SPV for startup/private equity investments - several shareholders

PhantomOf ThePits

Member Plus
May 12, 2021
World
Visit site
Hi,
which jurisdiction would you choose for the following:

- Group of friends (less than 5) want to pool their money and invest in different startups/private equity
- As it may be different investors/ticket sizes it would need to be different SPV for each investment (so no fund)
- Startups are mostly in EU/US
- Money only to be made on exit of investment
- Best case no/low CapGainsTax on Corporate level

Question:
- Which jurisdiction would you choose given there are no issues regarding CFC/Cap Gains Taxes on shareholder level?

Sure, lots of jurisdictions could be used to setup the company.
However, lots of these jurisdictions may have issues to setup bank accounts or will be 'costly' to run (audit/local director etc), specially when it is several companies over time the yearly costs add up.

Best case would be one fitting jurisdiction and then copy/paste when new investments are made.

I'd be happy to hear your ideas or best case experiences.

Thank you

Hi there,

Cyprus would be an excellent option for a holding/investment company.
You shouldn't have any issues with opening bank accounts and there is no capital gain tax on disposal on shares in other companies.
Provides flexible tax and corporate laws for exit strategies while it maintains a great double tax treaty network and is benefitting from the EU Directives.
In general I cannot see any better option, unless the specific circumstances of the investors and the countries of selected investments would point towards another more appropriate jurisdiction.
Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PhantomOf ThePits
Hi there,

Cyprus would be an excellent option for a holding/investment company.
You shouldn't have any issues with opening bank accounts and there is no capital gain tax on disposal on shares in other companies.
Provides flexible tax and corporate laws for exit strategies while it maintains a great double tax treaty network and is benefitting from the EU Directives.
In general I cannot see any better option, unless the specific circumstances of the investors and the countries of selected investments would point towards another more appropriate jurisdiction.
Good Luck!
Lawyer101
Thank you very much Lawyer101 - great advice and good points raised

I'll going to check which CSP would be the best to work with there.
If anyone got any advice/experience, would be happy to hear.

Hi,
which jurisdiction would you choose for the following:

- Group of friends (less than 5) want to pool their money and invest in different startups/private equity
- As it may be different investors/ticket sizes it would need to be different SPV for each investment (so no fund)
- Startups are mostly in EU/US
- Money only to be made on exit of investment
- Best case no/low CapGainsTax on Corporate level

Question:
- Which jurisdiction would you choose given there are no issues regarding CFC/Cap Gains Taxes on shareholder level?

Sure, lots of jurisdictions could be used to setup the company.
However, lots of these jurisdictions may have issues to setup bank accounts or will be 'costly' to run (audit/local director etc), specially when it is several companies over time the yearly costs add up.

Best case would be one fitting jurisdiction and then copy/paste when new investments are made.

I'd be happy to hear your ideas or best case experiences.

Thank you
Look into vauban.io their service is exactly what you’re looking for, and this is not a promotional comment I just think their service is top notch as everything is digitally created and structured with many different integrals regarding the SPV structure, terms, jurisdiction, ticket sizes etc

Reactions: GameBoy

Latest Threads