Our valued sponsor

Buying car in Europe as a non resident

mike400

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
My current status: non resident in EU, but have an EU passport.

I'd like to buy a car and for travelling around EU. Obviously I don't wanna become a resident in any EU country where I'd need to pay taxes.

What would be the best way to get the car?

Reactions: EliasIT
I've heard registering your car in Andorra could be a good choice.

Looks like that might be an option... Anybody has any experience with this?

"Non-residents of Andorra can also register and register their car in Andorra. In these cases, temporary tourist or temporary license plates are issued and need to be renewed every year. The registration costs are the same as for the registration of an ordinary registration except the residence certificate, and Only residents of non-EU countries are allowed to drive vehicles registered in Andorra outside the Principality."

Another option I was thinking about is incorporating an EU company and buying the car under the company. I'd avoid paying VAT this way (if I buy the car from a company) and also will be able to sell it without the VAT (to another company) if I decide to get rid of the car. Thoughts?

Reactions: EliasIT
My current status: non resident in EU, but have an EU passport.

I'd like to buy a car and for travelling around EU. Obviously I don't wanna become a resident in any EU country where I'd need to pay taxes.

What would be the best way to get the car?
Buy the car in countries like Sweden or Germany where cars are very cheap compared to many other countries.

You could also look into a short leasing agreement.

You can buy pretty much any car in Germany cash as a private person. Nobody is going to care about your residency or citizenship. People come as far as from North Africa, buy cars and drive them back.

Your problem will be to get plates and insurance. For that you need to be “living” somewhere.

Latest Threads