Our valued sponsor

I can't believe no1 reported the news about argentina

Yeap, I do have Euros and USD, so I'm in search for more fertile lands.
I'm looking all over the world but I don't like Dubai, and I want to be far from Europe, and southeast Asia is too much of a culture shock for my family, so Latin American it is I think.... Time will tell.
Why not Uruguay?
too much of a culture shock
If you lived in the US and cohabitated with (European) Americans, the Latin culture is ALSO a major shock.
Argentina is on par with Brazil when it comes to culture, despite what both will claim. I've spent a lot of time in both places; it's repackaged differently, but the same end results. :rolleyes:

I suggest you read this in its entirety...it's about Brazil, but it applies equally to Argentina and decide if you can or are willing to "dribble" (football term of art and pun) the locals.

South America is within my circle of competence as I have had clients there since the last 80s. You do need to educate/familiarize yourself with the region first though, otherwise, you'll feel I am speaking "Swahili" to you. Unless you know the basics of the area, its culture, and its language, anything I try to explain will sound and feel so frustrating to you.

Please try perusing the Reddit link above to assess if you want to expend this much energy.

PS. There are absolutely incredibly successful, educated, resourceful, and intelligent people in all of Latin America, but they (<1%) are really completely segregated from the proletariat and everyday people.

Reactions: Don
Why not Uruguay

I was just reading about Uruguay as I know a few people that have moved there, and it seems like a better option. I don't know if you've been there but they seem to have kept the country in much better shape then Argentina.

Thanks for all information and the Reddit link, I'm going to read it right now.

Reactions: jafo
I was just reading about Uruguay as I know a few people that have moved there, and it seems like a better option. I don't know if you've been there but they seem to have kept the country in much better shape then Argentina.

Thanks for all information and the Reddit link, I'm going to read it right now.
Uruguay is, to me, the nicest & safest place in Latin America.

Let's go to the nitty gritty = what you are interested in:

Is Uruguay better than Argentina to live and run a business?

Let's use one case: Mercado Libre Inc. and its founders:
Marcos Galperin (Argentina) Marcos Galperin - Wikipedia
Stelleo Passos Tolda (Brazil),
and Hernán J. Kazah (Argentina).

You can watch an interview with them here:

Mercado Libre has a market cap of $75.60B

Notwithstanding the founders being from the two largest economies of South America, Brazil and Argentina, they chose Uruguay as their headquarters:

1700601365731.png

As you need more info, I will DM you links to publicly available info. I'm apprehensive about promoting real estate agents or companies in Uruguay on OCT without them adequately compensating OCT.

I'll DM you only links. You read them with purpose in mind and exercise caution. I've dealt with them all before but that means nothing. +35 years ago I also married a nice Virginia Barbie-looking girl at William & Mary
Just two years after the marriage she underwent a massive metamorphosis and was NO longer the same girl I married, so Caveat Emptor rof/%

Reactions: Radko
Don't they have citizenship-based taxation? Also, I think it is very difficult or impossible to get rid of the Argentinian citizenship after acquiring it.

Buenos Aires has some very nice parts, you should check it out.

You were right, Argentina taxes you on foreign income and property if you are a resident there.

Uruguay is a better option for living.

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo
I'm about to get a second passport from Argentina, and I'm looking to relocate my family to another cheaper, more free country.

My question is, is it safe down in Argentina? And have you visited Uruguay and if so, would you prefer Uruguay over Argentina?

Thanks for sharing that information.
Yes I've been in both places (I have visited almost all Latam countries).

As of today I will choose Uruguay before Argentina, because Argentina is still under the ideas of peronistas... Plus living in Montevideo I would only be a couple hours from Buenos Aires.

Now that being said, be aware that living in Montevideo is not that cheaper in comparison to some european countries... You will save in some taxes depending on the type of business you have (registering your business as a free zone business for example) but in terms of living expenses is not that different

Reactions: Radko

Latest Threads