Our valued sponsor

Using PayPal Or Stripe with HK or Sing Business

James Ganesha

May 21, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys so as many of you know the Hong Kong Bank situation is an absolute nightmare. In addition, NEAT is no longer opening accounts denominated in HKD, which I believe is a requirement for using stripe or paypal for an HK corporation.

At this moment in time, the only option for new startups wanting to incorporate in HK seems to be opening a bank account in another country. However it seems that banking outside the incorporated jursidicion is highly detrimental if the company wants to use Stripe or Paypal. Am I missing something?

Here's my question :
Will paypal or stripe allow an HK company to use them if the bank linked to the account is outside Hong Kong? use a Bank account outside the jurisdiction of Hong Kong (e.g. Sing, Switzerland, etc.).

Thoughts?

So you have a HK company, same as me. I've tried neat, airwallex and currenxie and now they all need to include beneficiary name, what stripe not allowed to do. I have the same question and situation.

Thanks for this info. And this is the only country outside the company's jurisdiction that you are allowed to link a bank account in?
This is the same for most countries PayPal accounts. You can transfer to local account + us account. Recently PayPal Hk started charging 2.5% for transfer to us accounts, while in most other countries transfer to US accounts is free.

NEAT is no longer opening accounts denominated in HKD, which I believe is a requirement for using stripe or paypal for an HK corporation.
Are you sure withdrawals for a H.K. corporation account can only be in HKD? I haven't read this anywhere before.

Will paypal or stripe allow an HK company to use them if the bank linked to the account is outside Hong Kong? use a Bank account outside the jurisdiction of Hong Kong (e.g. Sing, Switzerland, etc.).
Yes, I do this and it's not a problem. My offshore corporation bank accounts are in the U.S. (yes, it's possible!) to facilitate ACH transfers.

Nice! Are there any disadvantages to your HK company banking in the US? There's no tax or privacy issues?
I am not sure about privacy issues, but there's no tax implications since my corporation is in a tax-neutral jurisdiction. I was vehemently told by all consultants that banking for an offshore corporation in the U.S. was impossible, so imagine my surprise when the banks there approved my application. That too without an in-person visit!

I did want to structure things with a H.K. corporation for future acquisitions, so am curious where you read that Stripe/PayPal withdrawals can only be in HKD?

in the U.S. was impossible, so imagine my surprise when the banks there approved my application. That too without an in-person visit!
Can you please elaborate a little. You got an approval for an account opening with a US Bank for a Offshore company?

I did want to structure things with a H.K. corporation for future acquisitions, so am curious where you read that Stripe/PayPal withdrawals can only be in HKD?
I didn't read it anywhere, I know that because I tried it. I'm not sure about paypal, but you can't connect any other bank account to stripe. If you have HK company you can't edit currency and country here (screenshot). sad.jpg