Our valued sponsor

What’s the advantage of a 2nd citizenship for Belgian citizens?

But what would be the benefits for a Belgian citizen? (Or people with other strong European citizenships)

Having options outside Europe in case the German's get ideas again ns2.

I understand the benefits if your original citizenship isn’t very powerful.

But what would be the benefits for a Belgian citizen? (Or people with other strong European citizenships)
If you wish to escape the growing tyranny of the EU and your passport only gives you the right to live and work within the EU, then you may require alternative options.

Belgium has in normal cases 0% capital gains tax (only EU country I think), a strong passport for travel, strong welfare. I would say you benefit very little unless you fear or plan to do something that angers the government or its overlord the EU, or if the Germs invade, indeed lol.

Maybe for some E-businesses or god knows what happens with Russia.

Other EU countries have much higher taxes, more invasive laws that makes it easier for people or businesses to get closer to your assets, worse welfare, etc.

Belgium is suckling the EU tit quite well. 1/50 people in Brussels is a lobbyist. Thats a lot of money flowing in.

So if you can tolerate the EU very little, but if you cant then probably like Fleece said a lot.

Last edited:
I thought Belgium had one of the highest taxes in EU? Can you clarify?

Also do you think Belgium is good for asset protection?
Its average. Not good at all but some EU countries have government controlled bailiff organizations and court systems that proceed regardless if you have been officially served or not, as long as you you ve goten an adress.
People have had their credit scores destroyed and assets seized over just being on vacation from Denmark or Sweden.

Income tax is high but capital gain tax is 0 with some exceptions for ultra-speculative behaviour.

So it depends on what you want to do I guess. If you already have money Belgium is fine, you can live all over the world and then invest as a Belgian citizens. But if you want to build yourself a career and make money that way it´s not so good.

Last edited:
Belgium has in normal cases 0% capital gains tax (only EU country I think), a strong passport for travel, strong welfare.

0% capital gains tax but I don't wanna live in a boring country. Brussels is a tiny capital city, so very limited amenities and new things to do. Everyone knows everyone there. After 7 pm you can't do sh*t in this country cuz shops and grocery stores are closed and on sundays it's closed the entire day. Bureaucracy is horrendous
Belgium is also very backwards in terms of Fiber and 5G coverage. The people are still living in 2008
The language barrier... Wallonia and Flanders are basically 2 regions that pretend to be countries in an actual country lol. But I am surprised that this country still exist to this day. I would rather live in a country where everyone speak and understand the same language.

Don't recommend this country if you don't want to die of boredom.

0% capital gains tax but I don't wanna live in a boring country. Brussels is a tiny capital city, so very limited amenities and new things to do. Everyone knows everyone there. After 7 pm you can't do sh*t in this country cuz shops and grocery stores are closed and on sundays it's closed the entire day. Bureaucracy is horrendous
Belgium is also very backwards in terms of Fiber and 5G coverage. The people are still living in 2008
The language barrier... Wallonia and Flanders are basically 2 regions that pretend to be countries in an actual country lol. But I am surprised that this country still exist to this day. I would rather live in a country where everyone speak and understand the same language.

Don't recommend this country if you don't want to die of boredom.
Is your idea of fun going to shops and grocery stores after 7pm and on Sundays?

Is your idea of fun going to shops and grocery stores after 7pm and on Sundays?
Absolutely.

If I get hungry at 9PM on a sunday I would like to buy a snack nearby or want to buy a new tech device at Media Markt.
Did you know that in a lot of EU countries like Spain, Finland and Sweden have grocery stores opening till 10PM every single day?

If the Nordics can then Belgium has no excuses. What a boring country

Past midnight opening in Mcdonalds is not a thing there either. And again, almost every European countries have them and even 24/7 in major cities (Finland went completely 24/7 with Mcdonalds).

Latest Threads