Our valued sponsor

Woman Caught Smuggling £5m in cash from UK to Dubai

Martin Everson

Offshore Retiree
Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
Now this was not a great idea was it. Those thinking of taking large amounts of cash to Dubai better think twice cry&¤.

1622812352300.png

A woman has pleaded guilty to money laundering offences worth over £5m after being found at Heathrow Airport with suitcases stuffed with cash.

Tara Hanlon, 30, of Pelham Court, Leeds, was arrested as she tried to board a flight to Dubai on 3 October 2020 with more than £1.9m in cash.

Appearing at Isleworth Crown Court by video-link, Hanlon admitted four of the five offences she was charged with. She was warned to prepare for a jail term when she is sentenced on 26 July.

Border officials said the find in October was the largest individual cash seizure at the UK border in 2020. Hanlon denied one charge of conspiracy to remove criminal property from England and Wales between 13 July and 4 October 2020.

However, she admitted three counts of removing criminal property, relating to cash amounts of £1.4m on 14 July, £1.1m on 10 August and £1m on 31 August 2020.

She also pleaded guilty to attempting to remove £1.9m in criminal property from the country on the day of her arrest. Prosecutor Nathan Rasiah said the charges related to three trips and the failed attempt in October. Judge Giles Curtis-Raleigh adjourned the case for sentencing on 26 July and granted Hanlon bail.

---- end quote

Exactly makes you think how much she was really moved in total. She is just one person from potentially 1000's who bring cash to Dubai to launder each year.

Reactions: troubled soul

Now this was not a great idea was it. Those thinking of taking large amounts of cash to Dubai better think twice cry&¤.

View attachment 2656

A woman has pleaded guilty to money laundering offences worth over £5m after being found at Heathrow Airport with suitcases stuffed with cash.

Tara Hanlon, 30, of Pelham Court, Leeds, was arrested as she tried to board a flight to Dubai on 3 October 2020 with more than £1.9m in cash.

Appearing at Isleworth Crown Court by video-link, Hanlon admitted four of the five offences she was charged with. She was warned to prepare for a jail term when she is sentenced on 26 July.

Border officials said the find in October was the largest individual cash seizure at the UK border in 2020. Hanlon denied one charge of conspiracy to remove criminal property from England and Wales between 13 July and 4 October 2020.

However, she admitted three counts of removing criminal property, relating to cash amounts of £1.4m on 14 July, £1.1m on 10 August and £1m on 31 August 2020.

She also pleaded guilty to attempting to remove £1.9m in criminal property from the country on the day of her arrest. Prosecutor Nathan Rasiah said the charges related to three trips and the failed attempt in October. Judge Giles Curtis-Raleigh adjourned the case for sentencing on 26 July and granted Hanlon bail.

---- end quote

View attachment 2656

---- end quote
Hmmm She inevitably avoided The Mentor Group membership, and there it goes...cig-:,

I assume she used private jets to smuggle the money. I assume standard airport security would have checked her hand luggage when scanning her bags.

What I dont understand is why she would plead guilty to previous trips. Unless they had her under surveillance for a while?

I don't think the cash is legit at all.

Sounds like she turned snitch and in the process of snitching had to admit to the other smuggling activity ca#"!. Also judging by how she looks maybe airport security was distracted by her fake a*s and took eyes of the scanning machine :cool:.

Actually it does...
No. I understand some people on this Forum have shared wrong information. Please go and check this. Offer your services to a criminal organisation. Tell them you will transport their money. And you will just “declare it” and then their problem is solved.

if you have 2 million pounds from illegal activity all it takes is not just to fill out the form.

1. It was not her money. She was paid to transport the illegal money.
2. You cant just simply fill out a form. If you declare that you are carrying 2 million pounds, then you have to declare origin of the money.
3. Do you seriously think you can just leave the UK with 2 million pounds and declare it as Capital gains, lottery winnings etc without the customs wanting documentation for your claims?

i cant believe theese criminals are so stupid!! They Can just fill out 1 form and then they can transport all their dirty money

Reactions: Zaki
No. I understand some people on this Forum have shared wrong information. Please go and check this. Offer your services to a criminal organisation. Tell them you will transport their money. And you will just “declare it” and then their problem is solved.

if you have 2 million pounds from illegal activity all it takes is not just to fill out the form.

2. You cant just simply fill out a form. If you declare that you are carrying 2 million pounds, then you have to declare origin of the money.
3. Do you seriously think you can just leave the UK with 2 million pounds and declare it as Capital gains, lottery winnings etc without the customs wanting documentation for your claims?

i cant believe theese criminals are so stupid!! They Can just fill out 1 form and then they can transport all their dirty money
It has happened and up until Q1 of this year it still happens.

Lets be clear; I am as surprised as you are and agree with all you say. At the same time I see what happens. Specifically the last one that I am aware of in Q1 2021 originated from the UK. Zero problems. One form and gone.

It's kind of true about the forms, based on my experience. You might be "unlucky" enough to get a bureaucrat who thinks, but most of the time government employees just want to follow instructions and avoid work. If the form is properly completed they just accept it for filing and let you go on your way. In many European airports (not sure about UK) you can actually comply with this obligation just by dropping the form in a mailbox, or you can fill out an online declaration, so you don't ever have to talk to anybody in the airport but you are covered if they ask you. Still, I would not try it with such large amounts.

Reactions: GPT
Hmmm She inevitably avoided The Mentor Group membership, and there it goes...cig-:,
yeah that was where she failed :D

It's kind of true about the forms, based on my experience. You might be "unlucky" enough to get a bureaucrat who thinks, but most of the time government employees just want to follow instructions and avoid work.
Do what you mean is, she had just a bad day and were on the wrong place at the wrong time ?

They have a million ways to get cash out of the country, this was just one of them. The fact that they are willing to risk that much cash for a single trip shows they have significant means to begin with, so it was probably a slap on the wrist for them lol.

Once the cash lands there, it doesn't need laundering. Plenty of banks in Dubai who will accept the deposits without asking questions. The hardest part for them is smuggling it out. Factor in the lack of proper laundering process (No taxes nor commissions paid) and that was probably the equivalent of risking it being seized by customs. So out of 60-80m yearly (Rough estimate considering those entities use multiple corridors to smuggle money out), probably 2-5m gets seized. So it's around the same amount lost with no laundering involved, making the risk worth while for them. Border customs think they won the lotto but they really just hit the tip of the iceberg.

Reactions: GPT and uplana
Exactly makes you think how much she was really moved in total. She is just one person from potentially 1000's who bring cash to Dubai to launder each year.
It must be worth it and a lot of money that enters the Dubai borders each day.

Corona must have paused it a little but they for sure work on moving cash into Dubai again at the time I write this.

It must be worth it and a lot of money that enters the Dubai borders each day.

Corona must have paused it a little but they for sure work on moving cash into Dubai again at the time I write this.

Think people had moved to crypto in the interim

Reactions: troubled soul
Think people had moved to crypto in the interim
Crypto is less suitable for these kind of activities (data confirms that indeed) and you need technical skills whereas if you have said skills it is easy to make money in a broad range of fields and you don't have to engage in such high risk activities. Cash is still the name of the game as the Afghani president also proved ;)

Crypto is less suitable for these kind of activities (data confirms that indeed) and you need technical skills whereas if you have said skills it is easy to make money in a broad range of fields and you don't have to engage in such high risk activities. Cash is still the name of the game as the Afghani president also proved

That report seems to be a joke...lol. It's looking at data from transaction linked to known criminal entities...lol doh948"".
The fact that millions of people in China, Nigeria etc are all using crypto to circumvent government capital control is in itself criminal activity. There is a good reason China and Nigeria banned clamped down on crypto :rolleyes:.

Latest Threads