Our valued sponsor

Thai bank account turist visa

Whats that obsession anyway of getting a thai bank account?

Imho its completely useless one unless one will spend prolonged and extended time there (many months of every single year) which will raise the question of getting an adequate visa anyway which in turn will make opening an account like a walk in the park.

*The currency is pretty much useless outside of its region, not on an african level but not that much away from it either.
*General transaction amounts are low due to low level of income/wealth of the vast majority.
*No place for offshore banking due to being a somewhat closed currency.
*Inflation incoming in 2024 and thereafter due to certain plans proposed starting early next year.

So what good is it for? Same goes for an account in Cambodia,Malaysia or Laos etc.

Everything you said is true, but the reality is that a Thai bank account can still have its place in your offshoring arsenal.

For instance, they generally have no comissions (or laughable ones), very low minimum balance requirements, and you get a debit card that you can use anywhere in the world (online and in ATMs).

Yes, inflation can be a problem, but it can also be used to your advantage. The Thai baht has always been relatively stable anyways, fluctuating (predictably) around the 1USD = 35 baht mark. It is also a relatively strong currency in the region, making that Thai debit card very useful in Vietnam, Laos, etc.

I agree that this may change next year with the threat of inflation due to the new rules though. We'll just have to wait and see.

Imho its completely useless one unless one will spend prolonged and extended time there (many months of every single year) which will raise the question of getting an adequate visa anyway which in turn will make opening an account like a walk in the park.

*The currency is pretty much useless outside of its region, not on an african level but not that much away from it either.
*General transaction amounts are low due to low level of income/wealth of the vast majority.
*Inflation incoming in 2024 and thereafter due to certain plans proposed starting early next year.

So what good is it for? Same goes for an account in Cambodia,Malaysia or Laos etc.
In fact, I currently spend several months a year in Thailand. Right now, my visa is not a problem because I still enjoy flying to another country every 60 days. I also fly back to my home country several times a year.

I can say with certainty that having a bank account in Thailand makes a lot of things easier. Also, I am getting tired of watching my bag of 1,2 and 5 Bath coins getting bigger and bigger. I was already stopped at the airport one day because I was carrying almost 4000 THB in small coins. Sure, there may be other solutions, but the most sustainable for me would definitely be a local bank account.

The annual operating costs are also negligibly low. With such things I go completely after the motto: Better have than need.

Back to the topic: In case anybody can help with the Certificate of Residence, I’d be truly thankful!

Reactions: jafo
Back to the topic: In case anybody can help with the Certificate of Residence, I’d be truly thankful!

You need a TM30, which only a landlord can produce.

It's strange that the bank asked for that though. But if that's all they need, just rent something with a lease agreement (even if it's only for a few months), make sure that the landlord will give you a TM30 and you are all set.

Note that some hotels can also give you a TM30, so that can also work. Stay one night in one of those and get a TM30. Then try getting the certificate with that (though you'd be missing the rental agreement, but it could work).

Again, if you're serious about this, try another city. This kind of stuff where you need to bend the rules slightly to your favor always works much better in small cities. Why? People are usually more helpful, they have more time, less people in line, etc. In banks, in immigration, everywhere. This rule applies to every country in the world, in my experience.

Anyways, try the TM30 now, and keep us updated :)

its somewhat disconnected from the west so its worth as a hedge imo

To be able to open a bank account, I am still missing the "Certificate of Residence". Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to figure out how to get this document
500 THB (donation) immigration....

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/8Public-Handbook.pdf [ignore fees on this, must be translation issue]

1) Have you looked at the BAHT against the $ and Pound and EURO over the past decade?
2) Have you looked at the skill(s) and demographics in Thailand?
3) Have you considered the 'privacy' that Thai banks afford (not Gov privacy) but generic privacy.
4) Have you considered that Thai banking apps offer the ability to transfer 2,000,000 THB international at the click of a button with real simplicity?
5) Have you considered Thailand is a country that produces most of its food via its vast agricultural base, whilst also increasingly becoming a factory for the world, as China is sin-binned? - inflation happens predominantly in countries that import... not export.

Last edited:

You should quote my whole post, not just the critical points. TLDR was: get a visa first and then worry about the bank account, which than comes with ease.
Using at as a offshore only will invite trouble sooner or later.

1) Have you looked at the BAHT against the $ and Pound and EURO over the past decade?
Yes, theres that famous table usd vs all fiat currencies over 10y.
Not that impressive tho Baht being down 14.6% over 10y, but also not too bad.
But being in Chf, Sgd and usd has been better over 10y.

And many here on this forum still bank in Switzerland or Singapore or Us.
But holding large cash piles is anyway useless when you can hold Bitcoin, which is vastly superior to any nation state currency.
2) Have you looked at the skill(s) and demographics in Thailand?
Yah, seems good, not what I am used to measure with personally, but its certainly very ok and above average. But Id eye on Vietnam for that.
But the demographics is not too great either. Cannot beat Africa regarding demographics or also Vietnam.
Thai brokers themselves tout Vietnam having higher growth.

3) Have you considered the 'privacy' that Thai banks afford (not Gov privacy) but generic privacy.

You said before in posts they are really advanced with tracking and AI and all of that and the aml bs crap too advising against p2p inside thailand etc.
So what is the privacy you're talking about?

I can have this way better in Switzerland for example or remote banks in Africa.

4) Have you considered that Thai banking apps offer the ability to transfer 2,000,000 THB international at the click of a button with real simplicity?
Questions will arise and how do you answer these without work permit?

Its "only" 50k, I can transfer out of HK with ease a big multiple of that across certain Asian countries for 0 fees, or simply swift.
Same works for Swiss banking or US as well.

5) Have you considered Thailand is a country that produces most of its food via its vast agricultural base, whilst also increasingly becoming a factory for the world, as China is sin-binned? - inflation happens predominantly in countries that import... not export.
Thats great. Hence I said. Get an adequate visa first and worry about banks later. Thailand does import oil however.
Nevertheless, its a good spot however, and worthwhile to have a visa for (which allows for having banking without tricks).

In fact, I currently spend several months a year in Thailand. Right now, my visa is not a problem because I still enjoy flying to another country every 60 days. I also fly back to my home country several times a year.

I can say with certainty that having a bank account in Thailand makes a lot of things easier. Also, I am getting tired of watching my bag of 1,2 and 5 Bath coins getting bigger and bigger. I was already stopped at the airport one day because I was carrying almost 4000 THB in small coins. Sure, there may be other solutions, but the most sustainable for me would definitely be a local bank account.

The annual operating costs are also negligibly low. With such things I go completely after the motto: Better have than need.

Cant you get a visa for Thailand which does not depend on "border runs"?

Last edited:
You need a TM30, which only a landlord can produce.

It's strange that the bank asked for that though. But if that's all they need, just rent something with a lease agreement (even if it's only for a few months), make sure that the landlord will give you a TM30 and you are all set.

Note that some hotels can also give you a TM30, so that can also work. Stay one night in one of those and get a TM30. Then try getting the certificate with that (though you'd be missing the rental agreement, but it could work).

Again, if you're serious about this, try another city. This kind of stuff where you need to bend the rules slightly to your favor always works much better in small cities. Why? People are usually more helpful, they have more time, less people in line, etc. In banks, in immigration, everywhere. This rule applies to every country in the world, in my experience.

Anyways, try the TM30 now, and keep us updated :)
I already do have a TM30 report. It's just not clear for me what the next steps are, as the immigration in Bangkok told me they cannot issue a certificate of residence. Perhaps the lady working there just got me wrong, as her English was not that good. Thing is, that it takes me around 4–5 hours to get to the immigration and back home again, so I'd prefer to be well-prepared before taking further steps.

I read in some sources that the embassy from your home country is required to issue the document (in case of holding a TR visa), have you heard of that as well?

Reactions: CoinMaster
Since I also came across the advice to do some bank-hopping during further research, I visited a couple of branches of some banks. It really seems to be easiest at the Bangkok Bank. Unfortunately it is still not as easy as some of you had mentioned. I didn’t try to visit a bank with 200,000 THB in cash and ask for a bank account but I consider the chances of success as quite low.
If you have free time I think your best chance is to select an area/district and visit every single bank branch, bringing supporting docs you currently have + cash along. It all depends on the bank branch/manager policy. I bet you will eventually end up with an account.

If I were you I will start with branches within malls as it's conveniently open everyday.

Reactions: TheCryptoAnt
May I know what are the "new rules" you guys are mentioning?

Thai residents will start being taxed on foreign-income remitted into Thailand. In the past (and until December of this year) it was possible to remit money into Thailand without paying tax on it or even declaring it, legally.

The new rule will definitely result in less money remitted into Thailand, especially large remittances from resident investors/real estate owners, which will impact the Thai baht negatively.

How much of an impact it will have is unknown though. It can range from negligible to a plummeting Thai baht.

You know what they say, ask 10 economists, and you'll get 10 different answers...

Reactions: bibing
If you have free time I think your best chance is to select an area/district and visit every single bank branch, bringing supporting docs you currently have + cash along. It all depends on the bank branch/manager policy. I bet you will eventually end up with an account.

If I were you I will start with branches within malls as it's conveniently open everyday.
This is the way to go. I've used this method before. I was being told no even in 6 branches before the 7th finally opened an account for me.

I just wanted to give everyone here an update of my journey to get a Thai bank account.

I have visited around 50 branches of different banks in Bangkok. Only one branch of Bangkok bank was willing to open a bank account for me if I can provide a certificate of residence beside some other documents. After spending some effort in getting all the documents they asked me for, the bank required me again to bring a filled out confirmation of my embassy here in BKK. Unfortunately, my embassy declined to fill out those third-party documents.

It seems like the only option to get a bank account in BKK as a foreigner these days is to either get a proper visa or spend 10-15k THB for some mafia agencies.

Thank you sooooooo much for this lovely information from your experience @Reawake ! It makes good sense that someone can't just walk into a Bangkok Bank and open an account without proper documents. I would have be surprised if that would work.

No need to get sarcastic or passive-aggressive. Not a long time ago, it was surprisingly easy to open a bank account at a Thai bank, and you'll wonder, but every branch makes their own rules. Even though Bangkok Bank is advertising they'll open a bank account for foreigners even on visa exemption or tourist visa — most branches don't. As in my case, the only Bangkok Bank branch I found, which was willing to open a bank account, asked for a confirmation from my embassy, but unfortunately, my embassy doesn't provide this kind of confirmation.

I was only trying to provide some values to others on this board, who are maybe also considering opening a bank account with the same visa situation here like me.

I just wanted to give everyone here an update of my journey to get a Thai bank account.

I have visited around 50 branches of different banks in Bangkok. Only one branch of Bangkok bank was willing to open a bank account for me if I can provide a certificate of residence beside some other documents. After spending some effort in getting all the documents they asked me for, the bank required me again to bring a filled out confirmation of my embassy here in BKK. Unfortunately, my embassy declined to fill out those third-party documents.

It seems like the only option to get a bank account in BKK as a foreigner these days is to either get a proper visa or spend 10-15k THB for some mafia agencies.

In a dating forum, after 50 failed attempts, they would tell you to hit the gym and be confident. Did you hit the gym and show confidence when entering the banks?

On the other hand, you may try cities outside of Bangkok. Rules can be more relaxed in smaller provinces. Or just get a proper visa, especially if you want to stick around during the next year or so.

• Haha

DM me I know a lawyers office in Pattaya thatll help u open one for ~$150

Latest Threads