Our valued sponsor

POLL A membership-only database with efficient banking lawyers against banks/EMIs???

Only use this prefix if you are going to create a POLL

Build database of lawyers specialized in suing banks/EMIs in their local jurisdictions?

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better idea

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

jafo

Mentor Group Gold Premium
May 13, 2022
Earth
Visit site
In the few years I've been lurking on this site, I have noticed that banks and EMIs are quite fond of freezing customers' funds with impunity. What if we started a database of lawyers who are:
  1. Non-greedy
  2. Efficient & solution-minded
  3. In the same country as the bank/EMI
  4. Successful at attacking banks/EMIs that freeze funds and expose them
  5. Accept an initial retainer and then a percentage of the frozen funds. So many lawyers are out of work now, so it shouldn't be impossible to identify reasonable lawyers.
  6. Able to sue the banks for damages, tortious interference, emotional distress, and financial damages have been the result of the freeze.

This list would only be accessible to OCT current members with their discounted "legal fees".

Good idea or bad idea?

PS. I'm NOT immune to bad ideas, so I am asking. If I were so smart, I wouldn't have gotten married in my early twenties, so cut me some slack rof/%

In some countries contingency fees arrangements are prohibited.
Those countries would be excluded then. The objective is to hinder the banks/EMIs' incentive to act with impunity. Let's face it: If acting sh1tty has NO repercussions, +99.99% of the population would :rolleyes:

*** With excluded, I mean, we just pay them their fees regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:
Idea is good.

Lawyers out of work are out of work for a reason.

I am personally able to handle such disputes with banks in Cyprus and abroad. Had done a lot already. But up to the degree of negotiation and not chase them to court as I am working closely with lots of those banks.

Reactions: jafo
But up to the degree of negotiation and not chase them to court as I am working closely with lots of those banks.
that’s a problem in many places, as banks hire the best lawyers, so you might be forced to go with a second-third tier firm. I also heard from some very good law firms that as a policy they don’t litigate against banks.

that’s a problem in many places, as banks hire the best lawyers, so you might be forced to go with a second-third tier firm. I also heard from some very good law firms that as a policy they don’t litigate against banks.
that is true what you are saying. It is also my decision at this time to avoid going to court and always push for an amicable settlement as i am strongly of the opinion that if you end up in court you have already lost.

Reactions: jafo and JohnnyDoe
in fact 95% of the cases end with a settlement.
However a bank can bully you and keep delaying proceedings to increase your costs and force you out of the action, rejecting any settlement proposal.
True, but if you go to court, settlement becomes a long and arduous process. I would approach such a dispute with a complying and firm attitude towards the bank with the intention of a fast settlement, where possible of course.

True, but if you go to court, settlement becomes a long and arduous process. I would approach such a dispute with a complying and firm attitude towards the bank with the intention of a fast settlement, where possible of course.
Well, if anyone ever has an issue with banks or EMIs based in Cyprus, you are definitely the lawyer to call as you can walk up to their offices and discuss an amicable solution. Moreover, the goal of this post was to have OUR frozen money released. Although I can only speak for myself, I don't think anyone here is interested in getting anything other than their frozen money returned.

However a bank can bully you and keep delaying proceedings to increase your costs and force you out of the action, rejecting any settlement proposal.
This makes perfect sense, but we're also veterans of this game. If they enjoy bullying...my ultimate goal is to unmask the NAME of that person (or persons) at the bank using the bank's resources to bully others while pushing their "personal" agenda. If he or she thinks they can freeze our funds and bully us with impunity...I think he/she better rethink their life choices.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CyprusLawyer101
It would not make much sense to create such a database. You can list some good lawyers in this thread and that's fine. A database, I don't think there would even be 20 worldwide you could fill in that database!