Our valued sponsor

New Corp Tax In Dubai. Please Help

Johnwills

Dec 25, 2022
dubai
Visit site
hi there, some really useful info on this forum. Perhaps somebody can help

i have a freezone company in dubai that owns property in europe. this uae compay receives rental income from these european properties.

will the new 9% corp tax apply to this rental income?

I cannot find this answer anywhere and the tax advisors dont seem to know either.

Anybody that can answre it would be amazing. many thanks

i have a freezone company in dubai that owns property in europe. this uae compay receives rental income from these european properties.

I cannot find this answer anywhere and the tax advisors dont seem to know either.

Are you sure that the company does not have a Permanent Establishment (PE) in Europe? If you are primarily just receiving income, you could say that the majority of the business interest and operations are in Europe therefore you need to pay tax there? I would ask your tax advisors that. Better be safe than sorry.

For Freezone Company it is zero tax mate.

What European country?

It depends if the country has a tax treaty with the UAE but most of the time profits from real estate are taxed in the country where the RE is located, but some tax treaties offer exclusions.

Reactions: oldtimer2
hi thanks for your replies.

There is a flat rate of 25% on foreign companies owning real estate in this country. The foreign company registers with the tax authorities in this european country and pays this special reduced rate on any rental income. I have done this. It does not owe further tax in the european country other than the 25%

My question is to do with Dubai. I have read the new corporation tax law in the UAE and it is not very clear. It states the following for freezones.

Free zones: Qualifying free zone persons will be subject to 0% CT on qualifying income and 9% CT on non-qualifying income.

It does not clearly state what is qualifying income. Yes you have an office and substance in the UAE as well as resident directors but it is not clear on the activity, and whether rental income will be exempt. Hence my question

There is a flat rate of 25% on foreign companies owning real estate in this country. The foreign company registers with the tax authorities in this european country and pays this special reduced rate on any rental income. I have done this. It does not owe further tax in the european country other than the 25%

My question is to do with Dubai. I have read the new corporation tax law in the UAE and it is not very clear. It states the following for freezones.

Free zones: Qualifying free zone persons will be subject to 0% CT on qualifying income and 9% CT on non-qualifying income.

It does not clearly state what is qualifying income. Yes you have an office and substance in the UAE as well as resident directors but it is not clear on the activity, and whether rental income will be exempt. Hence my question
As long as it is not doing business in the mainland e.g. rental income from Dubai properties. Of course, this is talking about the FZ companies.

if your company is paying taxes where they are due then just declare the income received and you dont have to pay any tax in UAE for freezone. Freezone company is technically outside UAE as per their tax law but physically inside UAE. Like the non dom taxation in UK and ireland. Unless and until any income is received or generated inside UAE mainland, you pay zero taxes for freezone company. More like territorial taxation system is applicable for freezone company. Hope it helps.