Our valued sponsor

Question USA Citizen / UK remote contractor - where to live?

em01

Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
Hey all, thanks in advance for your help.

Looking to optimize my tax situation and hopefully find somewhere a little more affordable to bring up family. UK based company has agreed that I can be a regular remote contractor for them, though be self-employed means I owe Uncle Sam 15% of net profits. They also have a US subsidiary I could be paid from, which might make things easier.

Any obvious countries, (currently looking at Portugal and NHR) or set ups, have seen some people talk about UK LLP to help me keep a little more after tax? Will potentially sell some stocks in 2021 as well.

Simplicity is important for me, but happy to pay a lawyer if there's a few hoops required at the beginning.

Best,
E

Edit: Not particularly looking to move to Eastern Europe, although I know there's some good deals to be had out there.

as USA citizen you would need still to declare tax in US even if you move to another country
You have to renounce your citizenship to be able to exit US tax system
US is the only country which taxes the foreign income of citizens residing abroad permanently

Look into Bermuda. They're offering a 1-year tourist visa. I would be there myself if I wasn't dealing with business school and the whole getting a boyfriend by age 28 and a husband by age 29 thing at the moment. Bermuda is literally paradise on Earth. The sands are pink, the WiFi is amazing, the boys (if you swing that way) are quite possibly in the top tier worldwide in terms of style, the girls (if you swing that way) are uniformly pretty, the environment is great, and it's a fantastic hub of commerce.

Latest Threads