Our valued sponsor

Question Bank account opening personally in EU

thinkaliyum

Apr 26, 2022
Greenland
Visit site
Well, the pandemic is still here, and also other personal problems, but maybe it's the only way.

Is it possible to open a personal banking account in a "brick and mortar" bank in some country in Europe?

I am well aware thst I could do it even by phone, but obviously there is a cost, or better saying, a "level" that I am not in yet.

I am a Brazilian citizen. I would like to have an account in UK, because of the company that I opened there. But even being a "must", I can live without it, for now or forever.

So, what are my options, if any? What country, what bank/s? I would like to be a walk in, without a problem sending an email/calling to schedule.
Ideally 50k EUR or less.

Oh, and it can sound stupid, but the colder/norther the country, the better. If I am going to cross the fu** Atlantic, I would like to have some days of decent weather.

I appreciate any input.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Is it possible to open a personal banking account in a "brick and mortar" bank in some country in Europe?

Is there any specific reason you want a bank you walk into? Brick and mortar is wrong way to look at banks today. You want to look at deposit protection, their balance sheet and ownership.

In any case you can just open online with any bank that has EU or UK deposit protection. For 50k EURO look at Mano Bank in Lithuania perhaps. But for 50k an EMI like Wise would be on my list unless there is real reason you need a bank and for it to be a bricks and mortar one.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Is there any specific reason you want a bank you walk into? Brick and mortar is wrong way to look at banks today. You want to look at deposit protection, their balance sheet and ownership.

In any case you can just open online with any bank that has EU or UK deposit protection. For 50k EURO look at Mano Bank in Lithuania perhaps. But for 50k an EMI like Wise would be on my list unless there is real reason you need a bank and for it to be a bricks and mortar one.
I have an impression that he's looking for a bank that won't be closing account randomly. Brick and mortar banks have that reputation to close accounts only after they gave you plenty of chances to explain your transactions

Totally agree, for small businesses that don't have more than 50K EMI's are fine.