Our valued sponsor

Piraeus Bank (Cyprus) and identity fraud

CWI

Offshore Agent
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Greetings all,

I am writing this post to let everyone know about a situation that happened to me and at the same time ask for advice for someone with legal knowledge on this matter or that has gone through the same as me.

Lets try to make a long story short.

About 2 and a half months ago I received in my address a bill from the Piraeus Bank (Cyprus) with description "SWIFT/ BIC" Confirmation. I did not know what it was so I checked my account online to see what that was all about. To my surprise and shock, almost all the funds had been transferred by means of two transfers. I immediately called the bank as asked who authorized those transfers and why did the bank hadn't contacted me. They told me they had been changing emails with me and accepted transfer orders by fax with my signature.

Conclusion. Someone hacked into my email and gathered enough information (including my account number and my signature) and started emailing the bank and sending transfer orders by fax using my email and signature. The strange thing is that I have my email notifications ON and never received any notification from those emails he was exchanging with the bank.

Where did the bank fail? The bank never contacted by calling my registered phone they have on their file (as their own security procedures oblige) and accepted confirmation calls from a different phone number provided by the fraudster. By not calling me the bank made it easy for the fraudster to access funds. I even know the fraudster emailed the bank asking for account statements to know how much money was available. I have online banking, why would I pay 26€ for an email with a .pdf of my account statement when I have online banking? If that was not enough, I always use online banking to transfer money and always transfer approximately the same amount always to the same account number. These transfers were executed through a different channel (fax), to a different country and the amount transferred was approximately 4x the amount I usually transfer. Didn't the bank notice something strange was going on? Why didn't they call my cell phone number which they have?

From the beginning of this process the bank did not accept any responsibility or tried to find the fraudster and it has come to the point that they are neglecting me and not replying my emails asking how can they claim to have followed all rules when they never called my phone number which is in their system?

Again, this email serves to alert everyone about this bank and how they are performing and at the same time to ask for advice on how to proceed.

So far I have:

- Placed a complaint in the country to where the transfers were made providing all data that I have which identifies the receiving account completely and the name of the account owner.

- Exposed this situation to Central Bank of Cyprus showing how the bank failed to put in practice their own security procedures.

- Same as above to the European Central Bank.

Anything else I can do?

I appreciated any advice. Thanks!

Reactions: cosmo
Thread moved to correct forum.

I suspect the scammers from Zen Offshore who were doing the incorporations of companies in the Seychelles for CCLogic. They ran away with loads of personal information of a lot of clients. Other than that I am still confused how they managed to hack my email (my password was never revealed to anyone and not a weak password) but most of all how I never received notifications about incoming mails from the bank.

Still I think the bank is the main responsible because at some point before executing the transfer, they should have contacted the phone number they have on their records because that is the only one they can be sure its mine.

ZenOffshore are they out of business? I think it's a good idea to post here to see if any other people will come here and post about similar issues. The bank should have informed you, but when I use my token to wire money out of the account they don't ask any questions nor send me anything, so why should they do so in your case?

They were found to be scammers.That is all the information I received from CCLogic.

Anyway, they were only responsible for company incorporations but not for the bank account openings. What happens is that they will knew about my email, the name of the company and had a lot of other personal information. Once inside one's mail they knew exactly what to look for.

I can not swear they were responsible, but given the circumstances, they are the ones I suspect.

Well, if they have your e-mail address it does not mean they have mail account, password and username for that e-mail specific. I simply can't believe this is possible at all. May I ask what amount they should have stolen from you? And what account has the money been transfered out of your account to?

Well, how they entered my email account I have no freakin' idea. Another strange thing is that I never received a notification on my phone that an email had been received when the email was sent by Piraeus Bank Cyprus and I always receive notifications for incoming emails. In my email account, looking enough to all my sent emails, it would be possible to gather enough information in order to know my account number, my personal information and the emails of the persons I was contacting in the bank. The fraudster had enough knowledge to start talking with the bank in my name, as he did. But with this information he could not have moved funds because my card number was not available, my online banking passwords were not available and he does not have my phone which the bank is obliged to call before executing a transfer ordered by fax (its in their documents).

This is where the bank failed, by not contacting the number they had registered and instead called a number provided by the fraudster by email.

The fraudster asked for bank statements by email when I can do it by online banking. The bank should have realized that if I had internet to send emails I would use it to check online without the costs of asking it by email. Because of this the fraudster wiped my account clean and sent the money to two accounts in Great Britain (HSBC and Barclays) for which I have all the information.

I already placed a fraud complaint in the GB police including all the data I have, but nothing happened so far. I don't have my hopes high because I am not a British citizen and this was a trans-national crime, so the police is likely to overlook it. Nevertheless, they have all the data required to start an investigation.

Further to that, I am just waiting to receive from my mobile operator a list of incoming calls in order to prove the bank did not call my number in order to confirm the transfer data WITH ME. After I have this I will report to the Central Bank of Cyprus and European Central Bank, the supervising organisms, that the bank did not follow their own security procedures hoping someone will do something about this.

Other than that I have no other ideas on how to proceed, that is why I am asking in the forum for opinions of more knowledgeable members.

Identity fraud has been driving away a lot of investors. It scares people because it is too hard to fight. Even the best of the best of technologies can no longer retrieve the amount stolen unless some serious investigation is involved. Take good care. It is better to scatter your assets. This way, they cannot get them all in one hacking.