Our valued sponsor

Netherlands no tax on trading besides NAV tax?

Nok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

I'm moving to NL and saw that they tax Net worth instead of capital gains at an effective rate of 1.2%. I make around 1000 trades a year, if I hold down a job which pays less than my net worth increase, will I still be able to just pay the 1,2%? In most countries there would be a cutoff at some point I believe.

in 2021 the tax on capital/assets: the 1st bracket is till 50K you pay 0.57%, 2nd brack till 950K you pay 1.35%, after 950K you pay 1.7%. Your 1st 50K is tax free, with a partner 100K.

Reactions: espresso and Nok
in 2021 the tax on capital/assets: the 1st bracket is till 50K you pay 0.57%, 2nd brack till 950K you pay 1.35%, after 950K you pay 1.7%. Your 1st 50K is tax free, with a partner 100K.

TY for the link. Do you happen to know what the Tax authorities mean by active asset management? I've read conflicting statements. Some people just seem to put their trading income in box 3 and seem to hope they will never get audited. The tax auth. seem to be arbitrary with their assignment of income/net wealth tax. For example I've read posts where painting one own House to rent it out later was considered asset management. What would happen if I get audited in 5 years and they determine it was income all along? Also what is customary in NL? Do people get audited on Net Wealth below 1M?

I asume that active asset management includes trading with the objective of making a profit, which doesnt belong in box 3 as far as I can see. Best would be to google a bit more on this or just call the Belastingdienst. Also know that the Belastingdienst is currently a bit of a mess. Decisions on what can go in box 3 can be arbitrary and depend on the local tax inspector in NL you get assigned. As in any country, they are after the big fish so low net wealth is less likely to get audited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nok
I'd be looking for tax planning advice for Dutch resident with BV and an offshore LLC...

This is a 'planning' question to see which income sources we could offshore for our business model. We also have residency in Bermuda. Tips are welcome.
As a Dutch resident there is no point in tax planning with offshore structures, especially in this day and age.

Get yourself an electric car and expensive house (100% mortgage) and those will be your only ways to avoid some tax.

Reactions: mikestachurski
The idea is to un-resident ourselves without selling our house, and still having some economic ties in NL, but having more economic ties elsewhere.

So, if anyone could recommend a tax planner -advisor.
Some economic ties is only going to work if you are going to a country with a tax treaty that has clear rules about when you are resident there, your best option would be Malta (5% tax) imo. As long as you reside more than 183 days in Malta and actually become tax resident there you are safe.

If you plan to move to Cyprus or UAE for example you will have to cut ALL ties, because the tax treaty will not support you. Also if you move out of the European Economic Area and you are a shareholder (with more than 5% ab) of a dutch b.v. you will have to give the dutch tax authorities a security that you will be able to pay the AB of 26.9%.

Reactions: Don
Some economic ties is only going to work if you are going to a country with a tax treaty that has clear rules about when you are resident there, your best option would be Malta (5% tax) imo. As long as you reside more than 183 days in Malta and actually become tax resident there you are safe.

If you plan to move to Cyprus or UAE for example you will have to cut ALL ties, because the tax treaty will not support you. Also if you move out of the European Economic Area and you are a shareholder (with more than 5% ab) of a dutch b.v. you will have to give the dutch tax authorities a security that you will be able to pay the AB of 26.9%.
The bit about 26.9% I didn't know about.

Because we are actually in Bermuda right now, we've been here since December. We got the digital one year visa, but we've set up an LLC, we have a Dutch BV, and a Dutch VOF, which we think we dissolve and put into the Dutch BV. We've stayed because I have family here, it is covid safe here, and because child #1 is in school in the states, child #2 is going to school in the states in September. Our income consists of ZZP services which we are doing from here, and a piece of IP that will soon be accredited and licensed to companies world wide (B2B).

So, I'd like to find someone how to best structure this to our financial advantage. So, if you know someone who does this, I know the big firms have solutions for big companies, but I'm looking for the 'happy meal' with the 'happy meal' price.

The bit about 26.9% I didn't know about.

Because we are actually in Bermuda right now, we've been here since December. We got the digital one year visa, but we've set up an LLC, we have a Dutch BV, and a Dutch VOF, which we think we dissolve and put into the Dutch BV. We've stayed because I have family here, it is covid safe here, and because child #1 is in school in the states, child #2 is going to school in the states in September. Our income consists of ZZP services which we are doing from here, and a piece of IP that will soon be accredited and licensed to companies world wide (B2B).

So, I'd like to find someone how to best structure this to our financial advantage. So, if you know someone who does this, I know the big firms have solutions for big companies, but I'm looking for the 'happy meal' with the 'happy meal' price.
If you’re Dutch yourself you could try Toine Manders.

Taxation is theft

Reactions: HeidiInTheAlps

Latest Threads