Our valued sponsor

Why USA banks, EMIs and crypto exchanges are strict on compliance?

rockrock

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
USA pressured others to implement FATCA. Yet, USA didn't join CRS and doesn't report (as much) to other countries.

It's been said that USA does that since they can afford it due to economical and military power. Few countries would dare to employ sanctions against USA. Ok, got it. Furthermore it's been said that USA is or wants to be a tax haven for not-US persons for tax purposes. That one I am not sure about.

On the other hand, banks, EMIs and crypto exchanges are similarly annoying about compliance than other countries. That they keep checking for violent stuff, drugs connections, OK I get it, they wouldn't want that since these things could harm USA too but tax evasion? For example, they ask for a TIN for foreigners residing in third world vassal countries which would never be a threat for USA or dare to speak up. Why would they care about not-US persons wanting to stash money in USA if it was taxed? Did the US government forget them to send the memo to go easy on that so money can flow to and stay inside US?

I don't understand the overall USA global tax strategy. They want "global tax justice"? I hope not but then they would join CRS and similar international tax information sharing agreements. They want to be a tax haven for non-US persons for tax purposes? Then regulation or pressure on financial institutes should be lax as soon as it's a bout a customer that doesn't have any US tax liability. Other explanations? Incompetence or uncaring?

Well welcome to US Exceptionalism. I think you are at the beginning of understanding its real meaning. Basically they feel they are above the law, they can make the rules but also don't have to follow them if they choose not to as they are.....an exceptionalist nation right :rolleyes:.

USA pressured others to implement FATCA. Yet, USA didn't join CRS and doesn't report (as much) to other countries.

The US reasoning is the CRS is a duplication of effort of FATCA and reading notes in margin on first page of AEOI Commitment documents the OECD seems to agree a little. The US will anyway not sign with CRS as there is nothing in it for them over FATCA. You can call that an America first policy.....lol

Basically the US does what it wants, when it wants, how it wants and where it wants. The rest of the world can go to hell in a hand basket. They feel nothing applies to them. They can join and leave international agreements when they feel like it because after all they are after all an exception to any rule.

P.S You may want to google the real meaning of what America First policy actually means or listen to Donald Trump. Same with American Exceptionalism as to me it just means they feel they are above any international law, can dishonor any agreement and do not need to keep their word :confused:.

Reactions: flashbang