Our valued sponsor

Please help! US LLC vs Canadian LLP for a Hungarian tax resident?

gap

Jul 8, 2022
Hungary
Visit site
I think as I'm getting into the topic of tax optimization I'm evaluating my situation here in Hungary, which is not too bad. My case: I can't move for the next 4-5 years, I'm currently self-employed with an annual income of 200k-220k USD and 300k in savings, I offer consulting services (digital-product design). My current total tax rate is around 35%. However I would like to attract more serious clients so I would need an entity with a stronger prestige. I'm thinking about US LLC in WY or Canadian LLP in BC. Most of my current clients are from the US.

My goal:
Tbh If I can just take the 9% CIT out of the formula I'm good. I will pay myself a salary slightly above the minimum wage so that I would have no other tax-liability for dividends other than the 15% PIT.

The other thing is that I'm currently working on the productization of my service, so I will need a payment processor in the future.

My questions:
- Can I skip the Hungarian 9% CIT or have tax liability here because the actual place of business-management is located in Hungary?
- I know this is not a lot of money but is it worth thinking about asset protection and build a more complex structure?
- Should I keep my sole proprietorship in Hungary?
- Unfortunately I don't have a partner to partner with so this could be a problem with LLP? How about create a US LLC and make it as a partner in my CA LLP (alongside me as an individual)?
- As a US LLC, can I invoice US clients and retain pass-through status?
- What services would you recommend that would make it easy to set up the company?

I'm also open to any other smart ideas that do not involve moving. :)

I think as I'm getting into the topic of tax optimization I'm evaluating my situation here in Hungary, which is not too bad. My case: I can't move for the next 4-5 years, I'm currently self-employed with an annual income of 200k-220k USD and 300k in savings, I offer consulting services (digital-product design). My current total tax rate is around 35%. However I would like to attract more serious clients so I would need an entity with a stronger prestige.
As long as you aren't incorporated or resident somewhere sketchy or high risk, extremely few clients care. TBH, it's sketchier that a Hungarian person living in Hungary is presenting a Canadian company than a Hungarian company.

My questions:
- Can I skip the Hungarian 9% CIT or have tax liability here because the actual place of business-management is located in Hungary?
No. Your foreign company will be subject to Hungarian corporate tax rules. Then it's just a matter of whether Hungary recognizes your chosen entity as a pass-through entity, i.e. is your US LLC/CA LLP a Kft or Kkt/Bt?

- I know this is not a lot of money but is it worth thinking about asset protection and build a more complex structure?
Asset protection from whom? Under what circumstances? What kind of assets?

- Should I keep my sole proprietorship in Hungary?
Yes, because forming a foreign company is only going to make things worse for you.

- Unfortunately I don't have a partner to partner with so this could be a problem with LLP? How about create a US LLC and make it as a partner in my CA LLP (alongside me as an individual)?
Yes, you can have another company as a partner and you can be the sole owner of that other company. Of course, banks might think this is a little strange when you try to open bank accounts for the LLC or LLP.

- As a US LLC, can I invoice US clients and retain pass-through status?
Yes.

I'm also open to any other smart ideas that do not involve moving. :)
Consider changing nothing. Don't mess this up. At 220,000 USD/year in income, you are high enough in the income/wealth bracket in Hungary that you're more likely than the average person to be investigated if the tax office catches wind of anything.

If you are a Hungarian citizen, even leaving Hungary doesn't change your personal tax situation. Hungary taxes its citizens even after they leave Hungary.

No. Your foreign company will be subject to Hungarian corporate tax rules. Then it's just a matter of whether Hungary recognizes your chosen entity as a pass-through entity, i.e. is your US LLC/CA LLP a Kft or Kkt/Bt?
Sorry but I'm confused, if the US LLC is a pass-through entity then its income will be included in my personal tax return, right? 15% personal income tax and 13% social contribution tax, no 9% CIT.
Or I can do anything as long as I live here I have to pay corporate tax at the company level because the tax authorities treat my "entities" as KFTs?

Sorry but I'm confused, if the US LLC is a pass-through entity then its income will be included in my personal tax return, right? 15% personal income tax and 13% social contribution tax, no 9% CIT.
Or I can do anything as long as I live here I have to pay corporate tax at the company level because the tax authorities treat my "entities" as KFTs?
A US LLC is a pass-through in the US. What does Hungarian law say about it? For example, in Canada, US LLCs are not considered pass-through entities. If you live in Canada and operate a US LLC, the LLC has to pay corporate income tax in Canada.

Some countries accept US LLCs as pass-through, some consider them taxable entities, and many haven't had a reason to make a decision yet, making it uncertain what would happen.

Yes, because forming a foreign company is only going to make things worse for you.
I understand what you're saying but unfortunately I have to do something because from 2024 there will be no double taxation treaty between Hungary and the US, I think this will affect my current operations 90% of my clients are from the US. But I'm not sure, maybe as a sole proprietor it doesn't affect me. I will talk to a tax advisor, but do you know anything about this?

If you have US clients, you risk US taxes with a US LLC. It might be better to use a non-US company. But like @Sols said, you'd have to check how Hungary treats such a setup.
Do you need all that money? Why don't you pay the 9% CIT and keep the money in the company? You'd only pay tax on what you pay out. And paying dividends instead of a salary (or a mix of both) might lower your taxes, too. I'd start by talking to a Hungarian tax advisor. I'm sure there are ways to lower your tax rate.
Then you could consider adding something like a Canadian LP - but why? Hungary has good reputation, it's where you're located, what's the problem?

I understand what you're saying but unfortunately I have to do something because from 2024 there will be no double taxation treaty between Hungary and the US, I think this will affect my current operations 90% of my clients are from the US. But I'm not sure, maybe as a sole proprietor it doesn't affect me. I will talk to a tax advisor, but do you know anything about this?
How are you currently benefitting from the tax treaty?

Generally speaking, I don't see how the absence of a double taxation treaty would adversely affect your situation where you invoice US clients as a Hungarian sole proprietor or as a Hungarian company.

Adding a US LLC just seems like an unnecessary complication with no benefits.

Reactions: AnonymousCryptoOTC