Our valued sponsor

Safest Countries to Buy Land/Home?

Heard different stories of Expats purchasing homes and Land in Asia just to have it stolen from the government after the minimal politic turmoil.

What are the safest countries in Asia/Middle East/Europe to buy land/home that also will most likely not decline in value over the next 10 years?

Heard different stories of Expats purchasing homes and Land in Asia just to have it stolen from the government after the minimal politic turmoil.

What are the safest countries in Asia/Middle East/Europe to buy land/home that also will most likely not decline in value over the next 10 years?
where you hold passport from, otherwise you will lose it when times get tough.

In times of strife it’s mainly landed resources that are seized - an apartment or a small homestead would be fine.

As for the West our governments are in debt up to their eyeballs - taxation in the US in the past was over 90% at times of strife.

So even buying there you’d likely be hit with taxation forcing selling into a illiquid market.

Times like these in the West is a period you rent and you buy hard assets that can’t arbitrarily be seized with ease to bail out the bankrupt state, banks or other.

Reactions: Amandograde
You do have a home sitting in the air. That’s not “real” real estate ownership, which is intended as extending ab inferis ad astra, without neighbors walking over your head or telling you to shut up from the floor below.
You should re-read what I stated

A homestead has land, it won’t be seized, they go for vast chunks of land not 300sqm

You do have a home sitting in the air. That’s not “real” real estate ownership, which is intended as extending ab inferis ad astra, without neighbors walking over your head or telling you to shut up from the floor below.
You should re-read what I stated

A homestead has land, it won’t be seized, they go for vast chunks of land not 300sqm

Well, the beautiful thing is you could probably do both.

The question was asked, that was a simple answer based on historical actions.

The small homestead is rarely targeted for seizure, the condo is rarely targeted for seizure, the landed house is often targeted for seizure.

FYI in the future with the break down of shipping lanes, and rise of a bipolar world, owning a boat won't offer the freedoms of the past, for example in Europe at some point they will tax the hell out of it under carbon allowances, in Asia/Pacific/Indian-Ocean/African-Coasts theres already pirates rising due to lack of economic activity and prosperity at home (when no job one needs to steal, and rich Westerners sailing through are fair game).

you buy hard assets that can’t arbitrarily be seized with ease to bail out the bankrupt state, banks or other.
#Bingooooooooooooooooo
Source: Blockchain.com | The World’s ‘Hardest’ Asset is Ironically Virtual.

Also, NEVER underestimate the power of physical violence: GitHub - jlopp/physical-bitcoin-attacks: A list of known attacks against Bitcoin / crypto asset owning entities that occurred in meatspace.

Only in those places where you can defend your property using force, whether physical or financial.

If you don’t own the land your property sits on you own nothing.
Sadly, and contrary to all and every rule of law or whatever anyone dreams of, @JohnnyDoe is 100% correct! I was a victim of this and how it happens would shock the f*ck out of everyone here.

Not to derail the topic, I won't get into it unless someone really wants to know.

PS. @Radko mentioned something similar about squatters and his property (ies?) in Spain. In my case, it wasn't squatters. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Was sitting at a table night before last with friends - ex bankers

One remarked about how great it is being Swiss overseas and that he had to inform the Swiss Gov when he moves countries

The other remarked that he did the same also

I choked on my wine.

It’s something I’ve gradually then quickly fallen into the mindset that my passport (British) would likely be severed by myself the moment the British Government tried to force me as a non resident to inform them where I am, file tax returns as a non resident and no ties to the UK, etc

I remarked you truly have to do all this filing to get your pension that you paid into? To get the health service you say you are entitled to?

They thought it was normal, I left the UK when I was paying roughly 47/49% tax and they’d just increased VAT to 20% (was sold as temporary) my reasoning why was all the tax I was paying yet all the homeless people I saw, all the colleagues that got laid off and the state of the infrastructure in and around London.

At the same time my government was bailing out the Irish banking system and the Iceland banking system so they could bail out the councils that instead of utilizing the funds to maintain and upgrade invested them abroad whilst utilising the returns to give the appearance of maintenance.

The same setup exists today all across the West - it’s basically theft.

It’s hard loving one’s country or what ones country once was but the passport the citizenship means very little in a world where one can readily obtain alternative citizenships and wear them like coats that can be discarded.

I’ve come to the same conclusion with the UK, my friends much older are just happy they are the last on the gravy train - ones a bit pissed as reality is setting in that he was about 10 yrs late - but there’s a lot of self centered views that they know they voted in the people that destroyed the countries, pumped asset prices which they could then sell into the demand for and enjoy their retirements - whilst also getting funds from bankrupt states knowing that it won’t ever be repaid but they will have a good time knowing they didn’t have children that will be left with the mess.

And eventually it goes poof.
And takes nearly all assets with it l.

In that world, hard assets that have a bearer basis or digital assets that are everywhere yet nowhere are the key to survival.

It doesn’t matter what house you have if you are in that zone for they will either tax you out of it or seize it or a revolution will occur and well you are are the rich guy so it’s your head on a stake.

I don’t partake in the decline of the West bar betting against its placebo markets, currencies strength etc.

If in the west you buy stuff you can walk away from yet enjoy, or something you find acceptable to live in but are not the castle on the hill that gains attention.

I see it as something like that - as something needs to give somewhere and I’d rather it not be me handing over to despicable politicians that frankly I believe belong in the Tower of London more so than the gracious halls of West Minister.

So Hard/Digital and everything else something you can walk away from, much like you need to be willing to dump a citizenship like you’d change your shirt for the seasons.

Sadly, and contrary to all and every rule of law or whatever anyone dreams of, @JohnnyDoe is 100% correct! I was a victim of this and how it happens would shock the f*ck out of everyone here.

Not to derail the topic, I won't get into it unless someone really wants to know.
Tell us! You can skip the part where you had to use your excavator to clean up the mess smi(&%

something you find acceptable to live in but are not the castle on the hill that gains attention.
the castle on the hill remains the safest place where to live. No punk/gypsy/thief will dare coming anywhere near and you can leave the door unlocked.
Of course the state mafia will eventually come in, uninvited, but knowing this you can prepare in advance smi(&%

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jafo
Was sitting at a table night before last with friends - ex bankers

One remarked about how great it is being Swiss overseas and that he had to inform the Swiss Gov when he moves countries

The other remarked that he did the same also

I choked on my wine.

It’s something I’ve gradually then quickly fallen into the mindset that my passport (British) would likely be severed by myself the moment the British Government tried to force me as a non resident to inform them where I am, file tax returns as a non resident and no ties to the UK, etc

I remarked you truly have to do all this filing to get your pension that you paid into? To get the health service you say you are entitled to?

They thought it was normal, I left the UK when I was paying roughly 47/49% tax and they’d just increased VAT to 20% (was sold as temporary) my reasoning why was all the tax I was paying yet all the homeless people I saw, all the colleagues that got laid off and the state of the infrastructure in and around London.

At the same time my government was bailing out the Irish banking system and the Iceland banking system so they could bail out the councils that instead of utilizing the funds to maintain and upgrade invested them abroad whilst utilising the returns to give the appearance of maintenance.

The same setup exists today all across the West - it’s basically theft.

It’s hard loving one’s country or what ones country once was but the passport the citizenship means very little in a world where one can readily obtain alternative citizenships and wear them like coats that can be discarded.

I’ve come to the same conclusion with the UK, my friends much older are just happy they are the last on the gravy train - ones a bit pissed as reality is setting in that he was about 10 yrs late - but there’s a lot of self centered views that they know they voted in the people that destroyed the countries, pumped asset prices which they could then sell into the demand for and enjoy their retirements - whilst also getting funds from bankrupt states knowing that it won’t ever be repaid but they will have a good time knowing they didn’t have children that will be left with the mess.

And eventually it goes poof.
And takes nearly all assets with it l.

In that world, hard assets that have a bearer basis or digital assets that are everywhere yet nowhere are the key to survival.

It doesn’t matter what house you have if you are in that zone for they will either tax you out of it or seize it or a revolution will occur and well you are are the rich guy so it’s your head on a stake.

I don’t partake in the decline of the West bar betting against its placebo markets, currencies strength etc.

If in the west you buy stuff you can walk away from yet enjoy, or something you find acceptable to live in but are not the castle on the hill that gains attention.

I see it as something like that - as something needs to give somewhere and I’d rather it not be me handing over to despicable politicians that frankly I believe belong in the Tower of London more so than the gracious halls of West Minister.

So Hard/Digital and everything else something you can walk away from, much like you need to be willing to dump a citizenship like you’d change your shirt for the seasons.
Probably give a tad more context

As a non resident Brit

The amount of tax I was paying is irrelevant as I left so long ago that I never achieved the years required for the pension which would be 300 today based on their collated years and at most something like 600-800 based on the max state pension.

I did/do have private pension(s) but not really bothered to look at as it was carried out by the blue chips I worked for and well I know how those are managed so it’s kinda chicken feed to the past currency debasement and their allocations and future debasement and the required allocations.

As a non resident Brit over so many years I am not entitled to medical, social, or any other form of support, in addition my children can claim their citizenship (though by default become British) but the UK gov isn’t informed unless we make them aware - I decided against that to give them their own choice at the relevant time.

Though they become British - their children do not unless they are born in the UK.

So the value of my citizenship is akin to a train ticket - the ability to pass through a machine or human barrier.

In a declining world of Western superiority - little old UK passports will continue to dwindle / decline - therefore that train ticket coupled with what’s happening, what’s going to happen and what has to happen basically makes that coat as weather worn and with frays that allow the cold gusts deeply inside.

Aka last legs.

Tell us! You can skip the part where you had to use your excavator to clean up the mess smi(&%

the castle on the hill remains the safest place where to live. No punk/gypsy/thief will dare coming anywhere near and you can leave the door unlocked.
Of course the state mafia will eventually come in, uninvited, but knowing this you can prepare in advance smi(&%
When a country breaks down - society wants people to blame - sitting on that outlandish property on a hill will have pitchforks climbing the ramparts in numbers that can’t be subdued.

That’s if you make it that far and the government haven’t squeezed you out of it or found some reason to seize it for the state.

Last edited:
When a country breaks down - society wants people to blame - sitting on that outlandish property on a hill will have pitchforks climbing the ramparts in numbers that can’t be subdued.
It’s more likely that the peasants will defend my hill against the barbarians.
That’s if you make it that far and the government haven’t squeezed you out of it or found some reason to seize it for the state.
Already tried. Government lost 2-0. They need votes to continue to govern smi(&%

It’s more likely that the peasants will defend my hill against the barbarians.

Already tried. Government lost 2-0. They need votes to continue to govern smi(&%
Two things come to mind
- Holocaust (wealth grabbing & “someone to blame”.

- higher taxation

Doesn’t matter if you are in the middle of it or on the outskirts of it.

The politicians will point one way or the other.

How did the wealthy benefit from the Great Depression?

Final answer: The wealthy could benefit from the Great Depression by receiving loans through avenues such as the RFC or by purchasing devalued assets such as real estate. However, later policies under Roosevelt increased taxes on the wealthiest, signifying a policy shift.Oct 19, 2564 BE
1704052516531.png

https://brainly.com › question

- being bearer based and having the ability to walk out and not look back imo is key especially as to what will come in the decades ahead in the West.

If you are old then live it out, if you are young - move to where the next boom will be - that’s by all accounts the monsoon region around the Indian Ocean - lot of countries and a lot of different systems /options.

Even land depends on rule of law and thus a fickle government. Happened to me in West Africa that I bought a plot of land and the seller - years later - sold the same plot of land to a local pension fund that built housing on it. There is a compensation process ongoing, but I dont expect much to come out of it. I just see it as cost of doing business, and small fry in comparison to all other plots of land in West Africa that have done like 8x in value with no problems.

I like the boat idea though for having a home not depending on any government. Sure there is a more volatile world coming up and pirates, carbon taxes and port fees and stuff, but a boat is mobile and can go wherever is safest/best.

I have been asking myself the same question. I've looked at Western and non-Western countries (Philippines, Thailand, UAE etc.). Here are my key observations:
- I've decided to give up on Asia: too complex, no urban planning, very illiquid second markets, and generally hard to get your money out, typically not possible to own land, low rights as a foreigner, currency risk etc. Singapore might be interesting but super regulated and you have to pay a stamp duty of 30%. There might be some specific cases but I find it overall "unsafe" and "illiquid"
- US is bubbly and too influenced by the stock markets, high correlation in case of a financial crash.
- I ended up investing in Paris and London. Anti-climax haha but overall fits what I am looking for: no currency risk, relatively good protection, and low downside risk on the long term. Just compare the documents you get when buying in Paris vs the documents you get in Asia or other parts of Europe (basically very low information asymmetry).
- I decided not to look at Eastern Europe/Turkey because of currency risk (in Turkey) and population negative growth (eastern europe for both risks)
- climate change: This is something to pay attention to, which rules out many areas as unsafe also.
If you dont want to invest in Europe/US, then maybe focus on other types of assets...

Reactions: banafinfodafuggiano
- I ended up investing in Paris and London. Anti-climax haha but overall fits what I am looking for: no currency risk, relatively good protection, and low downside risk on the long term. Just compare the documents you get when buying in Paris vs the documents you get in Asia or other parts of Europe (basically very low information asymmetry).
Pretty much everything there i agree with, except this.

Property in the US and western markets trail that including the UK/EU core cap cities.

Have lost roughly 2.5% PA against currency debasement from 2013-2021, nominally they've risen..

And that's before you even consider the depreciation of the Euro (and for that matter the Pound) over the period, and the future debasement/depreciation that is baked in.

Alongside Governments that are in debt up to their eye balls and will become increasingly 'violent' as the walls close in.

Latest Threads