Our valued sponsor

Non-Dom is automatic in Cyprus?

MarkusCostigan

Apr 23, 2022
Malta
Visit site
Hi guys, if I were recognized as tax resident in Cyprus (without spending more than 183 days), would I be treated as a non-dom automatically (like Malta for Example)? Or does a request have to be made to get the nom dom? (for example as for 60day). Obviously I am not a Cypriot citizen nor do I have Cypriot ancestry.

Thank you.

Are we talking about a company here, or are you referring to yourself as an individual?

You technically and legally become a non-domiciled resident of Cyprus as soon as you take up residence in Cyprus if you aren't a Cypriot citizen or if you are a Cypriot citizen who hasn't lived in Cyprus for the last 20 years.

When the time comes to submit tax returns, you should first get a non-domicile exemption status from the tax office. It's a pretty easy process that can be done on your own, but it's worth spending a few hundred on having a law firm help you with the process.

Reactions: kkein
Are we talking about a company here, or are you referring to yourself as an individual?
Individual

You technically and legally become a non-domiciled resident of Cyprus as soon as you take up residence in Cyprus if you aren't a Cypriot citizen or if you are a Cypriot citizen who hasn't lived in Cyprus for the last 20 years.

When the time comes to submit tax returns, you should first get a non-domicile exemption status from the tax office. It's a pretty easy process that can be done on your own, but it's worth spending a few hundred on having a law firm help you with the process.
Yes, the only problem is that when you apply for non-dom, you must prove that you are not tax resident in another country.

Or should this rule be made just to follow the fast 60 day procedure?

Yes, the only problem is that when you apply for non-dom, you must prove that you are not tax resident in another country.
No, there is no such check when you apply for non-dom status. Non-domicile status is unrelated to tax residence.

Or should this rule be made just to follow the fast 60 day procedure?
Indeed, that's just for the 60-day tax residence rule. They don't really ask for proof either, IIRC. It's just a statement you make along with providing some other data.

Latest Threads