Our valued sponsor

learning languages

void

freedom addicted ultra relativist
Pro Member
Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to improve in some languages. Besides I'd like to learn about your ways of learning I'm looking for an app/platform that would support an approach that suites me.
I expect to be facing new and new challenges and once I learn something I want to confirm (myself) I don't want to include this any more and and app fills the gap with something new.
The easiest case would be a set of say 50 words I practice where each word memorized is replaced with a new one. Might seem silly but this works for me. Analogically with phrases or grammar rules...
A killer app would be something asking me, listening to what I say and verifying if I'm correct (the word it self, pronunciation, construction of the sentence, whatever is the objective) and if I'm not successful it keeps bringing it up more often.
But anything less sophisticated (like typing in Duo lingo, which btw sucks as a concept in my opinion) would be fine. It's primarily all about this particular learning method/principle not the form.
Any ideas?

I'd like to improve in some languages. Besides I'd like to learn about your ways of learning I'm looking for an app/platform that would support an approach that suites me.
I expect to be facing new and new challenges and once I learn something I want to confirm (myself) I don't want to include this any more and and app fills the gap with something new.
The easiest case would be a set of say 50 words I practice where each word memorized is replaced with a new one. Might seem silly but this works for me. Analogically with phrases or grammar rules...
A killer app would be something asking me, listening to what I say and verifying if I'm correct (the word it self, pronunciation, construction of the sentence, whatever is the objective) and if I'm not successful it keeps bringing it up more often.
But anything less sophisticated (like typing in Duo lingo, which btw sucks as a concept in my opinion) would be fine. It's primarily all about this particular learning method/principle not the form.
Any ideas?
Well, I speak several languages myself. For me best works to be immersed. Ideally, I live in the place whose language I like to learn or spend significant time there. I will prioritize learning by the streets instead of learning it dry and practice from day 1.
Second best, I watch some news channel or interesting youtube show in the language if I cannot be there for whatever reason. Important is it to be a real one which also locals watch.
Also trying to find someone online or whatever to have 1:1 conversations etc.
Only as much grammar as barely needed to make some basic sense out of the language.
Also I do not have the standard for myself to be 100% a grammar book, so I will be ok with 80% accuracy but I emphazize on understanding others and make myself understood.

Its a highly subjective thing and needs to assess how you can learn most effectively and not everyone is different. Some people really can learn a language with just books. I saw a few examples and it leaves me speechless.

Reactions: Marie Manila
Any ideas?
Also what @JackAlabama said. It's important to immerse yourself, apps don't work for long. They can definitely help you for getting down the basics, but after that, you should immerse yourself and maybe use a tutor online, and then also live in the country if possible. Living like a local is truly the best way. Oh, and make sure you are actually motivated to learn the culture/lifestyle, etc. and not just the language for sake of learning it.

Good luck

Reactions: JackAlabama
I get all the advises regarding immersion, talking to locals on a daily basis etc., I'm doing my best whenever there is an opportunity
however my available time I can dedicate to polishing my basics of languages I'd like to improve is mostly while driving or having unplanned extra 30mins - hence looking for an efficient app

Use some language learning app like Duolingo, Babbel, or Busuu.

Watch movies and TV shows in the language you want to learn. As you progress, experiment with turning off subtitles. Listen to music with singing in that language, especially if you can find translations of the lyrics.

Read books in the language. Start with children's books and work your way through young adult to adult. Try reading news in the language.

Make efforts to pronounce correctly, but forget about learning perfect pronunciation. As long as you aren't learning French (with the intention of speaking with people from France), no one is going to care that you have an accent. It's a little more complex if you're learning a tonal language but 99% of the time, people will understand from context and might offer a correction.

I get all the advises regarding immersion, talking to locals on a daily basis etc., I'm doing my best whenever there is an opportunity
however my available time I can dedicate to polishing my basics of languages I'd like to improve is mostly while driving or having unplanned extra 30mins - hence looking for an efficient app
This does not work for me personally, but Ive met people who can do it by just learning words with like an audio flash card like system and they get quite a good stack of words ready that way.
They read the english word, then the target word in foreign language and then there is a space for you to repeat.

But as I said, I cannot do it, I will forget the words the next day if learned like that.

Reactions: jafo
No one mentioned a language exchange partner; it's one of the best ways to learn. Nowadays you can find one online, and exchange languages through a videocall.

The way it has worked for me is to talk 30 minutes in one language, and 30 minutes in the other one. Both parties benefit, and you'll be surprised at how much you learn of your own language as well.