Our valued sponsor

Update on Hong Kong’s Foreign Source Income Exemption

Marzio

Rainmaker
Pro Member
Aug 11, 2019
Money Bin
Visit site
Under the updated FSIE regime, offshore in-scope passive income will be deemed to be sourced from Hong Kong and chargeable to profits tax if:
  • The income is received in Hong Kong by a constituent entity of an MNE[1] group (“covered taxpayer”) irrespective of its revenue or asset size; and
  • The recipient entity fails to meet the economic substance requirement for in-scope, non IP, offshore income, or fails to comply with the nexus approach for IP income.

Who would continue to do business in HK after Xi wanting HK to become China and with those restrictions on FSI?

Reactions: RealDude
Under the updated FSIE regime, offshore in-scope passive income will be deemed to be sourced from Hong Kong and chargeable to profits tax if:
  • The income is received in Hong Kong by a constituent entity of an MNE[1] group (“covered taxpayer”) irrespective of its revenue or asset size; and
  • The recipient entity fails to meet the economic substance requirement for in-scope, non IP, offshore income, or fails to comply with the nexus approach for IP income.

Who would continue to do business in HK after Xi wanting HK to become China and with those restrictions on FSI?
What is really disturbing is HK being closed off for so long and these ever tightening rules there made me exit HK for good.
If HK became China or nah never really bothered me tho and I hoped they would apply one or the other "openness" of USA regarding companies at least.

Sorry, but this is old news. A thread already exists over here -> Hong Kong (Passive) Foreign Source Income Exemption to end 1 Jan 2023 .

Reactions: Marzio