Our valued sponsor

Does USA - FATCA exchange information with European tax authorities?

maxmoney

Mentor Group Gold Premium
Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
I have been wondering whether American authorities or services like PayPal respond with financial information and details to European tax authorities upon inquiries? Or are such requests ignored by the US side?

I'm not certain about FATCA, but I can confidently say that PayPal and U.S. banks report in great detail to the tax authorities. As mentioned in another thread, a close friend in Denmark is currently facing severe challenges with the tax authorities.

I am closely following the entire process to learn from it and to contribute information here on OCT that could be crucial for others in the same situation, as well as for those who are simply interested in the subject.

Reactions: wellington
Company depositary accounts (like the LLCs) are not reported since they are not subject to FACTA.

Personal accounts are usually reported if they earn more than $10 in dividends (but you have to read the FACTA agreement between your country and the USA).

For example, if you are a UAE resident there are no reportable accounts from USA, if you are a Germany resident they are reported if you earn more than $10 in dividends, and not the total balance is reported but the total US source income you earned in your account, for example from dividends and others (source https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/FATCA-Agreement-Germany-5-31-2013.pdf - read German Reportable Account and Account of each Reporting U.S. Financial Institution: sections).

I have been wondering whether American authorities or services like PayPal respond with financial information and details to European tax authorities upon inquiries? Or are such requests ignored by the US side?

Yes they do. I discussed how i.e American Express handed over data to Netherlands on request in another thread.

You also need to be sure your really using PayPal US. As PayPal EU is a Luxembourg licensed bank and data would be easily available to European Tax man.

Latest Threads