

By analogy, it is like placing aftermarket mag wheels on your new car, but then the next time that you take it in for servicing the car dealer confiscates them from you. Rolex also props up and controls their prices like DeBeers controls the diamond market. Rolex . . . a real scum-bucket of a company.

Last edited:
From Rolex steel models I'd suggest
Daytona Panda (currently many look after this one, it became very popular recently)
GMT-Master II Pepsi
GMT-Master II Batman
Submariner Hulk (or Starbucks) or the black one is ideal for typical corporate business settings (lets say in banking) due to not being too flashy.

Explorers are also nice and might be the one I look into next.

I have currently the Daytona Panda, GMT Batman & Submariner date. I very much wish to acquire next a pre-2000s GMT Cokegre¤#!

I am also very much fond of the AP Offshore Royal Oak watches on rubber straps, but they seem very bulky.
By the way, if you return a Rolex watch to the factory, or to an authorized service center, and it has any non-original Rolex components, Rolex will refuse to service the watch or even confiscate the aftermarket part from you. So, for example, you pay a jeweler to make an aftermarket diamond bezel (which is high quality but half the price of a genuine Rolex bezel) to add to your Rolex watch, Rolex will either refuse to work on the watch or even confiscate the bezel from you. Don't take my word for it. Visit the various Rolex watch forums.
To be honest, I have not yet serviced any of my current Rolex watches lol and the oldest one is 7 years old. They still run perfectly.

Patek Phillipe is for sure something I have been thinking of acquiring for a very long time. I am very fond of the aquanaut, nautilus and the complications.

I have currently the Daytona Panda, GMT Batman & Submariner date. I very much wish to acquire next a pre-2000s GMT Cokegre¤#!

I am also very much fond of the AP Offshore Royal Oak watches on rubber straps, but they seem very bulky.

To be honest, I have not yet serviced any of my current Rolex watches lol and the oldest one is 7 years old. They still run perfectly.

Patek Phillipe is for sure something I have been thinking of acquiring for a very long time. I am very fond of the aquanaut, nautilus and the complications.

APs could be likened to the Grand daddy of Richard Mille , Hublot and the likes inline to aesthetics & similarities.

a few notables the Seamaster, Submariner never goes wrong,Rubber versions makes them look Gaudy.

for leisure and That Yachty looks i fancy the Swatch Irony range, The GShock range as well

IMHO rolexes should be just as purchased, never heard of customised bezels on a Rolex...

by the way the areas within Deira, and The Gold Souk Had me in awe, With the Level of knockoffs in abundance..cig-:,

Thats a good choice. Well it's said about once every 10 years or so is enough or if you want them polished and look like new again. I had a 20y old stopping suddenly, which is very rare but possible.

Luxury watchs are a good means of wealth preservation. Huh?

If one buy, say, 10 of them, over time, where would one keep them? Not all at home. But where -- in a special safebox in some bank?
Yes, in a safebox somewhere for example.

Imo they are not, because their technology age.
The key is timeless. It is like art. Not all but those which are discussed here. A casio most probably won't be ;) although ipods are also well priced. The $20,000 iPod: vintage Apple products net the big bucks on eBay

I'm eyeing the zenith defy skyline and Patek Philippe Nautilus, I currently have an old seamster, the new Aqua Terra GMT Worldtime from omega and two submarines.

in the future, I would love to purchase from small or indpendent manfuactures that sell limted pieces and/or one that have great stories behind them, sometihing like william wood or anordain (god, the anordain blue fume is so f*****g sexy).

I'm into watches as well owning a Submariner, Daytona 'Panda', Batman, Daydate and a ROO. All these have doubled in price, would never expect that.

But none were bought from an AD, because they never have for pieces to sell to 'us'

So how can we buy watches like Daytona's and Nautilus from an AD?

Reactions: Marc Rich

Latest Threads