Our valued sponsor

Bank of Georgia for Personal Account?

they lie to my...they said it's technical problem at few days ago

According to they said today...it's absolutely regulation problem...I'm afraid their USD Intermediary (Citi bank) has problem now~

from Bank of Georgia online customer service:

"as non-resident account, you can't transfer USD to other banks, you can only transfer GEL~"

"We don't know when it will fixed...even you go to Georgia, you can't transfer USD, unless you're resident of Georgia"

....it's crazy~ :(

According to they said today...it's absolutely regulation problem...I'm afraid their USD Intermediary (Citi bank) has problem now~

"as non-resident account, you can't transfer USD to other banks, you can only transfer GEL~"

"We don't know when it will fixed...even you go to Georgia, you can't transfer USD, unless you're resident of Georgia"

Oh damn ... RIP BoG.
Can you at least exchange to EUR and then wire it?

This is the beginning of the END for this bank. I'm sure they will lose against Great America.

Oh damn ... RIP BoG.
Can you at least exchange to EUR and then wire it?

it seems back to normal now...

"Greetings from bank of Georgia ,

Dear XXXX,

Please try again to make the transfer ,

Also please take a look that , in the case of transferring in Georgia in Different Bank and in another currency ( not GEL ) , you will need to write down the Recipient Country of Residence and Recipient Address and in Description line you can use only 66 symbols,

Please let us know the result ,

Best Regards ,

Customer Service Team | JSC Bank of Georgia"

this kind minor update...in China it may takes one hour to online again~but BOG take one week and freeze the USD transfer~

I think the problem is I'm from China...can't understand this kind inefficiencies :p

Hello

Can anyone update if bank of Georgia is considered to be a solid bank these day?

Will you bank with them with large amounts (6 digits in USD)?

They offer also high interest in their local currency, and the exchange rate compared to the USD is the highest ever now, so maybe it is a good time to convert to GEL (their local currency). I understand that the exchange rate is a reflection of the economy (and there is probably a good reason it is where it is) but MAYBE there is an opportunity here.

იმოქმედე, არ გაჩერდე!
XE: USD / GEL Currency Chart. US Dollar to Georgian Lari Rates

Can someone with experience shed some light on:

1. Are they a solid and stable bank and what do you think is their future (to stay solid or maybe they have significant exposures, let’s say, to the Turkish Economy (which is in a bad shape lately)?
2. What do you say about further devaluations in their local currency?
3. Will you put a 6 digits amount as fixed deposit with them in their local currency?

I will appreciate some guidance in evaluating the risk. Does anyone has an experience with them in this field?

Reactions: aage
Georgia as a whole is a successful growth story following its war with Russia just over 10 years ago. I had no problems with BoG. I took the decision to bank with BoG as it is a systematically important banks in Georgia. So the government will likely step in if there is a problem but don't rely on this.

1. Are they a solid and stable bank and what do you think is their future (to stay solid or maybe they have significant exposures, let’s say, to the Turkish Economy (which is in a bad shape lately)?

Look Georgia as a whole is junk rated country by every international agency. No bank in Georgia can be rated above the sovereign rating of the country its in unfortunately so BoG is junk rated too. You would be keeping money with a junk rated bank if that means anything to you.

Recent troubles with Russia and a hit on the tourism industry and airline industry etc made an impact. You need to watch the relation with Russia carefully.

3. Will you put a 6 digits amount as fixed deposit with them in their local currency?

I did actually put 7 when I lived there. You have to understand the risks and know what your willing to lose. Understand you will be speculating by keeping your money in any bank in Georgia so once you understand that you will be happy with the decision you make.

What is it with you and Georgia FUD?
I'll just leave Georgia Heritage review here - Georgia Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation, Business, Trade, FDI, Corruption so anyone could decide for themselves
TBC bank is admittedly better than BOG for regular customer, it has lower fees and better trained staff. If you are looking for personal manager kind of banking (TBC Status / BOG Solo) - no considerable difference.
TBC however, unlike other banks, does not under any circumstances allow remote account opening with Power of Attorney.

Recently opened personal bank account with TBC Status remotely without going to Georgia. Received debit card from our lawyer by DHL. PIN code was sent directly from TBC Bank by SMS. Internet banking username and pass was emailed by personal banker.
What is it with you and Georgia FUD?
I'll just leave Georgia Heritage review here - Georgia Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation, Business, Trade, FDI, Corruption so anyone could decide for themselves
TBC bank is admittedly better than BOG for regular customer, it has lower fees and better trained staff. If you are looking for personal manager kind of banking (TBC Status / BOG Solo) - no considerable difference.
TBC however, unlike other banks, does not under any circumstances allow remote account opening with Power of Attorney.
Actually last part is not true. I recently opened personal bank account with TBC Status remotely without actually going to Georgia. Our lawyer sent us card by DHL. I received PIN code by SMS directly from TBC Bank, later user name and password was emailed to me by my personal banker. Super easy and convenient.

Attachments

• C54941C8-5528-4071-BFBD-E071F536BB04.jpeg
    C54941C8-5528-4071-BFBD-E071F536BB04.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 250
Hello

Can anyone update if bank of Georgia is considered to be a solid bank these day?
IT IS ONE OF THE BEST BANKS IN THE COUNTRY ( TBC BANKS AS WELL).

Will you bank with them with large amounts (6 digits in USD)? YES. FOR SURE.

Can someone with experience shed some light on:

TURKISH EXPOSE HAS NOTHING TO DO MUCH WITH THEIR EXPOSURE.
RUSSIA IS A MORE SERIOUS ISSUE THERE.

IT IS GOING FOR A WHILE AND IT'S STEADY. NO PROBLEM SO FAR.

3. Will you put a 6 digits amount as fixed deposit with them in their local currency? YES

I will appreciate some guidance in evaluating the risk. Does anyone has an experience with them in this field?

Hello Greetings,
Want to ask anyone here had experience with Amex Platinum issued in Georgia?
Regards
Hi,

I have the AMEX platinum from Bank of Georgia via SOLO since 2018.

You can't compare it to the AMEX platinum from US, UK or let's say Germany when it comes to the reward points.

Everything else like priority pass is the same you get with the AMEX.

Keep in mind that they can't send you the AMEX and you need to go to Georgia to collect it there.

Back in 2018 for the SOLO Visa cards it was possible to get them by DHL.

Looking back from today I would just go with the SOLO Visa cards as they have 20.000 EUR/USD/GBP dailiy ATM limit and are multicurrency - the AMEX is issued in GEL.