Our valued sponsor

Poland: 9% up to €1.2M revenue, 5% for IP.

blockchain4ever

Jul 13, 2018
Visit site
What do people think of the new regulations in Poland?

In EU, moving a company from a high-tax jurisdiction to Malta or Cyprus might raise red flags, while Poland should not raise any.

For the small business entrepreneur, this could potentially be ideal.

However, Poland might have its set of issues. What are they?

Don't know much about Poland, but in Lithuania you can have reduced tax rate of 5% for your company if you have less than 300kEUR income over the taxable period and less than 10 employees.
I also heard that now they have made first year 0% tax and from second year you pay 5%, but I am not sure about this one.
Standard corp tax rate is 15% in Lithuania.

If I remember correctly, Lithuania has the severe restrictions that you cannot own any other company.

Yes, theoretically you can't have more than 50% shares in any other EU company, but I never heard of them checking it. If you work silently without making any problems and not rising too much attention to your company, I don't think that there would be a problem having company in any other EU country in the same time.

In EU, moving a company from a high-tax jurisdiction to Malta or Cyprus might raise red flags, while Poland should not raise any.
Sorry, not to be rude, but how stupid do you think that tax office in Europe are? It makes zero difference what you are do if the purpose of a transaction is against applicable tax laws or if they can find something to come after you.

Reactions: Martin Everson
Yes, theoretically you can't have more than 50% shares in any other EU company, but I never heard of them checking it. If you work silently without making any problems and not rising too much attention to your company, I don't think that there would be a problem having company in any other EU country in the same time.

That's reasonable, but not optimal. I'm used to the tax office actually doing their job, and company registries will be public in EU soon which should make their job very easy. Maybe it's worth a shot though.

That said, what about Poland?

Sorry, not to be rude, but how stupid do you think that tax office in Europe are? It makes zero difference what you are do if the purpose of a transaction is against applicable tax laws or if they can find something to come after you.

IF, and that's a big IF.

Tax offices work differently from country to country, but at least what I'm used to is that they do risk profiling. It's not as if they have enough people to manually go through the tax declarations of every citizen. They let computers do that, and computers use statistics or correlations.

Malta and Cyprus companies correlates with tax dodging. Polish companies correlate with carpenters or truckers.

I agree it depends on the country. Where I live it is known what is going on in the low tax countries like Malta, Cyprus, Poland and the Baltic countries. It makes simply no difference. Poland is even known here for much other things and for that reason it's the same.

Maybe it is different in Germany and France (some of the major EU countries) but I doubt that the tax office in these countries sleep or live under a rock.

I think Poland is in a different category though. It has 40 million people. Poland's GDP ranks 10th in EU, and is larger than Belgium, Austria, Norway, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, ...

And then you have Malta and Cyprus with the tiniest GDP of all. Poland has 40x the GDP or Malta and 25x that of Cyprus.

I think this is important, because it means there is massive regular trade with Poland, so bank transfers or ownership of companies shouldn't raise flags. About 50% of the tax-refugees I know of in Malta have serious issues with the tax authorities back home, while I have never heard of anything like that for immigrant workers from Poland (not that I know their personal finances that well though).

For the small business entrepreneur, this could potentially be ideal.

Might be interesting as you say for small EU companies but do your homework thoroughly. The EU has introduced EU exit taxation and some countries have already adopted it into law but all must do so soon. EU Exit taxation as part of ATAD means moving your company to another EU country will result in a tax, and in some cases you would be taxed as if the assets where sold at market value on the day of moving. Check this law in you country and the threshold before moving your business. I discussed this in another thread below.

Tax harmonization will sooner or later come to EU and is already in the works. Personally I would not touch Poland with a barge pole. They introduced ATAD already meaning once you move your company their and potentially paid exit tax in other EU country you will have to pay exit tax gain in Poland to move it somewhere else :(.

Polish ATAD Exit Taxation new law:

Might be interesting as you say for small EU companies but do your homework thoroughly. The EU has introduced EU exit taxation and some countries have already adopted it into law but all must do so soon. EU Exit taxation as part of ATAD means moving your company to another EU country will result in a tax, and in some cases you would be taxed as if the assets where sold at market value on the day of moving. Check this law in you country and the threshold before moving your business. I discussed this in another thread below.

That could be an issue, but that only applies to unrealized gains, and that's not really a problem for me. I'm fine with winding down the operations when needed. Isn't an exit tax for corporations quite natural? What is taxed is the difference between the tax value and market value, which is what would happen if the company was dissolved or assets sold at market price anyways.

I have huge issues with the personal exit tax though.

Reactions: TurnedToRobot
Reactions: challenge
Isn't an exit tax for corporations quite natural?

No its not it is a new phenomena in EU that has just come into law across EU from 1st Jan 2019 with transition up to 2020 I believe. it means companies like i.e Apple based in Ireland are shafted if tomorrow Ireland raises corporate taxes to 35%. If Apple decided to move to Cyprus for example they would pay potentially up to 33% exit tax in Ireland eek¤%&.

Don't fall for no Polish trap and enter the country with its enticing low tax rate its a trap....lol. Yes, you could wind the company down and start same business in another EU country but this could be considered exit tax avoidance if you have start new business with same customers, business model, management, products etc but just different name. I wouldn't want to argue that in court.

I doner what this world will be in 10 years!

I don't know what the world will look like but EU will be the biggest open air prison in the world. Expect harmonized taxes, EU ID card, personal exit taxes across entire EU and a social score system.

Reactions: challenge

Latest Threads