Our valued sponsor

Contactless payment to send money of offshore account?

DrData

Nov 30, 2021
Panama
Visit site
These days, it is rather easy to obtain a virtual credit card linked to international accounts. For instance, Wise provides such card.

To obtain a physical card is however difficult, and actually impossible, in certain countries. For example Wise will not ship everywhere in the world, and this limitation also applies to most of its competitors.

Nevertheless, is it possible to use a contactless payment on the phone, like Apple Pay? The idea would be to link Apple Pay, or any such contactless payment available in the country (at least with local banks), to some virtual card. I am not sure whether there are limitations, from the account issuer, the card issuer, Apple Pay or the local payment services. Any thoughts? Any experience?

Some VCCs can be used for Apple Pay.

AFAIK with Wise you can add your VCC via Apple Pay to use around the world.

There's a manual adding option for CCs to Apple Pay as well, but if the issuer doesn't support it your card can't be used I guess.

Also keep in mind that there might be a reason why physical cards are not available in certain regions, might be due to acceptance of cards / card fees.

There's a manual adding option for CCs to Apple Pay as well, but if the issuer doesn't support it your card can't be used I guess.
yes working in all shops in different countries, so far no problems to use the card that way anywhere.

Reactions: DrData