Our valued sponsor

Split-year treatment taxation in EU

brescape

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I am looking to leave UK at the end of the UK tax year (April 2021), and pay all my dividend before that (around January 2021), and pay taxes in UK for that in the current (2020-2021) uk tax year, that gain goes from April 2020 to March 2021.

I want to move back to EU, in a country that would conside me tax resident from the day I arrive (this is technically called Split-year treatment) , and not for the whole 2021 year, so not to pay taxes for the January 2021 dividend also in the arriving country.

I did some research and I found a list of country that allow split year:
- Ireland
- Portugal (from 2015)
- France
- Czech republic

And some that for sure don't (will consider tax resident for the whole year):
- Spain (that is so unfortunate as it would have been my choice)

Does anybody know which other countries in EU, allow split year taxation? In particular, Netherlands, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Given it may be a big and last dividend, I am still keen to avoid declaring those dividends altogether in the country where I immigrate.
Any info about the question itself? Does Czech republic and Malta allow split year and consider me tax resident only from the date I arrive?

Thanks for the info. Given it may be a big and last dividend, I am still keen to avoid declaring those dividends altogether in the country where I immigrate.
Any info about the question itself? Does Czech republic and Malta allow split year and consider me tax resident only from the date I arrive?
  1. Presence in Malta for more than 183 days in any particular year amounts to residence in Malta for that year, regardless of the purpose and the nature of the individual’s stay in Malta. An individual who comes to Malta to establish his residence here becomes resident from the date of his arrival, regardless of the duration of his stay in Malta in any particular year.

Yes you are resident from your arrival day. But your taxation goes from this date.
I am not expert but probably till day arrival to Malta/Cyprus you are tax resident of another country.
If you have double taxation problem then you goes to double tax treaty tests in article 4.
Hint: you need have no old house to come back in old country and new permanent adres in new.
In new place you have to have some ties bank acc / job etc to escape for good from old country.

Latest Threads