Our valued sponsor

Seychelles vs SVG for crypto trading

TheCryptoAnt

Pro Member
Aug 1, 2022
Underground
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I've been using a Seychelles IBC (owned by a FZCO) for crypto trading for some time. However, I can't stop bumping into more and more people who use SVG for the same purpose.

Why tho? Both structures on paper look similar to me. Is there any regulation I'm missing? Any specific crypto rule?
Is there any way to bank a crypto trading company from SVG? Seychelles is doable but idk about the other.

ty

What kind of crypto trading?

SVG's popularity as in many cases been due to marketing, poor if any regulatory oversight, and low cost. There are some people out there pushing SVG as absent crypto regulations, when in reality they do have laws.

>Seychelles IBC (owned by a FZCO)

Whats the advantage of this combo ?
An interesting topic for another thread. Let's stay on topic here, though.

What kind of crypto trading?

Primarily futures on Binance and yield from Nexo, ~$5M AUM. No DeFi nor on-chain, and I manage portfolios for two clients.

SVG's popularity as in many cases been due to marketing, poor if any regulatory oversight, and low cost. There are some people out there pushing SVG as absent crypto regulations, when in reality they do have laws.

What type of 'crypto regulations'? Any significant ones? Maybe you have a link I can read? Most info I can find online is vague at best.

Ive read SVG 'IBC's dont have to keep books? That'll be great as its a bit of a pain for me to generate reports as most softwares for this purpose are trash.

ty

Reactions: TheCryptoAnt

After reviewing this document, it appears to mainly pertain to crypto exchanges/FX brokers that accept crypto deposits. It also addresses companies that launch a token.

If you are trading your own money, this may not apply to you (unless I'm mistaken in my interpretation). However in my case, as I have two clients, it seems that this would indeed apply to me. It remains unclear how likely I am to finesse the SVG FSA (feasible imo).

So, if my interpretation is correct, SVG is indeed better than SC as theres no accounting requirement and its cheaper to maintain. This being said it would be more difficult to bank a SVG crypto trading company than an SC, unless you know of an EMI I dont.

Hey @wellington u may know something here I don't? Id appreciate any input from your side.

Reactions: wellington
So, if my interpretation is correct, SVG is indeed better than SC as theres no accounting requirement and its cheaper to maintain.
I never found such aspects particularly compelling. Don't do my own accounting and the cost of having someone else accounting is easily redeemed in the form of easier operating of business (mainly around tax and banking).

But to each their own.

This being said it would be more difficult to bank a SVG crypto trading company than an SC, unless you know of an EMI I dont.
The reputation of SVG is a problem when you begin to approach banks. Both are low-cost, opaque tax havens with and suffer from that. It's just that SVG is disproportionately popular with unlicensed forex and such, whereas Seychelles requires and issues licenses. You end up guilt by association.

I never found such aspects particularly compelling. Don't do my own accounting and the cost of having someone else accounting is easily redeemed in the form of easier operating of business (mainly around tax and banking).

But to each their own.

I don't really care tbh but you should see how bad the crypto tax/reporting software is. Even the most refined ones import data full of errors, and it takes days to manually correct everything. If they just let me be (SVG) it's a plus for me.

The reputation of SVG is a problem when you begin to approach banks. Both are low-cost, opaque tax havens with and suffer from that. It's just that SVG is disproportionately popular with unlicensed forex and such, whereas Seychelles requires and issues licenses. You end up guilt by association.

Indeed banking this setup is difficult, but in my case, I can survive without a bank account.

Let's see if someone adds something in the following days while I do some extra research, but it's not looking bad.

In my case, I'm not sure what to do—whether to keep the Seychelles IBC (owned by the FZCO) or move my trading to the FZCO (as trading is an excepted activity). SVG sounds good, but it seems like dealing with them is a pain.
hard to say, if its all in fzco might needs vara license too since you have 3d party funds, if they become strict. On the plus side, maybe banking will become an option and a simplified structure.

hard to say, if its all in fzco might needs vara license too since you have 3d party funds, if they become strict. On the plus side, maybe banking will become an option and a simplified structure.

If they make my life easier in terms of setup/license (or lack thereof) I'll drop my clients like it's hot. They are peanuts in comparison to my balance.

Still investigating...

so imma continue with my set up until the Emirati government provides guidance on crypto trading taxes.
Based on what they say, I'll adapt.

I'll update the thread when the time comes.
theres that rakdao thingy. Idk however if its any good i have not heard any feedback from folks i know and went thru so far, its fairly new but seems promising (as so often ;)).

theres that rakdao thingy. Idk however if its any good i have not heard any feedback from folks i know and went thru so far, its fairly new but seems promising (as so often ;)).

They told me that "proprietary trading digital assets" business activity is non-regulated. It does seem promising and fairly cheap (considering legal fees elsewhere), but I am not sure if this is exempt from CIT.