Our valued sponsor

personal account USA and proof of address

usdt

Mentor Group Gold Premium
Nov 4, 2021
Wien
Visit site
Are you aware of any banks in the United States where a non-resident could open a personal account without providing proof of address? I'm primarily interested in major banks or, if necessary, local banks in California. From what I understand, a few years ago it was easier to do so, but now all the banks I have inquired about (such as BoA, Wells Fargo) require proof such as a utility bill, etc., when opening an account. Is it possible nowadays to bypass this requirement and use a mail forwarding service address without providing proof of address when opening an account?

Are you aware of any banks in the United States where a non-resident could open a personal account without providing proof of address? I'm primarily interested in major banks or, if necessary, local banks in California. From what I understand, a few years ago it was easier to do so, but now all the banks I have inquired about (such as BoA, Wells Fargo) require proof such as a utility bill, etc., when opening an account. Is it possible nowadays to bypass this requirement and use a mail forwarding service address without providing proof of address when opening an account?
KYC/AML rules require them to ask for your residential address (street, building nr. , apt. nr., city, country). Mail forwarding service is just mailing address.

it's not a good idea to paint a utility bill for the mail forwarding service address. It can be easily verified.
KYC/AML rules require them to ask for your residential address (street, building nr. , apt. nr., city, country). Mail forwarding service is just mailing address.
I agree with you, but what can I do if I do not live in the USA? As far as I can tell from posts on forums and reddit, people often use these services without problems. And service sites explicitly indicate that they can be used for such purposes. Although there is a risk that later the bank may ask you to clarify the data or even close the account

BofA should open accounts for nonresidents, unless something has changed. You will still need a US mailing address though, and the account can only be opened in person. Bring two types of ID. The US address will be on your bank statement.
Bank statements are generally accepted as utility bills.

Reactions: saintjohnny
At the BofA branch, the manager said that even confirmation from Airbnb would be sufficient as proof of address. The call center said that this is not enough. So it really depends on the branch

I think it's no longer the case, as both in the call center and at the branch, they require bringing proof of address.

You can bring proof of your overseas address? You literally tell them you don't live in the US. I know several people who opened accounts with BofA... last year, I think. Without any proof of a US address.
But of course something could have changed, I don't know.

they answer that you need to reside in the usa to open an account
Go to florida (preferible orlando or miami) because they are used to open accounts for foreigners, go to any bank building and open an account. They need an address in the US because that's where they will ship everything so you need to stay in the US for a few weeks. That's all you need

I don't know all the requirements from all the banks in the U.S. but the ones that I know will ask you to provide a U.S. address.
However, there are banks, mainly in Florida as someone has mentioned, that will open an account for you without a U.S. address.

I have an account with Chase and I don't live in the U.S. but Chase will now ask you for a U.S. address.

But you have two solutions that I can think of...

1) You open an account with a U.S. Broker that besides giving you a brokerage account will also give you a checking account, and a debit card. I recommend Charles Schwab, but you'll need to provide an address somewhere in the world.
2) The second option is that I put in contact with someone that will open an account for you in either Chase or BofA without having to provide a U.S. address, but you will have to provide an address somewhere in the World (the guy that I know is legit, I know him, but he will charge you a few thousand Euros, he offers a lot of services related to Banking, Company formation, etc.)

I also know a company that does provides the same services as the guy that I've just mentioned, the company is in Singapore and they are also legit. They will charge you of course.

But regardless of the path you choose to open an account in the U.S. you will have to provide an address somewhere, maybe your parents home if you don't want to give your address.

Reactions: usdt
I don't know all the requirements from all the banks in the U.S. but the ones that I know will ask you to provide a U.S. address.
However, there are banks, mainly in Florida as someone has mentioned, that will open an account for you without a U.S. address.

I have an account with Chase and I don't live in the U.S. but Chase will now ask you for a U.S. address.

But you have two solutions that I can think of...

1) You open an account with a U.S. Broker that besides giving you a brokerage account will also give you a checking account, and a debit card. I recommend Charles Schwab, but you'll need to provide an address somewhere in the world.
2) The second option is that I put in contact with someone that will open an account for you in either Chase or BofA without having to provide a U.S. address, but you will have to provide an address somewhere in the World (the guy that I know is legit, I know him, but he will charge you a few thousand Euros, he offers a lot of services related to Banking, Company formation, etc.)

I also know a company that does provides the same services as the guy that I've just mentioned, the company is in Singapore and they are also legit. They will charge you of course.

But regardless of the path you choose to open an account in the U.S. you will have to provide an address somewhere, maybe your parents home if you don't want to give your address.
BofA requires an address in the US to open it, I have one account with them and that was one of the requisites, I used a rented address and it was ok for them.

BofA requires an address in the US to open it, I have one account with them and that was one of the requisites, I used a rented address and it was ok for them.

The problem that I see having a U.S. address is that if you invest that money through that U.S. bank you'll pay taxes in the U.S.
Now if you just need a checking account in the U.S. you can open it without having to rent a place in the U.S.