Our valued sponsor

Your own VPN in ten minutes

Mentor Group Gold Premium
Sep 5, 2018
Visit site
I would have never thought it would be so easy. After trying few different paid VPNs (one i liked the most was vpn.ac btw), i decided to look into setting up my own VPN on a cloud server. If it sounds scary to you, please keep reading. I found out about the app called Outline which will guide you wizard-style in literally 10 minutes. By default, it offers you to sign up to Digital ocean cloud service, but you are free to use any other cloud service or your own server in case you got one. Cheapest option for cloud service is about 5$ a month for 500gb traffic. Really, i was super impressed by how simple it was, just wanted to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
the website pretty much f**k up in Internet Explorer :(

I would have never thought it would be so easy. After trying few different paid VPNs (one i liked the most was vpn.ac btw), i decided to look into setting up my own VPN on a cloud server. If it sounds scary to you, please keep reading. I found out about the app called Outline (Outline VPN - Making it safer to break the news ) which will guide you wizard-style in literally 10 minutes. By default, it offers you to sign up to Digital ocean cloud service, but you are free to use any other cloud service or your own server in case you got one. Cheapest option for cloud service is about 5$ a month for 500gb traffic. Really, i was super impressed by how simple it was, just wanted to share.
running your own raspberry would probably cost you 1$/month in electricity.. and you know where you are passing..

I am using Express VPN. I live in Croatia and am mostly visiting US websites. What connection location should I use?
Dont like Express and NordVPN and other popular choices cause the speed is not so fast. People get them cause of their popularity.
Personally i would suggest to check the free trial of FineVPN cause it has the option to choose any country of the world. And the prices of their packages are awessome.

It is better not to have any share and deals with our Ukrainian banks. And if we are talking about 5% rate of taxes
that is only in practice if incomes are over than 7 million UAH. One day people in uniform will burst into your house and demand to pay bribes on a regular basis.

And digital ocean has access to all your band width and internet activity? Why not use a company that dealt with all the compliance to cover your butt? And has bare metal servers. Does not seem as conducive for privacy, hosting yourself does not do anything other than switch the trust from a VPN provider to your VPS provider (who has no reputation to back), and save you money. The VPN provider gets exposed for giving out logs and responding to court order, their company is fucked. VPS provider backdoors your VPN server, they never had a reputation to uphold.

Reactions: myhand
You really need to pay attention to what VPN and VPS you are using when it comes to data sharing!

Using VPS for hosting your own VPN is a good choice, but does not allow you to change the IP address often. You and only you are gonna use that IP address to surf the internet. But on a privacy VPN, many people share the same IP address.
Also, learn what VPN is actually intended to do, it is for connecting remote computers to one single network, such that apps that work on LAN environment, can do the work on remote PCs as well. A corporate entity can enforce which sites they allow, and which sites they wanna restrict.

If it's manageable for some to setup his own super private VPN it would be best choice. Personally I'm unable to do that but will give it a try with the OP's description.

Reactions: MichelRippon989